Smartcard Problems

fcouples1211

Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Smartcard Problems (Dish 522)

Hi everyone,

It seems Monday's update has caused some severe problems with my dish. I have a Dish DVR 522 receiver with software L468. When I turned on the TV Monday morning an error appeared telling me that the smart card was incompatible with the receiver and told me to eject the card before the system rebooted. After I ejected the card and the system rebooted, the screen was black and nothing was appearing. I called tech support and they had me do some things with the receiver until eventually it aquired the satellite signal. I could watch some channels, so I assumed everything was working again. Later that day I tried to tune to another channel (one which I have watched before and is included in my subscription) and it gave me the following message:

"This subscription channel is available for immediate upgrade without a call. Press OK to find out more."

I then scrolled through my favorites list to find that a vast majority of the channels were highlighted in green and gave me the same dialog when I tried to tune to them. I called tech support again and they told me that the latest software upgrade made some changes to the smart card management and that new cards were sent out and would arrive in 2 weeks. They tried uploading the smartcard configuration directly to my box but alas it had no effect, and I also tried having it dial in to see if that would help.

It seems like I am stuck with the very minimal "default channels" such as NASA, Oxygen, PPV, etc. until the new card arrives in two weeks. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this (they told me many people were calling in) and if anyone has a solution.

Thank you,
Jeff

Last edited:
exactly, I know the new purple cards are coming but this is the first instance I know of one actually existing, if that's what we have here.

When this happens on a ViP622, usually around the time major uplink changes happen, a reboot of the receiver gets all the authorizations back to normal. Have you tried that?

exactly, I know the new purple cards are coming but this is the first instance I know of one actually existing, if that's what we have here.

When this happens on a ViP622, usually around the time major uplink changes happen, a reboot of the receiver gets all the authorizations back to normal. Have you tried that?

yeah, I've tried rebooting it many times as well as unplugging it, pressing power to drain the capacitors, and turning it back on.

thanks for the suggestion!

Jeff

So I finally got this thing working again after another call to tech support. Apparently the person who resent the authorizations sent it for the the smartcard number instead of the number stored in system info.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions!

- Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts