Slow Guide on 722K

Had the same problem with guide too. Changed my tv1 remote from IR to UHF and the receiver and guide respond good like tv2.

I have something new to add to this thread. We just got Dish Network installed yesterday afternoon. We got a 722k installed in the master bedroom. I noticed last night while we were watching TV the guide really slowed down, exactly as you are all describing it. Having just switched from DirecTV I was used to slow guides so I did not pay much attention to it. However, this is where the real problem started. A couple of hours after the guide started responding slowly the fan on the unit kicked on, full blast. It wouldn't quiet down, even when I turned off the unit. I couldn't sleep with that thing going full blast so I pushed the reset button on the receiver and the fan quieted down immediately. After the reboot, the guide went back to being fast, and the fan quiet again.

I'm very concerned that this happened on the first day we got the receiver. Is anyone else getting the slow guide symptom AND the fan kicking on full blast? For those of you who will surely want to ask... The receiver sits on top of the counter with nothing else around it that would cause poor ventilation or cause it to overheat. The room temperature is 65 - 68 degrees.

Since you just got it yesterday, my guess would be that it started it's nightly update cycle and that the latest software version (that would not have been on a new receiver) was downloading and rebooting the receiver, which does take some time. In preferences, you can adjust the time of night the receiver checks for updates.

Edit: Since you were watching TV, you would have gotten a notice about the updating. Or did it start making noise later on when not watching??

Last edited:
I have something new to add to this thread. We just got Dish Network installed yesterday afternoon. We got a 722k installed in the master bedroom. I noticed last night while we were watching TV the guide really slowed down, exactly as you are all describing it. Having just switched from DirecTV I was used to slow guides so I did not pay much attention to it. However, this is where the real problem started. A couple of hours after the guide started responding slowly the fan on the unit kicked on, full blast. It wouldn't quiet down, even when I turned off the unit. I couldn't sleep with that thing going full blast so I pushed the reset button on the receiver and the fan quieted down immediately. After the reboot, the guide went back to being fast, and the fan quiet again.

I'm very concerned that this happened on the first day we got the receiver. Is anyone else getting the slow guide symptom AND the fan kicking on full blast? For those of you who will surely want to ask... The receiver sits on top of the counter with nothing else around it that would cause poor ventilation or cause it to overheat. The room temperature is 65 - 68 degrees.

Check the temperatures of your DVR and see if they are high. Menu 6-3, click on Counters, page down to the temps.

My problem has been intermittent for a few weeks

vip722k L680

Soft reboot, Hard Reboot, Menu Menu Cancel Cancel, all to no avail.
Using the 20.0 IR:
4 second delay from the time I press the guide button until the guide actually shows on screen
2 second delay between page up and down
2 second delay with anything inside the DVR menu
1 second delay if I arrow past the currently displayed set of programs
No delay moving around the screen I'm on with the arrows.

Almost zero lag using 6.0 UHF

As I'm finishing typing the problem has corrected itself for now, and the guide and DVR menu has become quick and responsive....we will see when it happens again.

+1

I am a new Dish subscriber as of 1/21 also with the Vip722k and software L680. The first two days the guide was extremely quick to load and page up or down. Since yesterday I have exactly the same delays as described by v3bahumut. I found this forum/thread and have tried every suggestion with only temporary (1-2 hours) improvement. Would I be wasting my time by contacting Dish support?

Well guys, my replacement 722k only worked well for 24 hrs.
Now the menus are as slow as they ever were.
It is a good thing I do not need to scroll 4 or 5 days forward or I would probably lose my mind right now.
I sure hope a software fix hits the streets soon on this.
And now I have the added bonus of the 30 skip button not working all the time. During a couple of recorded playbacks I pressed the forward skip button 7 times in a row and it did absolutely nothing.
So yea, more problems.

From this point, I believe the delayed response is a software bug. Arcade was nice enough to try everything that I was able to think of, even replacing the receiver, all to no avail.

I just received L682 last night, so here's hoping (for the 7th time) that this update might have fixed it.

Glad to hear an update is coming.
I'm just afraid it was stuff they were working on before they ever found out about the slow motion menus.
I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

I checked back here today to see if there was any word on a potential fix. I'm actually typing this entire message in the time it takes for the menu to come up :D

I was hopeful when I read that the software was up to L682....then I saw my receiver was already running it and still had "molasses menus"

Maybe dish needs to give me a 922 to make me happy.

Hey. You might be on to something there.
A 922 upgrade would make my customer loyalty skyrocket. lol.
Perchance to dream though.

My 722k has been driving me crazy all day today. Slow, slow, slow. ARRRGHHHH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)