Slow Guide on 722K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This started happening to one of my month old 722K last night. I didn't find this thread until today. It drove me crazy last night. Thankfully, it's working okay today. I'll try the menu menu cancel cancel trick, if it happens again. Yes. With this happening to so many users, Dish needs to resolve this. I hope everyone calls Dish to complain!

I have been sending PM's to a dish tech about this very problem.
He had me do a test while the menu's were slow to see if the buttons on the front of the box were slow as well.
It turns out the the buttons on the box were no faster than the remote, so he is sure it is a software problem.
Just today he told me he is going to get the problem expedited to try and get a fix soon.

However, yesterday I got a spare UHF remote from my brother. After setting it up for TV1 and putting the RF remote away, I have not experienced one single slow down with the menus. I am not calling it a cure yet, but so far so good. I will post again if the menus slow down while using 2 UHF remotes. :)

Oddly enough, I haven't done anything any different than I usually do, and both of my 722k's haven't slowed down in weeks now... I guess I should consider myself lucky...

Well the party is over. :(
Even with two UHF remotes my menu system is back to being as slow as ever this evening.
Hope my tech guy can get this problem solved soon.

Have already tried the different remote address.
Have disabled the banner adds.
Have unplugged the phone and Ethernet and reset the box.
Have gotten rid of the IR remote.
Have tried all the menu tricks.
After all of this I am going to get a replacement 722k. I guess some of them are just plain defective.

I'm not so sure that they're defective, I really think it's a software issue as with the 722k this NEVER happened before L662, and the 722's and 622's never had the issue either until a very recent software update. The 722k was the first to get the bug, and for a while, no other receiver model was reported to have this issue, however after a few recent updates to the other models, they all report similar issues.

Speaking of which, one of my 722k's was slow earlier, but within a couple of minutes was no longer slow.

I'm still digging on this, I was working with Arcade, and nothing we do seems to get it fixed permanently. So we're gonna try to replace the receiver and see if that helps. I also did put in a report for it.

The replacement receiver might not be slow for a while but I have a feeling the issue will creep up again eventually... However I guess it's good to rule out hardware. Heck, if that fixes the problem, then I have 2 722k's I need replaced, heh.

I have two 722k's. One has never had the problem and the other does from time to time. Is there a way to defrag the hard drive? I am not saying that's the problem, but I don't see how that would hurt things..........

The receivers run on Linux, and the Linux filesystem does not require defragging. Good thought though.

My brother has a 722k that is hooked up identical to mine. Both boxes were brand new units running the newest software.
He has never had one single slow down on his menus.
Odds are that my box is defective.
Time will tell. :)

And by the way, Matt has been great to work with on this problem.
He is genuinely concerned about the problem and is doing his best to figure out the problem.

The receivers run on Linux, and the Linux filesystem does not require defragging. Good thought though.
I have been with Dish for quite a while and have found over the years when a DVR hard drive becomes close to being full problems can arise. I am by far competent with Linux, so this may be a dumb question, but doesn't Linux need adequate space between files? Even a hard drive that was once close to being full and then emptied by deleting recorded programs, still not really cleaning the drive? I am not arguing and my questions are bore out of ignorance. Why can one receiver produced in the same lot have the problem and the other not, could a quality control issue be the answer? Even with the periodic slow guide on one of my 722k's, They are very, very stable boxes. I love mine.:)
obtw mine have consecutive serial no's and installed the same day.

Last edited:
Nah, the only space it needs is for the file table and that space is already reserved from the second the drive is formatted.

I think there is a small chance it could be hardware related but I strongly believe that this is a software issue. The reason it doesn't show up on all receivers is the same reason two identical computers with identical parts and software can produce different bugs of their own. For one thing, not all computers/722k's are used alike. Sure, they may be from the same hardware batch, have identical firmware, etc. but do they all have the exact same amount of recordings? Same timers? Same free space? Same settings? There are more variables than just software version and hardware revisions/batches alone.

Nah, the only space it needs is for the file table and that space is already reserved from the second the drive is formatted.

I think there is a small chance it could be hardware related but I strongly believe that this is a software issue. The reason it doesn't show up on all receivers is the same reason two identical computers with identical parts and software can produce different bugs of their own. For one thing, not all computers/722k's are used alike. Sure, they may be from the same hardware batch, have identical firmware, etc. but do they all have the exact same amount of recordings? Same timers? Same free space? Same settings? There are more variables than just software version and hardware revisions/batches alone.
I tend to agree with you but so many boxes having the same issue? Seems to me that there is a common denominator somewhere. I don't know what it is. Just throwing out some of what I see. My two boxes record the same shows and movies. I may delete shows quicker on the one in bedroom. It has the periodic slow guide. The one in the den has older saved movies on it. Good luck guys. Even with the slow guide I would not trade my boxes.

My 722K has had this problem since day 1. I keep thinking a patch may fix it someday. My 7yr old complains about it (LOL). She says the other two receivers in the house don't have the problem. (So technically aware at such a young age.) The first week I had the 722 it had the probelm and there were zero DVR recordings on it. We have come to accept that the 722 is a bit slow in the brain. Press the guide and be patient. It's on Ludes!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)