SlingGuide with Slingbox Questions

hperry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,

I just tried searching and did not find a clear answer to this. I have a ViP622 and just activated the slingguide. After playing around with slingguide for a bit, it seems to me that we should no longer need the IR repeater when using a slingbox with the 622/722. I noticed that slingguide allows you to add your slingbox to your account. Does this mean the IR repeater isn't necessary? So, using slingguide, when you're watching remotely over the slingbox, are channel changes sent to the DVR via ethernet? Also, it would make the most sense to allow selection of TV1 or TV2 when changing the channel via slingbox (because it is installation dependent). Has Dish taken advantage of this or do we still need to use an IR repeater to use a slingbox with the 622/722?

I would test this but don't have a slingbox. However, I would buy one if the IR repeater isn't needed and the TV2 output could be used exclusively for the slingbox (currently difficult because TV2 is UHF controllable only).

TIA.

Just tested and IR Repeater is still needed. Keep in mind that the receiver is only connected to slingbox via video output besides both being connected to router. The UHF to IR converter will be released soon for this very reason (tv2). I recommend purchasing a slingbox. I have a solo and it has two IR Repeaters and two video inputs which means you can control 2 devices. If using sling player or sling mobile you can switch the inputs via application. I have input 2 hooked up to my survallince system which i view frequently via sling mobile on my Sprint Palm Treo.

I have asked the same question about being able to control TV2 via software and not the IR blaster.

Since it is my understanding that the TV1 can be controlled via Sling Guide on an Iphone, I am assuming that the IR blaster is not needed and it would be a software mod to get Sling Guide to control TV2 also.

If this is implemented, you could hook up a Slingbox to the TV2 output, put your 622/722 in dual mode, and then watch a program via slingbox while someone else is watching HD via TV1.

When I am traveling I could watch recorded programs and not interupt what is being watched at home.

This seems like a much more cost effective and elegant solution that the UHF to IR converter.

Agreed, but we need help from Dish on this. In the slingguide faq, it says:

"
Can I control both tuners or specify which one (TV1 or TV2) to record to?

This option is not available in SlingGuide.
"

Considering Dish has been saying they would implement IR control of TV2 for the last several years, the least they could do is make this work using slingguide. I bet it would be easy enough to implement on their end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)