SlingTV - Performance on different streaming boxes

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Playing around a bit this morning. I’ve got a Sling Blue subscription going as a possible step towards cutting the cord. Here’s how it works for me on a few of the boxes I’ve tried it on. Note these are somewhat subjective.

AppleTV4K - The best picture and audio of any of them, and that holds pretty much true regardless of which app I use. But, the SlingTV app has a buffering issue that they don’t seem to have solved yet. Usually shows up when the show either starts or quits playing an ad and will sometimes clear up by waiting but often that doesn’t do it either.

Roku Premier - works pretty well but the audio and video is not nearly as good as on the AppleTV4K. And the video/audio sync is just slightly off, enough to notice and can be a bit irritating.

FireTV Cube - similar to the Roku Premier. Not as good audio/video and the sync is off a shade.

Xbox One S - Almost as good as the AppleTV4K in video, audio is as good if not a little better with the Dolby Experience faking Atmos with it. Audio/video sync is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FireTV4k vs AirTv Mini4k

Air Tv wins, remote is smooth and bigger, easier to use, PQ is natural, FIretv has lip sync issues.
The whole interface is smoother as you move through the menus and the guides.

FireTV4k vs AirTv Mini4k

Air Tv wins, remote is smooth and bigger, easier to use, PQ is natural, FIretv has lip sync issues.
The whole interface is smoother as you move through the menus and the guides.

Thanks for that. I was wondering as the reviews of AirTV are somewhat hit or miss it seems.

Reactions: foghorn2
OK, I need to revise my opinions concerning the SlingTV app on AppleTV. I couldn’t figure out what would cause it to either lock up or completely crash, but finally I figured out what was always the case. Local insertion ads that SlingTV does! Not always, but every lock up or crash occurred because of those.

Reactions: foghorn2
Fire Stick 4K is fabu. Quick!

My old Roku 2 was painfully slow. Streaming was fine, but the interface was nails on chalkboard annoying.

The newer Roku 2 is much better, but there is a stubborn freeze in playback about 6 to 10 seconds when first starting a program, which requires either exiting it and restarting, or rewinding and playing.

I really don’t notice any picture difference between the three.

I have a FireTV Cube. It works well though is pretty slow compared to the AppleTV. Not a big deal though. The problem for me is the UI. It is just a PITA to deal with IMO.

The last couple of days the SlingTV app on the AppleTV has been fine, only one lockup. No clue why but I’ll take it. Still bouncing between YTTV and Sling because each solution has things I like over the other.

Lloyd-
Does Sling TV offer DD audio on any of it's channels? I'm pretty happy with FuboTV but on research SlingTV Orange and Blue seem to rise to my second choice if Fubo ever goes FUBAR. Just could not confirm if it offered DD. FuboTV is basic Stereo on all channels.

Last edited:
Lloyd-
Does Sling TV offer DD audio on any of it's channels? I'm pretty happy with FuboTV but on research SlingTV Orange and Blue seem to rise to my second choice if Fubo ever goes FUBAR. Just count not confirm if it offered DD. FuboTV is basic Stereo on all channels.

Doesn’t sound like it. Just on some VOD

Edit: seems like that is the norm for streaming live channels. But I’ve just diddled a bit and found that sometimes, on some shows and channels, 5.1 seems to be there.

Reactions: TheForce
Did some research. DD 5.1 is not offered on any of the streamers for live TV or recordings. Some offer it on some VOD. One exception is ATT’s streamer, it supposedly has some live channels with DD 5.1

In my setup, if I use the Xbox One and the Dolby Experience app on it, I get faked ATMOS on everything and it is quite good.

Reactions: TheForce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts