SMATV Headend - FOX Sports Southwest HD Ch.5416 Error Message 031

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WJohnOsborne

Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am having an issue that neither my FSR or Dish can help me with, or even acknowledge that my problem exists.

I have an 85 channel headend setup on Dish Network of which, 84 channels work flawlessly and 100% of the time.

My one channel issue is with RSN Fox Sports Southwest HD Channel 5416 (remap 416). The headend is installed and channels are static to the lineup selected by the customer, and then re-modulated into the distribution feed channels for the property. Therefore the headend does not need to be manned and no adjustments should be required outside of routine maintenance and service.

However, RSN FSSWHD appears to cut their feed (or Dish Network does) to make bandwidth available for other programming when channel is not in use. This off air status is shown on the satellite receiver as a message 031 stating "The channel you are attempting to view is currently unavailable. This may be due to routine maintenance or an event broadcasting which you are not eligible to view. We apologize for the inconvenience. To choose a different channel, press the GUIDE button on the remote." I have attached a photo of the screen below.

Msg31_Over_Blank_Screen.JPG

This would appear to be working correctly when programming is not available, however my issue is when the programming returns. The message remains over the programming covering 90% of the screen making the program un-watchable. See image below.

Msg31_Over_Picture.JPG

At a residential installation where customer interaction is present you can hit a button such as Guide or Cancel or anything and the message will go away, however with this installation being a SMATV Headend that is not an option as no interaction with the individual receivers takes place outside of service calls. The customers have a feed from the headend channel lineup that they simply tune to their desired channel on their TV and no further control is available to them. When they tune to the inhouse channel for RSN FSSWHD they see these messages and must move to another channel on their TV within the lineup or attempt to only listen to a broadcast they cannot see. As with the picture above you can clearly see the Dallas Stars Hockey team playing a game that is covered by the error message 31.

My question is how do I eliminate the message from being broadcast? I have tried to setup timers that autotune to another channel in the early AM and then re-autotune to the RSN Fox Sports HD channel and again re-autotune to the RSN at 12:00 noon. I ran this setup this weekend to see if it would eliminate the messages however my customer called this morning once again and the messages were present throughout the weekend with no change. I am going out into the field again to see what has happened however I am told the messages remained on Saturday from when the director arrived at 10:30am through 12:30pm when he left which tells me the daily timer set to 12:00pm noon did not eliminate the message and the error 31 is still present this morning.

On a side note; I have updated the firmware/software of the 211k receiver with the latest version X551 according to dish. Also I have already changed receivers from another 211k to see if maybe the receiver had an issue and neither one of these attempts have solved the issue.Can anyone help me eliminate these messages or tell me how to make them go away upon return of programming without having to have direct interaction with the receiver? Surely I am not the only person on Dish with a SMATV headend tuned to an RSN HD channel?

Thanks in advance for any help

Out at property right now and error message 031 is directly over the Dish Network RSN filler that says to "Check back often to see if your favorite team is playing in HD" and you can hear the elevator music audio on the channel. Just hitting channel up and down fixes the message however what can I do when no one is around?

image-3523996736.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not that it helps any, but I have a SMATV too. I'm having trouble with an HD channel (1 of 20) switching to the Dish barker channel at different times of the day or night and the only thing that will fix it is a person hitting channel up or down on a remote. I've tried timers and such like you. The only response I can get from Dish is "It shouldn't do that".

switching to the Dish barker channel at different times of the day or night

Not sure if this is your issue but when I first installed this SMATV I used all 1m dishes on a legacy multiswitch setup into my 3 racks. I found no issues with 7 out of 9 HD channels with the locals in HD being broadcast on 110 position and the others on Sat 129 position. The locals worked fine and so did HGTV and ESPN in HD. The kicker was TNT HD and Fox Sports Southwest HD moved around satellite positions seemingly at will (I would assume due to bandwidth requirements). On Fox SW I noticed on Sat 129 when it went offline I would find the Satellite Receiver had retuned to Cooking Channel 113 HD.

I decided to switch my HD feeds over to a DPP 44 multiswitch setup and utilize a dish 1000.2 for these 9 HD channels in order to have all 3 satellites available to all my HD programming receivers. This solved that problem leaving me with the Channel Unavailable message issue for which I still can find no solution.

Hope this might help you in some way.
WJO

I have a working auto timer currently setup now to change to Fox Sports SW analog at 3am after all games and retune to Fox Sports SW HD at 6pm before evening games however this is a temp fix as game schedules are likely to switch and we will miss the HD programming prior to 6pm with this current work around. Any additional ideas would be great. Thanks.

Well Dish Network failed to support this issue and make a software fix available so I have changed the RSN FoxSportsSW over to DirecTV as they have 24/7 feeds on both HD and SD even if some of the HD programming in the early morning is infomercials atleast there is a feed and not an error message to delete from the screen. I would recommend DirecTV for sports programming after what I have encountered with Dish, and not have to go through this lesson again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)