"Smart TVs twice as popular as dedicated streaming boxes"

concord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Southern North Carolina
But article then says, only 69% are connected and who knows how many actually use the streaming part...

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/02/smart-tv-penetration-tdg-report/

I have a smart TV, Roku and HTPC. I hardly ever use the SmartTv portion, use my Roku and HTPC for streaming stuff. On a side note, after purchasing the Sony TV two years ago, the TV Guide stops working...have to reset the TV, then it comes back for a couple weeks...I think Sony does this to get you to buy another TV, good thing I have a HTPC w/TV Guide (Win 7, for now anyways).

Smart TV penetration in homes is the same as 3D TV penetration in homes. People are buying TV's that just happen to have it, not that people are looking for it. People who buy streaming boxes are buying them to stream. So while it looks like Smart TV's are winning the battle, they really aren't.

For me, the streaming box is better because they get updated far more often than Smart TV's do and I can always get a different box far cheaper than buying a different TV.

Yeah I have a smart TV because the 3D LED model I wanted just happened to have it built in. I have never used the smart features outside trying them out to see what was available though. At the time I bought it my TV couldn't get the 1080p or DD 5.1 streams from Netflix like my Apple TV, Roku, or game consoles can. It may have since been updated but I'll never know since I don't even have it connected to broadband anymore.

It is also much slower and clunkier to operate than any of those devices and as far as I know it still doesn't include MLB.tv. I can see how it would be convenient for those who just want Netflix or Amazon Instant and don't want to deal with additional boxes. For me the lack of 5.1 sound and streaming services available makes it a no go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is a lot easier to use features on things you already have like a smart TV vs having to buy an addition piece of hardware like a roku or Apple TV.

just bought a Samsung LED smart TV. Has all the apps I want
HBOgo, netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu

It is a lot easier to use features on things you already have like a smart TV vs having to buy an addition piece of hardware like a roku or Apple TV.

This true, newer TVs have added more "channels", then two-three years ago. Newer TVs have more firmware memory space than two-three years ago. I asked Sony if they were going to add Hulu Plus and they said no, but with enough complaints they finally did. My TV will only output 2.0 (optical out), not sure what the newer TVs are capable of. Stand-alone devices need to keep adding/improving "channels" to keep relevant...you are more likely to switch out a box with a different one, than switching out TVs (cost factor).

My most recent TV is a smart TV, but other than testing it all out, I don't use or really see much need for the 'smart' functions unless you have a TV and use its speakers. Otherwise, the interface and sound from the standalone boxes is much better in general.

The best part of my smart TV was that I got a $4.99 credit from VUDU when I signed up for it because it came with my TV, and then I got another $4.99 credit when I signed on with the 3D Bluray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts