Smart Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the car was not for sale, no window sticker is probably not a problem, I think. Sedans come out first. I could go either way.

I've passed on about Iowa & SC to our buyers. Might just forego the order and get the $500 back. But only if they have firm deals and delivery dates from another dealer.

I don't know about other states, but Iowa law requires that all new cars have the window sticker attached to the vehicle, even if it is a demo.

I was just watching Top Gear and they featured the new Toyota IQ. That one would be exactly what you are looking for. Me too. Unfortunately, it looka like it isn't coming to the US :(

Very small, light and agile. Available with a three cylinder gas or diesel engine. Outperforms the smart in every aspect. Somehow it manages to have more interior room than a Yaris while being several inches shorter.

I want one, and I'm bummed.

I don't suppose that will apply to business purchases. :(

I'm jealous. I can't even get a vague guesstimate of delivery or price.

I don't suppose that will apply to business purchases. :(

Actually, you should be eligible as a business for the "Advanced Lean Burn Technology" credit. See: Summary of the Credit for Qualified Hybrid Vehicles
Scroll down. Businesses claim the credit on form 3800. I presume this applies for "lean burn" as well as hybrid vehicles.

The TDIs have not yet been added to the IRS website yet, but the thread at VWVortex seems to have an official VW press release here: VWvortex Forums: Buyers of Volkswagen Jetta TDI vehicles eligible for a $1300 Federal Tax Credit

I'm jealous. I can't even get a vague guesstimate of delivery or price.

Won't they commit to MSRP? Delivery is another story. It seems the manual TDIs may be delayed, from what I've gleaned from the rumor mill. Don't ask me for a source, I don't remember where I read it but I seem to remember hearing December?

Since running the numbers I'm still on the fence, but I think a SportWagen TDI is in my future as long as my local dealer doesn't tack on $ in addition to MSRP. Some dealers around the country are already marking them up by $2k or so, apparently.

CDH.

$2K I could live with, if need be. Gotta buy through our fleet provider, who has their preferred dealers. I put a deposit down at the nearest dealer. And I told fleet about Ohio & NC. Just not getting much feedback.

Actually, you should be eligible as a business for the "Advanced Lean Burn Technology" credit. See: Summary of the Credit for Qualified Hybrid Vehicles
Scroll down. Businesses claim the credit on form 3800. I presume this applies for "lean burn" as well as hybrid vehicles.

The TDIs have not yet been added to the IRS website yet, but the thread at VWVortex seems to have an official VW press release here: VWvortex Forums: Buyers of Volkswagen Jetta TDI vehicles eligible for a $1300 Federal Tax Credit

Won't they commit to MSRP? Delivery is another story. It seems the manual TDIs may be delayed, from what I've gleaned from the rumor mill. Don't ask me for a source, I don't remember where I read it but I seem to remember hearing December?

Since running the numbers I'm still on the fence, but I think a SportWagen TDI is in my future as long as my local dealer doesn't tack on $ in addition to MSRP. Some dealers around the country are already marking them up by $2k or so, apparently.

CDH.

If anyone is interested, I purchased the demo from my dealer and I pick it up on the 1st of August. The car had a window of 24,150 and he sold it to me for 22,500. It has about 300 demo miles on it. The stickers and decals will all be removed and the dealer guarantees me that where they were will not show. If I were you, I would call around to local dealers and see if they would sell you theirs. Maybe you don't like white, but it will get you a diesel quicker. All the dealers I have spoken too in the midwest have said they are charging MSRP and no markup. I have deposits on other cars at sticker and when they come, if anyone is interested, you can take over the order.

The dealers were told by Volks they couldn't sell the demos til then.

I'll keep it in mind. Did they just give you a spot in line, to take whatever comes in, or do you have specific options picked?

It'll be interesting to see if any arrive that are not loaded to the gills.

Dumb question, but I haven't seen this mentioned.

Since most car heaters work off water out of the engine block, how do electrics or hybrids (when engine not running) heat the passenger cabin? If they use battery power to heat, wouldn't that kill their mileage numbers?

Yes, to the extent they use batteries to power resistance heating elements. However, I believe the batteries themselves may give off heat, and the motors, which might get "recycled" into the vehicle. Personally, I think they ought to put catalytic heaters in them, and we just continue to fuel those. That doesn't seem to be in the cards, though.

I'll keep it in mind. Did they just give you a spot in line, to take whatever comes in, or do you have specific options picked?

It'll be interesting to see if any arrive that are not loaded to the gills.

I ordered a black one loaded, and a grey one loaded. That was before he offered me the demo. There is a list but the way it works is that when VW notifies the dealer of what cars they can get , they pick and choose the colors and option which best suits their customers. So if I am first on the list and the first car they get is not what I ordered, they would still call me first and offer it to me and if I refused, they would offer it to the next person in line.

I've gotten word thru out fleet provider that all the sportwagens are sold out for the year. Next round of deliveries is late August here. No real choice- just see what VW builds and what the dealer offers to sell you, and decide if you want it.

If anyone is interested, I purchased the demo from my dealer and I pick it up on the 1st of August. The car had a window of 24,150 and he sold it to me for 22,500. It has about 300 demo miles on it. The stickers and decals will all be removed and the dealer guarantees me that where they were will not show. If I were you, I would call around to local dealers and see if they would sell you theirs. Maybe you don't like white, but it will get you a diesel quicker. All the dealers I have spoken too in the midwest have said they are charging MSRP and no markup. I have deposits on other cars at sticker and when they come, if anyone is interested, you can take over the order.

All pre-sold around here. No word on when I might get a chance to buy where I left a deposit- at any price.

Yes, I think I might want to take you up on your offer. It might well be worth the trip, financially, to travel there and pick it up. Just gotta have faith it'll make the trip back w/no problems.

Let me know if this offer to take over your spot in line is still available & I'll PM you with direct contact info.

It would be a bummer if I lose out on a Jetta and end up with a Smart Car after all!

Just got a call from the VW dealer where I left a deposit. It will be in between the 18th & 28th of this month. I'll go there a couple of days early to sign papers, pay, etc. Still, no firm price. All we know is that it's the color scheme I requested. No idea of how it's equipped. But he did say their training guy who travels to dealers teaching them about the diesel, etc, says he's getting mid to high 50s for mpg.

Wow, all this and Fios, too!

Cool! Did you settle on the sedan or Wagen?

Also, seen this: Auburn Volkswagen is a Auburn Volkswagen dealer and a new car and used car Auburn WA Volkswagen dealership. [TDI vs. Prius Auburn, WA to San Francisco, CA on one tank of gas.]

Of course the Prius would beat the TDI in town (and the $/mile in this test favors the Prius due to lower priced fuel), but still - 50+ mpg highway in a real-world test is pretty darn good!

Oh... and: you might be interested in knowing that there is now a VW sourced Bluetooth unit available for MkV Jettas. About $300-340 plus dealer installation. It seems pretty bare-bones, but works for those folks needing hands-free.

CDH.

I went with the sedan, because they are to be delivered before the "wagens." I would have found the SportWagen more useful. I wonder if there's any difference in real world fuel economy? Moot point, now.

Diesel around here this morning is selling for over 80 cents below the high mark. Gas has dropped considerably also. But I don't think people are going to slip back into SUVs this time.

Thanks for the links, I'll look them over tonight.

Sales Critter called me tonight, stating "near the end of August." I can see it now, I'll have to come in off my vacation to pick it up. He stated it's a "Loyal" edition and seems to think it has satellite radio in it. Maybe they all do.

I'll stick with my ear bud. That's about the only Bluetooth function I need, at those prices!

The loyal edition should be just like the demo you tried.

And yes, I think all the TDI models come with Sirius Satellite radio CD-changers.

CDH.

Thanks. I certainly hope to know first hand in about 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)