SlingTV Invites going out tonight 1/26

Works good on ATT LTE.

I hope they add history and discovery I'll cut the cord. :)

Reactions: Blindowl1234
SlingTV was never designed to be the more sophisticated cable sat experience with DVR in a multiple person household, and that is part of the reason cable/sat is so expensive (box fees; DVR fees, etc.). SlingTV is for those young, mostly males, SINGLE people who've never paid for cable/sat and never will because they can't accept ever paying $60+ per month for TV. The "limitations" of SlingTV aren't really limitations, but the very same experience if one watches cable or sat using NON-DVR box, which several MILLION do as DVR's are still in a MINORITY of households. So, sitting through commercials and having only ONE tuner with NO DVR is still the common experience and not so different from the SlingTV experience, but SlingTV does offer access to shows already aired and some limited DVR like features on some content, so SlingTV would be an enhancement to watching cable/sat with only a one tuner NON-DVR box.

I don't see this service working for the single young guys either. The two younger guys in my office in their 30s, who have never had cable of their own, watch stuff over their phones and internet lap tops ,but mostly they watch shows that are from bit torrent and other "illegal" sources. They watch shows and movies ,even movies still in the theaters, over the internet and they pay nothing for it. When I told them about this SLING service and read them the paper article about it ,they both said :"That's stupid! Why would I pay for that kind of stuff when I get it for free now?" I said but what about Espn? They said they would watch it at the sports bar or go and watch it at their parent's house, if it was a real good sporting event they wanted to see. So if the millennial generation is supposed to Power this new SLING TV, I have a feeling that they are going to be sadly mistaken.

I went to local record store, it was full of really cheap cd's and DVD, even Blu-Rays.

Its all going on to home storage/media servers and being shared online. SlingTV is a great idea, but its too little too late.

like Pat Benatar sings:

"I hear you had a good offer down on third avenue
You tell me that was the reason for whatcha', you put me through, yeah
And now you come collapsin' back I feel the heat of your attack
Want me to take you back I'm givin' you the sack so don't waste your time
It's a little too little, it's a little too late
I'm a little too hurt and there's nothin' left that I've gotta say
You can cry to me baby but there's only so much I can take
Oh, it's a little too little it's a little too late
You say you had a good time but did ya' think it was for free, yeah
And how much did it get ya' and all their flattery
And now you come back, runnin' for protection
You've been bitten by love and stung by rejection"

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sling TV To Add Univision to OTT Lineup

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/sling-tv-add-univision-ott-lineup/387524

Under the deal, Sling TV will gain access to the flagship Univision Network, UniMás, UDN (Univision Deportes Network), Galavisión, El Rey Network, Bandamax, De Película, De Película Clásico, Telehit, tlnovelas, FOROtv, as well as Univision and UniMás broadcast stations nationwide. More details about the offering and how it will be priced will be announced in the coming weeks.

Reactions: TheKrell
Signed up around Jan 6th. Got my invite yesterday afternoon. Working fine here on the Roku 3. I'd love to see it available on more than one device at a time. I'd love to see some of the channels that are on the Welcome Pak offered on Sling. I imagine since they're on the Welcome Pak, that Dish doesn't pay near as much for the content etc...Not looking for anything fancy just History for myself, and TLC for the wife factor. I'd like to see Discovery added too. Picture quality is really good on the highest setting which says about 4Mbps. Now I can go back three days and watch DIY and HGTV. We may keep Sling long term, depending upon what additional channels they add and the cost.

Was able to get the sling TV app on my Roku TV in my office at work today. I added the app through the website a few days ago and it never showed up even after forcing an update. So I downloaded the dishworld app and the sling app came with it. Works very very well.

Got my invite tonight. Haven't called yet.

Same here (call between 8-1, seriously???). Those that have signed up. What are you signing up for, the service with a 7 day trial? Or is it just 7 days of use and then turns off and you wait for it to go live to public to sign up for real?

ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, CNN, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Adult SwimESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, CNN, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, BabyTV, ducktv Cooking Channel, DIY Network, HLN, Bloomberg News

Why isn't this type of package available to us Dish subs for around $30 ?
Will other providers offer similar?

:smug
Without FX and Comedy Central, it's a no-go for me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't see this service working for the single young guys either. The two younger guys in my office in their 30s, who have never had cable of their own, watch stuff over their phones and internet lap tops ,but mostly they watch shows that are from bit torrent and other "illegal" sources. They watch shows and movies ,even movies still in the theaters, over the internet and they pay nothing for it. When I told them about this SLING service and read them the paper article about it ,they both said :"That's stupid! Why would I pay for that kind of stuff when I get it for free now?" I said but what about Espn? They said they would watch it at the sports bar or go and watch it at their parent's house, if it was a real good sporting event they wanted to see. So if the millennial generation is supposed to Power this new SLING TV, I have a feeling that they are going to be sadly mistaken.

Your extremely small sample size is not good enough to disprove that this service doesn't work well for that demographic.

Reactions: Nominal
Your extremely small sample size is not good enough to disprove that this service doesn't work well for that demographic.
Exactly. I'm not single, in my late 30's with 3 kids and this is a very good option for me. Kids can watch shows on their tablets when I want to use the TV. I don't need to have extra TV's for them for the few times they would need it. I can cancel the kids pack when my youngest outgrows it.

I have cut and reattached the cord a couple times since 2009. I completely cut it a month ago now that my youngest is happier with an ipad than a tv and I can use this service along with netflix and others. Save me a large amount each month and after they get the online portal setup and going. I can cancel the whole service during the summer and re-activate when I want for football etc.

You're right about that Scherrman. The same generation (my generation) that he says won't support a paid service turned Netflix into one of the biggest companies in entertainment. Netflix streaming was small until they came to Xbox 360 and PS3. Those early adopters who had game consoles largely came from the millennial generation.

Young people were also the early adopters on things like iPods and the iTunes store. Believe it or not, everyone under 30 is not pirating all of their media. In fact, none of my friends do that.

Yes, my generation also got illegal music downloading sites like Napster off the ground. The thing is, we are willing to pay for our content when it's affordable, easy to use, and fair. The success of services like iTunes, Netflix, and Steam (the equivalent of iTunes for PC games) prove that. We aren't willing to pay a $100 cable/satellite bill just because our parents did when we can find more value in other options. That doesn't mean we are criminals and it doesn't mean we won't pay for services we see value in.

You're right about that Scherrman. The same generation (my generation) that he says won't support a paid service turned Netflix into one of the biggest companies in entertainment. Netflix streaming was small until they came to Xbox 360 and PS3. Those early adopters who had game consoles largely came from the millennial generation.

Young people were also the early adopters on things like iPods and the iTunes store. Believe it or not, everyone under 30 is not pirating all of their media. In fact, none of my friends do that.

Yes, my generation also got illegal music downloading sites like Napster off the ground. The thing is, we are willing to pay for our content when it's affordable, easy to use, and fair. The success of services like iTunes, Netflix, and Steam (the equivalent of iTunes for PC games) prove that. We aren't willing to pay a $100 cable/satellite bill just because our parents did when we can find more value in other options. That doesn't mean we are criminals and it doesn't mean we won't pay for services we see value in.

Remains to be seen how this SLING tv will work out . Once their yearly totals are in , we will see if it is indeed successful or not. I'm only basing my opinion on the two millennials I have contact with in my office. But if the two I know is any indication , it will not be that successful.

I am 26 years old. I have received a code, and activated the service. I used to have DISH. My wife and I love HGTV and Food Network, but I HATED watching it in SD when we had Welcome Pack to watch it. Now, we can get it in HD... along with a plethora of other channels we enjoy. I love the fact that on HGTV, we can go back 3 days and watch any episode. While not DVR... it works well enough for us. One room is also fine, as usually one of us is watching Netflix while the other is watching TV anyway (but usually we watch together). I am thrilled to have this once again, and for a much more affordable price.

One of my co-workers, also around my age, is living at home right now. But he is extremely excited about having this as an option and considers it "a great thing for the future" to stick it to the cable companies.

It may not get every millennial, but it has hooked my wife and I due to the "lifestyle" networks that we can't get over the air, and the shows being limited on Netflix...

From their FAQ:
Sports Extra (coming soon!) – Networks include: SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports, and beIN Sports

No price listed.

edit:
available now and is also $5

Last edited:
Well, got my invite.

Go to sign up, and....my email has already been registered???? Wtf?

So, I'm effectively locked out