Smart TV versus Streaming Stick

Have you tried Plex on your Roku for playing ripped movies?

No I have not. I thought Plex required a computer to transcode. I haven't felt the need to do that for my Roku TV, since I can just switch inputs to my Patriot Box Office.

I also have the H3. Can that stream mpeg2 DVD rips from a LAN?

No I have not. I thought Plex required a computer to transcode. I haven't felt the need to do that for my Roku TV, since I can just switch inputs to my Patriot Box Office.

I also have the H3. Can that stream mpeg2 DVD rips from a LAN?

Depends on the model of Roku. Some of the newer ones can play mpeg2. Personally I think Emby does a better job than Plex now. I’ve stopped using Plex for most things and use Emby now.

Reactions: TheKrell
Also, there is an end date to the HBO content included with Prime Video. AT&T has said they would not renew their content contract with Amazon. I think it might be the end of 2019, but I cannot seems to find the details. At that point, you would need an HBO subscription to watch any HBO content on Prime Video.

I figured that was coming. I’ll have to say I’ve enjoyed being able to revisit older original series, but once game of throne ends and I pick up HBO on Amazon to binge the last season I I’ll never look back.

Good luck finding a dumb TV, especially in the larger sizes. Anyway, you can slap a Roku or similar on that outdated smart TV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I like having the redundancy of the smart tv apps. Our oldest is is about a 5 year old Samsung 55 1080p and still does great with its apps. Once an app is rolling it’s faster than the 3 year old wireless Joey feeding it.

HBO GO is used in conjunction with a pay-TV subscription to HBO. HBO NOW is a standalone product. So you'd use your Dish credentials to use HBO GO (if Dish had HBO, that is).

Any difference between hbo now and getting it thru prime?

Any difference between hbo now and getting it thru prime?
Prime will give you HBO live, Now does not. For live programming like Bill Maher or sports you have to wait until the next day to watch with Now. I have noted that Prime isn't giving you 5.1 on HBO though. So, it's a toss up depending upon your priorities. I use Now because 5.1 is important to me and I hardly ever watch anything Live anyway. Programming like Game of Thrones is available immediately on both.

Prime will give you HBO live, Now does not. For live programming like Bill Maher or sports you have to wait until the next day to watch with Now. I have noted that Prime isn't giving you 5.1 on HBO though. So, it's a toss up depending upon your priorities. I use Now because 5.1 is important to me and I hardly ever watch anything Live anyway. Programming like Game of Thrones is available immediately on both.

Thank you, I know it has been discussed on here but I haven't paid that much attention.

We can live without 5.1, probably go with prime so I can use the amazon store card and get 5% back.

So how do you keep up with your favorite program in HBO? You can't set a timer, it is not in the DISH guide, and it is not in my Titantv.com favorites list. All this streaming stuff is not for me. I cannot see why so many give up a nice Hopper DVR for streaming. PITA. I hope DISH gets HBO back someday.

Reactions: joewhite57
Reactions: comfortably_numb
So how do you keep up with your favorite program in HBO? You can't set a timer, it is not in the DISH guide, and it is not in my Titantv.com favorites list. All this streaming stuff is not for me. I cannot see why so many give up a nice Hopper DVR for streaming. PITA. I hope DISH gets HBO back someday.

It's on demand, kind of like a dvr in the cloud. You select the show you want whenever you want and watch it. You can pause, ff & rw just like a dvr.

I like having both, they compliment each other & gives you more options for finding something to watch.

Once you get past the learning curve you would probably change your opinion.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's on demand, kind of like a dvr in the cloud. You select the show you want whenever you want and watch it. You can pause, ff & rw just like a dvr.

I like having both, they compliment each other & gives you more options for finding something to watch.

Once you get past the learning curve you would probably change your opinion.

Thanks stardust3. Ya, I see the wife doing that with some things that she likes in Netflix. I am getting too old for this learning curve stuff. I doubt my opinion will change. :confused:

Reactions: stardust3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts