Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting into C-band, and the satellites I'm interested in receiving are all between 87W to 105W. I have a spot in my yard that should work for receiving these. I checked Dishpointer.com and everything looks good for the spot I want to put the dish. I already have the scalar ring and C-band BSC 621-2 LNB, but it doesn't really work on my 30" dish.

What is the minimum sized dish I can use with this scalar ring. There are many sources that say a 1.2 meter dish will work. I would be glad if this is true. Does anyone have experience with using this on a 1.2 meter dish? Does this yield any results? I don't really want to go with a 6' dish if I don't have to. And the neighbors probably wouldn't like that either. They already think it's funny when I'm outside adjusting my 30" dish.

I'm planning on buying the pole and dish. I really want to get some of the local network channels like CBS, ABC, and NBC. I noticed a few of these channels within 87-105W. Any suggestions?

...I don't really want to go with a 6' dish if I don't have to. And the neighbors probably wouldn't like that either.
I'm not going to argue against your concerns about the neighbors. But for your reference, here is what a 10' dish looks like when mounted very low to the ground. Possibly with the right location, and some landscaping to obscure it, a bigger dish than you might normally consider would blend in well enough for you. Hate to see you struggle with a dish that you may find is too small.

For what it's worth, that house was in a very nice neighborhood, but it was condemned due to flooding. The owner said nobody ever complained about the dish. The dish is at my place now. The house was bulldozed a month after taking this photo.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 415
Nothing smaller than a 6',and anything bigger is recommended.
12' would be best.Probably the 12' mesh
Don't worry about the neighbors.They'll get over it,LOL

The C-band sub-forum is full of discussions by people using 1.2m (4') dishes, with lists of what they can get.
Our moderator, Iceberg, has a couple of 6' dishes, and talks often of what programming/satellites he can receive.

The most stealthy dishes, are the black meshes.
I've got a spun aluminum perforated 8'er (see my signature) with a dull gray finish, that is as close to invisible as they get.
Screw the neighbors.
Or better yet, do what many here have done (including Iceberg), invite them over to watch a game not otherwise available.
They'll soon be wanting you to help them put up a BUD! - :up

A 4' dish really sounds great if it can pick up anything on C-band. Can anyone show me where that thread is at where people list the channels they can receive.

I'm interested in getting into C-band, and the satellites I'm interested in receiving are all between 87W to 105W. I have a spot in my yard that should work for receiving these. I checked Dishpointer.com and everything looks good for the spot I want to put the dish. I already have the scalar ring and C-band BSC 621-2 LNB, but it doesn't really work on my 30" dish.
that would be right....dish is waaaaay too small

What is the minimum sized dish I can use with this scalar ring. There are many sources that say a 1.2 meter dish will work. I would be glad if this is true. Does anyone have experience with using this on a 1.2 meter dish? Does this yield any results? I don't really want to go with a 6' dish if I don't have to. And the neighbors probably wouldn't like that either. They already think it's funny when I'm outside adjusting my 30" dish.

I'm planning on buying the pole and dish. I really want to get some of the local network channels like CBS, ABC, and NBC. I noticed a few of these channels within 87-105W. Any suggestions?
a 6 foot dish is really minimum to have reliable reception.
Folks do use a 1.2m dish but the results are usually minimal with a few very strong transponders locking. Most of the time you'll spend alot of time trying to lock a channel only to have it either not be there or be at such minimal quality that it wont be stable

Even a 5 foot dish will work if you can find one.

Years ago I saw an article of a dish that was in an area (subdivision)? that did not want them there. The person made it look like a deck umbrella. You could not even see it. If that is your problem with others near you, it is something to think about. If no problem with dishes, I agree with others: Let them get over it. Yes, 6 foot is the smallest you want to try. Some that have that size mention there are some stations they can not receive.
Too bad about that house......

A 6' dish is a possibility if that's the minimum size I need. I have an area that it will fit. I think most of the transponders I want are strong enough for that size dish to receive. I just would have to work on buying a strong pole and embedding it deep enough into the ground so that the dish won't move. What are some good dishes to consider? A mesh or solid dish? What about having a motorized setup?

Start taking Sunday drives and maybe enlist the help of some eagle eyes (passengers). We've spotted a number of 5.5' and 6' mesh dishes around here. It is unlikely that anyone will be using them, they could be free for the taking.

BITD, I put up my 10 ft black mesh. It took 3 years before a neighbor, who drove past it daily more than once, to notice it. And that was when we met on the street as he took a walk.
person made it look like a deck umbrella
I seem to remember that "Kits" were available BITD.
Still are, for 6 or 8 ft. dishcamo.com/dishcamo.htm scroll down page.

Last edited:
Here is a thread where I listed the channels I get on a 1.2 meter dish in the range you are looking at.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/265783-another-1-2m-minibud-success-story.html

Since then I have found a few more channels after lots of tweaking and help from trees losing their leaves. From my experience I would only use a 1.2 meter dish if you get one for free. Mine is a VSAT dish that I was able to get for free from a business that stopped using it. It is heavy and would be difficult to motorize so I manually move it between satellites. Yes you can buy a light weight 1.2 M that can be easily motorized but the cost of the dish and motor would be $200+.

I could kick myself square in the backside for missing out on a 5 foot mesh dish that a nearby business trashed. It was as stealth as you could get hidden in the back by a previous owner. I know the performance wouldn't be that much of an improvement but all it probably needed was a $30 VBOX to move it.

Do you have a picture of it to post here? The OP may change his mind on the 4 footer after seeing one.
Sure, this dish was in my basement this morning, broken down into quarters. $4.22 worth of shiny hardware later, it's now assembled for the photo op. Please note that I recommend blaze orange when hunting a Unimesh, you can never be too safe with these rare birds, er, mini BUDs. Also, it must have been a good year for dishes grazing out in the field, because this one actually measures 5'9" diameter. Elmer Fudd in the orange hunting jacket is 6 foot tall. The Ku dish is 1 meter wide.

Attachments

• unimesh5.jpg
    unimesh5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 486
  • unimesh5b.jpg
    unimesh5b.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 842
That mesh dish doesn't look too bad, that would be something to consider. I noticed on Sathint, it shows Disney Channel East and ABC Family as unencrypted. Does anyone know if that's correct, and can that be verified? I was looking at the signal maps for the satellites I want to receive, and the signals are all good. Some are as high as almost 43 dBW. I'm thinking the 1.2 meter dish may work. I'm going to check out that thread and find out what people are receiving with the 1.2 meter dish. Thanks!!

Toucan-Man,
I saw something very close to that mini-mesh recently on some "back road" about 10-12 miles from my house in a front yard. It had three or four panels gone so I kept right on driving by. Can parts be found for them?

Sure, this dish was in my basement this morning, broken down into quarters. $4.22 worth of shiny hardware later, it's now assembled for the photo op. Please note that I recommend blaze orange when hunting a Unimesh, you can never be too safe with these rare birds, er, mini BUDs. Also, it must have been a good year for dishes grazing out in the field, because this one actually measures 5'9" diameter. Elmer Fudd in the orange hunting jacket is 6 foot tall. The Ku dish is 1 meter wide.
The primestar is an 84e which is 1 m wide and .7 tall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.