Smallest dish for C-band reception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In addition to the way Iceberg described mounting the Fortec 6' dish with sandbags, etc...
... there are a couple of alternatives if you are willing to chose a fixed location for a permanent mounting.

One is to use the above dish with this motor and a Vbox .
The motor acts as a motorized polar mount.

The other, is to get the dish with a polar mount, and put a standard linear dish mover (and a Vbox) on it.

Sadoun has the Vbox II on clearance, or you can go for the Gbox for a bit more.
The former has been discussed to death.
The latter is discussed at some length in a thread by Linuxman, recently.

To my great surprise, I won a bid for a bunch of satellite gear on Ebay. Included is a Channel Master 10' mesh dish if I want it (depends on shipping fee). If I go this way I'd need an actuator controller such as the Vbox-II or Gbox so I can use it with my DVB receiver. Question: Which is better? Why?

To my great surprise, I won a bid for a bunch of satellite gear on Ebay. Included is a Channel Master 10' mesh dish if I want it (depends on shipping fee). If I go this way I'd need an actuator controller such as the Vbox-II or Gbox so I can use it with my DVB receiver. Question: Which is better? Why?

Congrats on the buy!:)
If the trip or shipping is too great, you might want to post the information here and maybe someone else, closer, would want to grab it! But I do hope you can get it. YOU ARE HOOKED!:D

Congrats on the buy!:)
If the trip or shipping is too great, you might want to post the information here and maybe someone else, closer, would want to grab it! But I do hope you can get it. YOU ARE HOOKED!:D
Oh I've been hooked for a long time! I got my first C-band dish 22 years ago, a 10 foot Orbitron mesh which I am still using. Unfortunately, to get a good shot at the arc, I had to have it set on a 15' mast. I have a bad heart now and can't climb ladders, so I have to have others service it. It supplies the family's entertainment, but is no fun from a hobby standpoint... thus the new dish. Being ground mounted, it won't have the visibility of the Orbitron, but it'll be enough for hobby use. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to mount it. Probably either a cement filled hole for the mast, or a cement pad and flange mount. I'm still waiting for a quote on shipping. If it is too high, I will indeed post the info here for any possible takers.

I am pretty fortunate to have a good line of sight from 43West to 148west here.

My neighbor planted a tree that my 10' dish is going to have to compete with before long.

Oh I've been hooked for a long time! I got my first C-band dish 22 years ago, a 10 foot Orbitron mesh which I am still using. Unfortunately, to get a good shot at the arc, I had to have it set on a 15' mast. I have a bad heart now and can't climb ladders, so I have to have others service it. It supplies the family's entertainment, but is no fun from a hobby standpoint... thus the new dish. Being ground mounted, it won't have the visibility of the Orbitron, but it'll be enough for hobby use. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to mount it. Probably either a cement filled hole for the mast, or a cement pad and flange mount. I'm still waiting for a quote on shipping. If it is too high, I will indeed post the info here for any possible takers.
How much room do you have around the base of the pole? I would consider building a climbing playhouse for the grandkids around the "firemans pole" with access to the "lookout tower" and a flat roof! (Play structures are not zoned out in several cities I know of!) That would give a nice platform to work on the dish. A 12 foot high platform would be a beautiful place for the kids to play on, I sturdy railing around it .....:D :cool: My grandkids would love it! :D:D
Would a Navy style stairway / ladder be too hard to climb? A nite light at the top would give a power outlet, too.:eureka

How much room do you have around the base of the pole? I would consider building a climbing playhouse for the grandkids around the "firemans pole" with access to the "lookout tower" and a flat roof! (Play structures are not zoned out in several cities I know of!) That would give a nice platform to work on the dish. A 12 foot high platform would be a beautiful place for the kids to play on, I sturdy railing around it .....:D :cool: My grandkids would love it! :D:D
Would a Navy style stairway / ladder be too hard to climb? A nite light at the top would give a power outlet, too.:eureka

The mast is flange mounted to the patio with a bracket half way up, bolting it to the house; i.e. no open space to speak of. I did my time in the Army. Can you give me a link to a picture of a Navy style stairway?

(I see you are a fellow ham. Are you still active?)

Yep, still a ham and somewhat active. I am on VHF and UHF. I have plans for HF long wires dipoles and wire beams.

The navy ladders they have between decks on a ship wider steps than a normal ladder with side railing to grab ahold of. My dad could handle those kinds of ladders, because he could that a couple steps at a time and stop and rest leaning on the side rails. His ladder/stairs did come out of a decommisioned ship!

Your roof line should be about 9 feet high, so a platform with a sheet of plywood or 2x4 x8'would give you something to stand on. Just some thoughts. not trying to push you too hard, I want you to enjoy the hobby aspect. That would also give you a place to mount some verticals (J-pole for 146 and 440)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts