Snow (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,188
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
depends, but most of the time they will try to find somewhere other then the roof, to install, if they cant they might reschedule, but it really all depends on who you get
 

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jun 26, 2004
128
0
New Jersey
when i had snow on the roof they said "no way." They will most likely reschedule. The risks of falling off aren't worth your DirecTV viewing enjoyment. :)
 

ZawNH-VT

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 27, 2004
113
0
Find a different place to install the dish. If I have to get up, put the ladder up adn see what kind of traction do i get with my boots. if it slippery then will try to lay the ladder on the roof.
 

wobbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2004
569
0
Snow on roof, no go on roof. Try telling your insurance company you fell off a snow covered roof trying to install a satellite antenna.
 

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2004
324
1
Chicago
i had an installer show up to add an extra stb the day after we had a major snow storm. he brought a shovel, shoveled the snow of the roof and installed the stb. i tipped him well.
 

steveman123

Member
Jan 30, 2005
11
0
well the guy came. He wouldnt do it, would not move the dish. I am so pissed. I even offerd him an extra $100 then $200 he still wouldnt do it. :eek:
 

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,188
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
dgordo said:
i had an installer show up to add an extra stb the day after we had a major snow storm. he brought a shovel, shoveled the snow of the roof and installed the stb. i tipped him well.

no damage to the roof? as I understand, you are NEVER NEVER to shovel the tile on the roof as this will cause damage to the way the roof will seal!
 

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,188
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
steveman123 said:
well the guy came. He wouldnt do it, would not move the dish. I am so pissed. I even offerd him an extra $100 then $200 he still wouldnt do it. :eek:
didnt think they would, Some companies wont allow some will, some guys dont some do, did they reschedule??
 

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 15, 2004
714
9
what do the people who have 4-5 feet of snow on their roof do? They eventually gotta get it off so it doesn't collapse under the weight of the snow.
 

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,188
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
mikedz4 said:
what do the people who have 4-5 feet of snow on their roof do? They eventually gotta get it off so it doesn't collapse under the weight of the snow.
????? what???? here is a quote from a random web site that specializes in home repair and such

"When you shovel your roof , leave 2-3 inches of snow on your roof. If you shovel down to the shingles, you may damage them. And, if you shovel in an upward motion, you can rip or tear the shingles fright off.

Be careful when you hire someone to shovel your roof. An inexperienced person can do more harm then good. Don't make the mistake of hiring someone that is not fully insured or you you run the risk of incurring great liability if that person falls off your roof while shoveling.

A snow rake is a popular tool, but there are downsides to snow raking. If you only rake part way up the the roof, all you are doing is pushing the ice dam farther up the roof. The best solution is to remove all of the snow, letting mother nature take her course."

copyright:dwight and sons
 

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2004
324
1
Chicago
stuart628 said:
no damage to the roof? as I understand, you are NEVER NEVER to shovel the tile on the roof as this will cause damage to the way the roof will seal!

my roof is tar, it doesn't have shingels and besides, it needs to be redone in the next year anyway. i was very suprised that the installer even showed up, but he said that his boss told him that if he did not do his installs for the day he would "be in trouble."
 

SatinstallerhatesVOOM

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 20, 2005
26
0
As an installer my company FORBIDS us to go onto a roof or shovel or for that matter salt a roof. (Don't laugh i actually had a customer ask me to do that). A broken leg or back or whatever isnt worth 100 bucks! One wrong move on a snow, ice covered roof and its like skateboarding off a cliff. I have a 32' ladder if I can get to the location and brush the snow away and work from the ladder its all good!
 

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
8,188
26
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
dgordo said:
my roof is tar, it doesn't have shingels and besides, it needs to be redone in the next year anyway. i was very suprised that the installer even showed up, but he said that his boss told him that if he did not do his installs for the day he would "be in trouble."

point taken, I guess I assumed (which is very wrong by the way) that roof consits of shingle, I was wrong, I even grew up with a tar and metal roof in west virginia, you think I would know that, sorry guys, but my point still stands, just altered :D
 

tjlandberg

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 24, 2005
42
0
Fargo, North Dakota
for me it depends on how steep the roof is. If it's not that steep snow really doesn't matter. If I need to then I crawl. But if it's semi-steep than I would reschedule.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
1,821
0
Spokane, WA
tjlandberg said:
for me it depends on how steep the roof is. If it's not that steep snow really doesn't matter. If I need to then I crawl. But if it's semi-steep than I would reschedule.
That's gutsy! I used to sell roofs and if there was a pitch of 4 or more (almost all roofs) I woulsn't go up with rain, frost or snow. Those were the days to bid the flat roofs! Not to sould like the OSHA guy or anything but safety should always be first. Yours or someone elses.
 

tjlandberg

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 24, 2005
42
0
Fargo, North Dakota
I get more traction on a roof with snow on it then if someone shovled snow off. I dont want you guys to think i'm crazy but it's even close to being steep I wont go. I really hate not getting a job done and the fact I dont get paid unless it gets done sucks even more. But if I dont feel safe then I wont do it.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top