Snow on the dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
rainx or pam or any type of non stick cooking spray works as a short term fix.
Never had ANY luck with any of these, also, they sell something called Rain something, I can't remember exactly, comes in a can like a WD 40 can, don't waste your time.

These items that they say to put on the dish would wash away in the rain/snow anyways. Pam is the same way.

Never had ANY luck with any of these, also, they sell something called Rain something, I can't remember exactly, comes in a can like a WD 40 can, don't waste your time.

These items that they say to put on the dish would wash away in the rain/snow anyways. Pam is the same way.

Believe it or not I have read somewhere that the current Slimline dish is supposed to have a non-stick coating of its own. The snow stopped yesterday and it even started to melt a bit, but we still have ground coverage. All I know is that the dish appeared to be completely free of snow.

DON'T USE PAM OR ANY OTHER VEGETABLE BASED SPRAY!!!!!!!!
It will only gum up the surface of the dish and hold the snow to it. Use RainX or something similiar.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejb1980
If ice is in your forecast, cover the dish with a tarp. You're not going to be able to watch it anyway (good time for an AM21). When storm is over, remove the tarp and you have no ice and your neighbors will probably have no cable!

If ice is in your forecast, cover the dish with a tarp. You're not going to be able to watch it anyway (good time for an AM21). When storm is over, remove the tarp and you have no ice and your neighbors will probably have no cable!
It all depends, many times ice doesn't bother it, other times it does ... I never cover the dish with anything, if I have a build up of wet snow when I get home I would go out and clean it off, ice usually won't effect it .... at least here, each location varies.

I don't have a super soaker although I should give the kids that for a Christmas present
as an excuse to try the snow removal, but dish isn't too high and it is reachable and we have a huge central AC unit right beside it, not that huge, but huge enough to get on top of it, it's metal so it withstands my weight
and use a broom to sweep the snow off, although it's kind of a safety hazard standing on top of a slippery top AC unit
during winter, when snow gets piled on top of it, and have to sweep that first.

I don't have a super soaker although I should give the kids that for a Christmas present
as an excuse to try the snow removal, but dish isn't too high and it is reachable and we have a huge central AC unit right beside it, not that huge, but huge enough to get on top of it, it's metal so it withstands my weight
and use a broom to sweep the snow off, although it's kind of a safety hazard standing on top of a slippery top AC unit
during winter, when snow gets piled on top of it, and have to sweep that first.

How far does your super soaker shoot? Do you fill it with warm water, or a mix? I was thinking about getting one of these but if the water just ices up the dish what good is it.

M
How far does your super soaker shoot? Do you fill it with warm water, or a mix? I was thinking about getting one of these but if the water just ices up the dish what good is it.
Most of the time the Ice doesn't cause it, its the wet snow that does the most damage.

How far does your super soaker shoot? Do you fill it with warm water, or a mix? I was thinking about getting one of these but if the water just ices up the dish what good is it.[/QUOTE
I don't have a super soaker since dish is reachable if I stand on top of AC unit that's underneath but beside the edge of the roof(dish located)by at least 2 feet, of course i'll have lean forward a bit and stretch with a broom.

I don't have a super soaker since dish is reachable if I stand on top of AC unit that's underneath but beside the edge of the roof(dish located)by at least 2 feet, of course i'll have lean forward a bit and stretch with a broom.
I have made snowballs and tossed them at the dish. Boing! when you hit it the snow covering drops off. Works in an emergency when a dish is up on a roof that is slippery.

I have made snowballs and tossed them at the dish. Boing! when you hit it the snow covering drops off. Works in an emergency when a dish is up on a roof that is slippery.

You best hope you don't hit the lnb with that snowball!

Last winter I didn't need to brush snow off because it wasn't wet snow, so no standing on anything
still good signal with all that snow that came, and covered the dish with snow and ice.

When my dish gets covered... I pull my van around front of my house.. set may ladder up. Lock it on the gutter.. climb up and use the snow brush from my van and a cordless hair dryer.. if need be I change the lnb out.. then again I swap my lnb about once a year... oh.. wait.... sorry guys I guess these aren't viable solutions for you guys... my bad..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)