Slingloaded HD DVR922 at CES

The 922 may be a Tivo killer...

Similar article from the Broadcast Newsroom - I just wanted to point out that EchoStar isn't limiting this box to just Dish Network. In fact, the 922 has the potential to put a major hurt on Tivo's business...assuming EchoStar can break into the Cable Cartel.

"Digital media operators, including cable, telco and satellite, can benefit from the design and engineering expertise of EchoStar and the features of its 922, including its ability to reduce operational-related customer calls while providing a platform for launching multiple customer-requested content and features beyond linear programming. Diagnostic software tools allow service providers to analyze and cater to the needs of their overall customer base, improving customer service and reducing churn."

"EchoStar will deliver the EchoStar 922 to its first operator, DISH Network, in spring 2009 as the HD DuoDVR(TM) SlingLoaded(TM) ViP® 922, furnishing satellite TV customers with a break-through TV experience and letting DISH Network customers take their favorite shows on the road or into another room. EchoStar will also leverage the features of the 922 by announcing this spring a tru2way SlingLoaded STB for trials for the cable industry."

Similar article from the Broadcast Newsroom - I just wanted to point out that EchoStar isn't limiting this box to just Dish Network. In fact, the 922 has the potential to put a major hurt on Tivo's business...assuming EchoStar can break into the Cable Cartel.

"Digital media operators, including cable, telco and satellite, can benefit from the design and engineering expertise of EchoStar and the features of its 922, including its ability to reduce operational-related customer calls while providing a platform for launching multiple customer-requested content and features beyond linear programming. Diagnostic software tools allow service providers to analyze and cater to the needs of their overall customer base, improving customer service and reducing churn."

"EchoStar will deliver the EchoStar 922 to its first operator, DISH Network, in spring 2009 as the HD DuoDVR(TM) SlingLoaded(TM) ViP® 922, furnishing satellite TV customers with a break-through TV experience and letting DISH Network customers take their favorite shows on the road or into another room. EchoStar will also leverage the features of the 922 by announcing this spring a tru2way SlingLoaded STB for trials for the cable industry."

If this works with Fios, I will be very happy. :D

Here is the correct link to sign up for the beta:

Sling Media - SlingGuide

It won't work though. I signed up and got an account setup but apparently you need to have a Beta Account with Dish Network. That is what the Dish Technical folks said. You need a special version of the software on the receiver in order for this to work and they said you can't just sign up to have a Beta Account.

It won't work though. I signed up and got an account setup but apparently you need to have a Beta Account with Dish Network. That is what the Dish Technical folks said. You need a special version of the software on the receiver in order for this to work and they said you can't just sign up to have a Beta Account.

That stinks.

But so is the the fabled online scheduling feature? Did they run it through testing as a normal system, but then in the middle of it realize that they should integrate sling, so the axed the original program and started this one?

That stinks.

But so is the the fabled online scheduling feature? Did they run it through testing as a normal system, but then in the middle of it realize that they should integrate sling, so the axed the original program and started this one?

It sure looks that way. When I read the press release and saw Slingguide suport for some of othe other VIP DVRs, that was my first question. What purpose does the DishOnline scheduling, that never fully materialized, now serve? Perhaps they'll roll DishOnline into the SlingGuide features, but if not, there appears to be overlap between the two.

I doubt it will be spring as the 922 has not even gone into Beta Testing yet. It wouldn't surprise me if it did not come out to the fall.

Before you all get excited and then start blasting DISH why it wasn't out yesterday..

It seems that DISH has at least one blow them away product every year at CES. At least half of them never make production, and the other half seem to take at least a year to get out the door.

Look at the archives from last year's show. "Digital Living Nework Alliance"? 100 LiL in 2008? Also, we are just now seeing the 211 Hard Drive solution, and the HD-DVR with sling is promised again for "soon"

It sure looks that way. When I read the press release and saw Slingguide suport for some of othe other VIP DVRs, that was my first question. What purpose does the DishOnline scheduling, that never fully materialized, now serve? Perhaps they'll roll DishOnline into the SlingGuide features, but if not, there appears to be overlap between the two.

Interesting. So perhaps the other receivers not supported by the sling one will get the original online scheduling program. Or perhaps they will get the proverbial shaft...

Interesting. So perhaps the other receivers not supported by the sling one will get the original online scheduling program. Or perhaps they will get the proverbial shaft...

According to the SlingGuide press release, the 622, 722, 722k and 922 will be supported. I presume this means that they'll support scheduling but viewing will require the 922 or one of the above plus a Slingbox.

That said, where DishOnline fits into the whole picture remains unclear. Perhaps strictly as the portal for their broadband content?

Darn thats a nice DVR! I'm actually in the market for a SlingBox SOLO, but I may hold off for this one.. a full TB of internal space AND a Touchpad Remote?!?!?! Are you kidding????? I wonder if you're going to be able to have two HD feeds per box, rather than one SD and one HD.

Scott.. any way to get on the beta list for the box?

Before you all get excited and then start blasting DISH why it wasn't out yesterday..

It seems that DISH has at least one blow them away product every year at CES. At least half of them never make production, and the other half seem to take at least a year to get out the door.

Look at the archives from last year's show. "Digital Living Nework Alliance"? 100 LiL in 2008? Also, we are just now seeing the 211 Hard Drive solution, and the HD-DVR with sling is promised again for "soon"

BINGO!

It looks awesome...and if available today, I'd already be begging them for one...but I really dont expect to see this box anytime soon. I'll still be surprised if we see it before 2010, especially for existing subs, and if everything promoted thus far actually makes the final production model. (I hope I'm wrong, but if anyone can screw up the kind of good will and excitement being created by this beast, it would be the folks at Dish:( )

BINGO!

It looks awesome...and if available today, I'd already be begging them for one...but I really dont expect to see this box anytime soon. I'll still be surprised if we see it before 2010, especially for existing subs, and if everything promoted thus far actually makes the final production model. (I hope I'm wrong, but if anyone can screw up the kind of good will and excitement being created by this beast, it would be the folks at Dish:( )
I have to disagree...this is basically a 622 on steriods with a slingbox jammed into it, a better GUI, and a few really cool new features. I get the feeling this is one box that could actually materialize by the summer. On the other hand, I seriously doubt E* will be ready to "test" their tru2way cable version in the spring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)