Slow Guide on 722K

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
I just did a quick search and I haven't seen this mentioned here before, but I have been having an issue on my 722K for a few weeks now. I am running in Dual Mode, and whenever I hit the guide button on TV1, there is a 3-5 second delay before the guide comes up. Once I am in the guide, the page up/down buttons also have a delay. The DVR button does not have this problem - it responds just as fast as it always has. Also, there is no guide delay on TV2, just TV1. Any idea what could be causing this?

I should have put this in my first post - I have done the following to try and fix the problem:

Soft reset
Hard reset
Disconnect dish + run check switch
Reconnect dish + run check switch

Each of these things seemed to work initially, but within a day or two, the slow response returned.

I should have put this in my first post - I have done the following to try and fix the problem:

Soft reset
Hard reset
Disconnect dish + run check switch
Reconnect dish + run check switch

Each of these things seemed to work initially, but within a day or two, the slow response returned.

I have experienced this from time to time as well. It seems to be a bug that happens. I'd make sure your receiver is being cooled adequately.

This happens to me when the receiver gets very warm.

John

On both of my ViP722k's, pressing the MENU button twice (brings up the system info screen) then pressing cancel until I'm back to TV, fixes the slow guide issue.

Both receivers are well-ventilated.

No this has been a problem with many ViP722k's since the L662 software arrived.

It's a software bug. Again, in my experience, with two ViP722k's, when either of them are slow, pressing MENU twice, and then cancel twice, fixes the bug.

It's a software bug. Again, in my experience, with two ViP722k's, when either of them are slow, pressing MENU twice, and then cancel twice, fixes the bug.

Thanks - I'll try this as soon as I get home and let you know how it works.

What he Said..

This IS A BUG.. It has been mentioned on this board many times.. It occured after a recent software update.. And isn't going to go away until they fix the software.. Fan boys need to quit trying to make it like it is anything else.. IT is a Bug.

try changing your remote address to a different number. i can't remember the actual issue, but it's related to the even/odd address number. if you are even change to odd, if odd change to even. that should 'fix' it.

If it's not a bug, then why does pressing MENU twice fix it? Don't give us this spiel. People shouldn't have to add fans to a piece of equipment. It should already have sufficient cooling. As I said, my boxes are in extremely well-ventilated spots, at around 73-76 degrees F. So you're telling me that pressing MENU twice, suddenly cools down the box? Even if changing the remote address fixes it, it's still a BUG.

Seriously people, try my suggestion, and get back with me as I am 90% sure it fixes this BUG.

Quoted:

On both of my ViP722k's, pressing the MENU button twice (brings up the system info screen) then pressing cancel until I'm back to TV, fixes the slow guide issue.

Both receivers are well-ventilated.

Last edited:
try changing your remote address to a different number. i can't remember the actual issue, but it's related to the even/odd address number. if you are even change to odd, if odd change to even. that should 'fix' it.

if you do this, and it 'fixes' the problem, it will not return. so you won't have to hit menu button to 'fix' it.

I would think that it "fixes" reception issues with UHF Pro remotes more so than issues with the guide being slow. I don't see how it would make any difference at all with IR remotes, which are the ones I (we) have problems with.

Well, since my first post I haven't had any problems, so I haven't gotten a chance to try any fixes. (I guess that's a good thing). I can say this - the receiver is in an open cabinet with plenty of clearance, and does not seem to be overheating. I've had it in the same spot since the day I got it (first month of release), and I have never had any heat issues - all of the problems seem to have started in the last couple of months. Also, as it was pointed out, this is happening on TV1, which is an IR remote - there is no address change that can be made. Thanks for all of your help - if it happens again, I'll try the menu-menu-cancel-cancel trick and see if it works.

When I have this issue, I notice that when I press the page up/page down buttons, it is slow. But when in the guide menu, if I press the up/down button to change just one channel it is quick as normal. It just seems to me that the guide is having problems loading whole new pages at once. I've had a 722k for about 9 months now and have seen this problem for about a total of 5 days over the whole period. Also, the dvr controls are slow too when the guide is slow. hope this makes sense.

necessary?

What he Said..

This IS A BUG.. It has been mentioned on this board many times.. It occured after a recent software update.. And isn't going to go away until they fix the software.. Fan boys need to quit trying to make it like it is anything else.. IT is a Bug.

Was the term Fan Boy really necessary? :confused: