Smithsonian HD dropped and replaced with Crime & Investigation HD

While I hate to lose channels like this, I have to admit I rarely watched Smithsonian. NatGeo, Science, and Discover have really filled that niche for me quite nicely since the end of Voom.

While I hate to lose channels like this, I have to admit I rarely watched Smithsonian. NatGeo, Science, and Discover have really filled that niche for me quite nicely since the end of Voom.

I think the channel assignments for these channels makes zero sense. Maybe more people would have watched Smithsonian if it were near A&E, Discovery, etc.

I have three timers for Smithsonian. I remember when Dish removed Voom. Dish said they got very few complaints, which one was from me. I sent ceo@dishnetwork.com an email already this morning. Please everybody. Complain!!!!!! We already got TNT, USA , etc. We don't need another Crime channel. Dish adds 22, then removes 15. Now they add one, remove one. Are we seeing a trend here.

Yea well 17 channels Dropped in less then 1 year is not good business.

You were happy they dropped VOOM, and repeatedly let us know that. Smithsonian is a very similarly programmed channel in content and variety, as well as repeats. Why do you care? Did you just want some money from Charlie?

Since Smithsonian was the reason I picked up Plat-HD, I just saved ten American Dollars by dropping the Plat-HD service. (Sorry Charlie) :rolleyes:
Good conversation here.

You were happy they dropped VOOM, and repeatedly let us know that. Smithsonian is a very similarly programmed channel in content and variety, as well as repeats. Why do you care? Did you just want some money from Charlie?
Because they dropped Smithsonian. Isn't that what this thread is about? And of course I want money from charlie. I sure as Hell give him enough of it every month. If they can't afford it ,they won't give it. I didn't care for Voom much at all, But now they keep dropping channels higher up each time on the scale. Next it will be Viacom channels, So if that happens I'll need to collect a few credits from Charlie to off set my early temination fees when I switch to FIOS.
I also Just found out I qualified for HBO and Starz Free for 3 months, But since I have everything pack they gave $60 in credits ,
Plus $10 per month for the next 12 months.
Maybe you should go Dish website and see what you qualify for. You might be surprised.

Current Programming

• AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK

$102.98
  • GoldHD
    $10.00
  • Superstation Package
    $5.99
  • PlatinumHD
    $10.00
  • Multi Sport Package
    $5.99
  • DISH Home Protection Plan
    $5.99
  • 3 Mths Prem Offer 1 of 3
    -$20.00
  • Loyalty Offer 1 OF 12
    -$10.00
  • Fees$7.00
  • TOTAL $117.95

I think the channel assignments for these channels makes zero sense. Maybe more people would have watched Smithsonian if it were near A&E, Discovery, etc.

very good point; I have long thought that the channel assignments for what I call the "cable channels" has long been screwed up. I want them all next to each other, by type of channel, like the movie channels are. I know if I go to 300 and page up, I get everything from HBO, MAX, Sho, and Starz. Easy. :)

It's gonna be back on in a few days. Chill.

I can only hope you are right. I really liked the channel. Dish's logic on this is fairly circular. I know that the recievers track viewing data and that Dish is using this as their negotiating tool, but the fact the channel shows many repeats limits the amount of viewing it got. I monitored the guide for shows that were new and I watched accordingly. Unfortunately that translated into a very low amount of face time for that particular channel on my 722. I have a feeling I'm not the only one that did this. Now Dish basically is saying it wasn't watched enough to justify keeping it. They didn't do that to Discovery HD Theater back in the early days of HD. I could call and complain, but I really only think their aggregate data of viewing is the only statistic they care about. All I can do is hope it is resolved and they put it back on. I'll keep it in my guide and hope.

Could you elaborate on this?

Also, after editing and rereading my post, I''m statring to think that Hemi 6.1 has a very good argument.
Log into your account under programming or Programming Offers and see what you may qualify for HBO and Starz free for 3 months, and maybe a Loyal Customer offer $10 per month for 12 months.

Because they dropped Smithsonian. Isn't that what this thread is about? And of course I want money from charlie. I sure as Hell give him enough of it every month. If they can't afford it ,they won't give it. I didn't care for Voom much at all, But now they keep dropping channels higher up each time on the scale. Next it will be Viacom channels, So if that happens I'll need to collect a few credits from Charlie to off set my early temination fees when I switch to FIOS.
I also Just found out I qualified for HBO and Starz Free for 3 months, But since I have everything pack they gave $60 in credits ,
Plus $10 per month for the next 12 months.
Maybe you should go Dish website and see what you qualify for. You might be surprised.

Current Programming

• AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK

$102.98
  • GoldHD
    $10.00
  • Superstation Package
    $5.99
  • PlatinumHD
    $10.00
  • Multi Sport Package
    $5.99
  • DISH Home Protection Plan
    $5.99
  • 3 Mths Prem Offer 1 of 3
    -$20.00
  • Loyalty Offer 1 OF 12
    -$10.00
  • Fees$7.00
  • TOTAL $117.95

HEY, you just saved me $120! Thanks! I just signed up for the $10 off for 12 months; going to click on the HBO and Starz savings next. Very nice. :D

Wow, another good channel gone. Thanks Charlie. Is this is answer to fixing the problem he is having with subscriber retention?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts