Snow on dish.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Would cooking oil work to keep snow from sticking to a dish or is it a futile battle? Got a storm going by dropping 8" of wet snow that keeps sticking to the LNBS and two reflectors of my T90 and it's a pain not being able to watch TV.:)

that should work fine. We just had 6 inches of snow and I didnt have any on the reflectors though....on top of the LNB, yes :)

I would think cooking oil would eventually freeze and get gummy, thereby allowing accumulation of snow/ice on the gummy surface. I tried the "PAM" on the dish thing back when I was subbing to the pizza guys - it never really did anything except make a mess. What you need is some of that stuff that Chevy Chase made and put on the bottom of his sled... that stuff should do the trick ;)

Some guys I know used to truck snow. Before loading the snow they would spray a thin layer of antifreeze in the truck box so that when they tipped the box the snow slid right out.

How about putting a trash bag over it, I personally do not have any issues with snow on my dishes except for my 3.1m, but a snow brush usually clears that up pretty quick.

I was going to suggest Rain-X, but haven't had any chance to try it here, since the snow is very infrequent, and usually light.

I have tried the Rain Shield and it works very well.

It is a tad on the expensive side especially if you have more than one dish. :)

When I tried it I used the spray cans. You need to put on a fairly heavy even coat and the dish has to be squeaky clean for best results.

I have been told that the wipes go further and goes on more evenly than the spray, but haven't tried them.

Fred

I fell for the Pam thing too. Had to go out and scrape all the bugs off the dish.
WD-40 works well. So does the trash bag Vfrjim suggested.

Fuel Oil works for snow hauling in dump trucks too. Although on your dish it might not do wonders for the grass underneath.

Try windshield washer fluid with "Rain-X". Pour some in a small spray bottle and spray your dish and lnb. We get lots of wet sticky snow here and it works the very best, snow slides off and won't stick. Its cheap around $4.00 a jug, and one jug lasts all winter.

I might try the Rain-x idea. A garbage bag over my T90 probably wouldn't last long with the sun beating on it. I also think it would end up sagging with the weight of the snow on it being a big dish with a not so small second reflector.

From what I've read of rain-x, I wouldn't need much. And don't use it on a windy day because it apparently can cause blindness if it gets into your eyes. Let alone inhale it.

You could also use shrink wrap, I bought some on ebay and wrap my condensor on my HVAC and my fountain in the winter time, it lasts fine in the UV, pretty cheap, it cost me $10 for a roll of it on ebay.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)