Slingbox with DishAnywhere - How?

blue

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Anyone know how to get Dish Anywhere to work with a classic Slingbox (mine is a Slingbox HD Pro)? It used to work until recently. My Slingbox is connected to a 622 and I was previously able to watch live TV (or DVR recordings) via the Slingbox using the Dish iPhone, iPad and Android DISH apps. Now none of them work and I can only watch remotely via Slingbox.com. I suspect an update occurred to Dish Anywhere and my Slingbox has become a boat anchor unless I shell out $15 for the Sling player app.

Any other classic slingers out there?

DishAnywhere is designed to work with Dish's Sling Adaptor (the receivers with built in sling is as well), but it is different than how the Sling Box units are designed and controlled. You may be able to get some part to work (which I doubt the two types will even interface), but you will not get full functionality from crossing the two.

As garys stated, the Slingbox is not compatible with DISHAnywhere, only the Sling Adapter is designed to work with that application. Thanks.

Anyone know how to get Dish Anywhere to work with a classic Slingbox (mine is a Slingbox HD Pro)? It used to work until recently. My Slingbox is connected to a 622 and I was previously able to watch live TV (or DVR recordings) via the Slingbox using the Dish iPhone, iPad and Android DISH apps. Now none of them work and I can only watch remotely via Slingbox.com. I suspect an update occurred to Dish Anywhere and my Slingbox has become a boat anchor unless I shell out $15 for the Sling player app.

Any other classic slingers out there?

If you are trying to say the Slingplayer App...the red icon with a horshoe design...that works with the slingboxes. I have a classic and a prohd. But you posted Dish Anywhere. That is a different app for use with a Dish Receiver not a Slingbox. Which are you trying to use?

If you are trying to say the Slingplayer App...the red icon with a horshoe design...that works with the slingboxes. I have a classic and a prohd. But you posted Dish Anywhere. That is a different app for use with a Dish Receiver not a Slingbox. Which are you trying to use?
He would like to use Dish Anywhere to avoid paying for the Slingplayer app. Apparently, he used to be able to connect with a previous Dish app, probably a version of DRA. But, the new Dish Anywhere doesn't work, as has been noted.

Thanks all for responding. The Dish Remote app used to allow me to connect to my 622/Slingbox combo seamlessly - no Slingplayer app needed. Since the Dish Remote app was 'upgraded' to Dish Anywhere, that capability stopped working. Apparently, Dish did this with intent - I guess I'm not paying them enough.

Yes you have to pay for it. It most likely has nothing to do with Dish intentionally doing it, the DRA worked differently, connected differently. Even when it did work it certainly wasn't seamless for me, there was always problems. I didn't care because the acutal slinbox app works flawlessly, in fact with the latest update better than at anytime since it's inception.

Thanks all for responding. The Dish Remote app used to allow me to connect to my 622/Slingbox combo seamlessly - no Slingplayer app needed. Since the Dish Remote app was 'upgraded' to Dish Anywhere, that capability stopped working. Apparently, Dish did this with intent - I guess I'm not paying them enough.

If you upgraded the 622 to a 722, then you can use the Sling Adaptor.

Thanks for that insight Tampa8. When the original Slingbox app came out with a $30 price tag and lukewarm reviews, I blew it off. Since the DRA worked OK for me, I never reconsidered. It's good to hear the latest (and apparently, well overdue) update is pretty good. It might be time to reconsider yet again. And just when I had everything working just so .......

They just added sound only for times you don't need the video. (Had it on the first version then for some reason didn't)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts