SlingTV Invites going out tonight 1/26

Well I called to cancel today after playing with it for a few days. There simply isn't enough content to justify it in my house. It will be nice if they add AMC and BBC America like read yesterday they would be. I do not like paying for sports in my basic pack and this service is no difference than DISH in that respect.

I do wonder how much less they could make the package without sports. I'm guessing their thinking is ESPN is actually the marquee channel in the package.

I do wonder how much less they could make the package without sports. I'm guessing their thinking is ESPN is actually the marquee channel in the package.
I'm sure that they figure ESPN will draw people to the service. I just wish they offered both options, with and withOUT sports . Then both groups would be happy.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
I'm sure that they figure ESPN will draw people to the service. I just wish they offered both options, with and withOUT sports . Then both groups would be happy.
The only problem I see with that, is we are never happy. The people that do not want sports complain about it having sports, and then the sports fans would be like "why are we left out". I think this was a good mix of channels, where everybody can get a little of what they want. Nobody is segregated on the basic level.

Reactions: Nominal
The only problem I see with that, is we are never happy. The people that do not want sports complain about it having sports, and then the sports fans would be like "why are we left out". I think this was a good mix of channels, where everybody can get a little of what they want. Nobody is segregated on the basic level.

The only way to do it is make more options available to people and that can be difficult. Then you would start hearing complaining about how there are too many options and it's getting confusing. If Mike only wants a basic package without sports I don't see why he just doesn't get the Welcome Pack. The main draw to SlingTV is the fact that you can get a small package with some of the most popular channels including sports. I don't see any one else being able to offer such a package for this kind of price.

Whether you like sports or not, you have to admit that an overwhelming percentage of the US wants the ability to watch some sports for an affordable price and this is it. If anyone wants all the other content without sports then just drop everything and subscribe to Hulu and use all the other station's online content. I guess I just don't get Mike's complaint.

Reactions: ChadT41
The only way to do it is make more options available to people and that can be difficult. Then you would start hearing complaining about how there are too many options and it's getting confusing. If Mike only wants a basic package without sports I don't see why he just doesn't get the Welcome Pack. The main draw to SlingTV is the fact that you can get a small package with some of the most popular channels including sports. I don't see any one else being able to offer such a package for this kind of price.

Whether you like sports or not, you have to admit that an overwhelming percentage of the US wants the ability to watch some sports for an affordable price and this is it. If anyone wants all the other content without sports then just drop everything and subscribe to Hulu and use all the other station's online content. I guess I just don't get Mike's complaint.

Welcome Pack has no HD, and only MSNBC, local (cox)cable give you real basic channels like CNN, FOX, NatGeo, Comedy, Cartoon, ect ect for only 38.99 (24.99 for 6 months) with HD- no contract or bundle with internet. With a TiVo Roamio its only $12.50/mo (or $0 LS, or $14.99 no term) for 6 rooms for the equipment using minis.

Welcome Pack however is good for finishing off your contract with no etf with a Vip211. Just throw it on a old used TV set and ride it off.

Isn't the majority of popular content already available online for free or a small subscription already? I've heard it numerous times and I've said it myself, I could cut the cord but I'm not willing to miss out on live sports. This a great solution to those people. All the news and sitcoms your heart desires is already available online now.

It isn't the "majority of popular content" we are looking for. :)

"live sports. This a great solution to those people."

Not if the live sports you want (which it usually is) is on your RSN.

Liking it so far and we've had it a week. It needs a few wife friendly channels though. Quality is great on my Roku 3. I tried it using my PC which uses my 47" Vizio as a monitor I wasn't impressed with the pic quality then.
Tried it in another room on another Roku 3 using WiFi, it worked flawlessly on the highest picture setting too. I think given time Sling has the potential to change the way we watch tv forever. I've heard rumor of the other upcoming services. Sony
Vue which has most of the big cable channels and might be $60. You need a PS3 or PS4 which is $399! Apple is supposed to get into the act too. I think Sling has a definite advantage being the early bird.

Just wondering what internet speeds you have and how many users in household? Do all have same opinions other than needing wife-friendly channels?

It isn't the "majority of popular content" we are looking for. :)

"live sports. This a great solution to those people."

Not if the live sports you want (which it usually is) is on your RSN.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up. From my experience I find that the kind of customers that watch their favorite teams on RSNs are usually the type of people who are willing to pay more money for sports. I myself am one of those people. There are a lot of people out there that do not have a serious favorite team yet just enjoy watching some sports. I really think the majority of people want the ability to be able to watch the major events that the rest of the world is watching and those sporting events are generally on the major networks and ESPN. If you can put that into a basic package for a very affordable price I think you cater to the majority of the population.

I'm not saying that I know everything and that I'm 100% right but I have a good feeling that it's pretty accurate.

Reactions: Rey
Welcome Pack has no HD, and only MSNBC, local (cox)cable give you real basic channels like CNN, FOX, NatGeo, Comedy, Cartoon, ect ect for only 38.99 (24.99 for 6 months) with HD- no contract or bundle with internet. With a TiVo Roamio its only $12.50/mo (or $0 LS, or $14.99 no term) for 6 rooms for the equipment using minis.

