SlingPlayer 1.1 for iPhone Released

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The new Singplayer Update for the iPhone has just been released. It is version 1.1 and allows you to directly control your Dish Network DVR's including manage timers. :)

I am just installing it now.

Cool. Gives you the full DVR feature without having to customize.
Man. It does load fast!!!

I love it! The guide is pretty slick!

Two items for my remote access wishlist: a.) Allow use of the favorites lists set up on the dvr. b.) Make the remote full-featured.

Keep up the good work!

What about those of us who don't have a slingbox but want to use the remote feature?? We should get a free app like the DirecTV customers. And not the web app - it kinda sucks.

Seriously, I have been waiting for a free Dish/SlingGuide app for a long time, envious of the DirecTV, Comcast, and U-Verse customers who are all getting that functionality. I am glad SlingPlayer peeps have the functionality now, but web apps are just lame. Here's hoping Dish/Sling hook those of us up who don't shell out $30.

Not that I would ever advocate such behavior, but I noticed that this release appeared on Hackulo.us within minutes just like the first one did...

Do you have to have a sling box to program the Dish VIP DVRs? Or does sling interface with Dish via the ethernet connection the VIPs have? I realize that the 922 will have the sling interface built in, but can you do timers on the 612/622/722 via the sling app?

Edit: Well never mind. I decided I would buy the app now and get a 922 later. I see that essentially it is a remote control for the DVR. It is pretty cool and very responsive. They even have the 30 second skip. Not quite worth the $30 now just to be a remote, but it will be cool later with a 922 able to watch remotely too.

Last edited:
Seriously, I have been waiting for a free Dish/SlingGuide app for a long time, envious of the DirecTV, Comcast, and U-Verse customers who are all getting that functionality. I am glad SlingPlayer peeps have the functionality now, but web apps are just lame. Here's hoping Dish/Sling hook those of us up who don't shell out $30.

Dish's web app is much more complete than the competitors' native apps.

Dish's web app is much more complete than the competitors' native apps.
I wouldn't mind if it was essentially the same interface; it is just that a native app is more responsive. Plus it wouldn't kill them to update it a bit. As it stands, I keep a little link on the home screen, but every time I open it, it opens a new safari tab, which is annoying.

Does the new update allow for 3G functionality or is that still being locked out by Apple and ATT? My Blackberry sling player app works great on my Bold with 3G, wish it would work as well on my IPhone.