Welcome Pack however is good for finishing off your contract with no etf with a Vip211. Just throw it on a old used TV set and ride it off.
IF the Welcome pack HD FULL HD, I would sub to it easily,but without HD it loses any luster for me. I hate watching satellite SD channels. They look awful. My whole objection to the sling tv was that you HAD to still PAY for ESPN. To me that is one big factor in the ever increasing programming pack prices. At over $6.00 a sub it will only go higher for either DISH or SLING Tv. Sports should stand on it's own just like Premium Movie channels do. I don't make everyone from top 120 pay for premium movie channels , they shouldn't make me pay for Premium priced ESPN channels.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up. From my experience I find that the kind of customers that watch their favorite teams on RSNs are usually the type of people who are willing to pay more money for sports. I myself am one of those people. There are a lot of people out there that do not have a serious favorite team yet just enjoy watching some sports. I really think the majority of people want the ability to be able to watch the major events that the rest of the world is watching and those sporting events are generally on the major networks and ESPN. If you can put that into a basic package for a very affordable price I think you cater to the majority of the population.

I'm not saying that I know everything and that I'm 100% right but I have a good feeling that it's pretty accurate.

My experiences are just the exact opposite. The general or casual sports fan that would value ESPN over a local RSN or sports team also tends to be the one who participates in fantasy leagues, watches a variety of sports between baseball, basketball, football, NASCAR, boxing, golf, etc...those are the ones that I would consider the ones willing to pay more for sports. Those that have a die-hard following to 2-3 local or hometown teams are not on the same level. They would obviously spend more money attending those games live or going out to watch at a sports bar for the camaraderie and atmosphere, but outside of that, not much else.

IF the Welcome pack HD FULL HD, I would sub to it easily,but without HD it loses any luster for me. I hate watching satellite SD channels. They look awful. My whole objection to the sling tv was that you HAD to still PAY for ESPN. To me that is one big factor in the ever increasing programming pack prices. At over $6.00 a sub it will only go higher for either DISH or SLING Tv. Sports should stand on it's own just like Premium Movie channels do. I don't make everyone from top 120 pay for premium movie channels , they shouldn't make me pay for Premium priced ESPN channels.

Getting rid of ESPN from the basic packages would affect just as many people as it affects having it included now if not more. Do you realize how many people would be upset that they can't get ESPN in a basic package and would have to pay extra for it? There are just as many people as you that want to have a basic package that includes ESPN.

I know that you would counter me by saying that Dish could have a package that has it and one that doesn't have it for two different prices and I would agree with you. The big problem I would see with this is that the sports fans would be upset that they are paying more than everyone for a channel they feel should be included in the main package. So all this does is make a different group of people unhappy. So no matter what is done, not everyone will be happy.

My experiences are just the exact opposite. The general or casual sports fan that would value ESPN over a local RSN or sports team also tends to be the one who participates in fantasy leagues, watches a variety of sports between baseball, basketball, football, NASCAR, boxing, golf, etc...those are the ones that I would consider the ones willing to pay more for sports. Those that have a die-hard following to 2-3 local or hometown teams are not on the same level. They would obviously spend more money attending those games live or going out to watch at a sports bar for the camaraderie and atmosphere, but outside of that, not much else.

Good points

Good points
As an offshoot to that, the League Pass offerings are really missing the boat on not offering team-based subscriptions at reduced rates. I'd be much more willing to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, or MLB EI if there were single-team offerings for 1/4 the price of the whole league package.

As an offshoot to that, the League Pass offerings are really missing the boat on not offering team-based subscriptions at reduced rates. I'd be much more willing to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, or MLB EI if there were single-team offerings for 1/4 the price of the whole league package.

As an offshoot to the offshoot where they are missing the mark is not offering your local team on MLBTV. In today's world there is no technical reason you can't watch through MLBTV your local broadcast with the commercials just like you would directly from the RSN. I realize it can be overcome and many do, even more of a reason to just offer it.

Probably will develop like songs. Used to be you had to buy albums and they said it would never change. Now you buy individual songs (if you are not using a streaming service).

Re: ESPN I'd guess they need ESPN to make it financial viable during the startup years. The sports fans are diehards, loyal, and willing to pay and want their games wherever they are. Many will probably want both fixed location and streaming service.

As time move on, other packs will likely appear.
Remember that Dish (Charlie) stated in one of the earnings calls that only about 20 -25 percent of Dish customers watch sports, but if they dropped those channels, that 20 percent group of customers would immediately say adios.

Probably will develop like songs. Used to be you had to buy albums and they said it would never change. Now you buy individual songs (if you are not using a streaming service).

Re: ESPN I'd guess they need ESPN to make it financial viable during the startup years. The sports fans are diehards, loyal, and willing to pay and want their games wherever they are. Many will probably want both fixed location and streaming service.

As time move on, other packs will likely appear.
Remember that Dish (Charlie) stated in one of the earnings calls that only about 20 -25 percent of Dish customers watch sports, but if they dropped those channels, that 20 percent group of customers would immediately say adios.

That 20-25 percent seems way off. Maybe that's the percentage of people who really care about sports but I'd have to think at least 50 percent of their customer watch sports from time to time. I know Dish's numbers are going to be lower than Direct's since they are the leader when it comes to sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)