SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

It's been said here by many that Dish isn't saving money by broadcasting the RSNs in HD part-time. Maybe it's just a part of Charlie's strategy to load up on HD premiums instead.

Is it possible that this "game only" HD status is what may be behind the loss of RSNs recently?? At contract time, could these RSNs (rightly so I might add) be demanding that their HD channel be full-time and Dish would rather drop them than meet that request?? More and more RSNs are offering most of their programming in HD and if I were running one I'd be damn sure to expect full-time carriage. Not being full-time HD has to affect viewership/ratings....

D* installed this morning after 13+ years with E*. So, we can Watch SNY again.... Tech was great. We went from AEP W/add on HD pack, 2HD DVRs W/EHD enabled and 1 HD receiver to DirecTV premium, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD receivers, HD add on pack and Whole House DVR. I lose a few HD and Premium channels but I can live with the changes (considering I will save about $450 over the next 2 years). Pricing after promo is pretty much the same. E* recent pricing changes brought them up to the point they no longer have the price advantage on the high end packages and services. Mets games are a must in our house (not me, but the rest of the family) so I had to do something.

I have to say, I am quite impressed with the HR24 picture quality. Looking at it side by side, I think it is slightly better than the 722k I had but that may depend on the TV. I think I am going to miss the EHD functionality of the 722/722k but I gain some other functionality so it's OK. When my wife contacted SNY, the response she got was basically, if you want SNY find a new provider. I am not going to be one to advocate that others do what we did. I did a lot of comparison shopping, for the stuff I like, I still think E* is a bit better but the loss of SNY after Discovery health and others crossed the line of what we would tolerate.

Guess I need to change my signature now.....

D* installed this morning after 13+ years with E*. So, we can Watch SNY again.... Tech was great. We went from AEP W/add on HD pack, 2HD DVRs W/EHD enabled and 1 HD receiver to DirecTV premium, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD receivers, HD add on pack and Whole House DVR. I lose a few HD and Premium channels but I can live with the changes (considering I will save about $450 over the next 2 years). Pricing after promo is pretty much the same. E* recent pricing changes brought them up to the point they no longer have the price advantage on the high end packages and services. Mets games are a must in our house (not me, but the rest of the family) so I had to do something.

I have to say, I am quite impressed with the HR24 picture quality. Looking at it side by side, I think it is slightly better than the 722k I had but that may depend on the TV. I think I am going to miss the EHD functionality of the 722/722k but I gain some other functionality so it's OK. When my wife contacted SNY, the response she got was basically, if you want SNY find a new provider. I am not going to be one to advocate that others do what we did. I did a lot of comparison shopping, for the stuff I like, I still think E* is a bit better but the loss of SNY after Discovery health and others crossed the line of what we would tolerate.

Guess I need to change my signature now.....

Our household is the same - loss of SNY was the final straw.

[FONT=&quot]SNY rubbed salt in the wound today by sending me this email.... This was my response. I'm actually a little mad at both E* and SNY, but maybe this and a few others might help them nudge together to a deal.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Email response:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No, I’m just dropping you. You have a team that is projected to finish in the bottom third of the league, you barely did anything in the offseason to improve the team’s chances of even matching last year’s losing record. I’m not abandoning my $1000+ investment in Dish Network (4 DVRs, plus whole house wiring) so you can raise your carriage rates at 10 times the rate of inflation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cut a fair deal, or I boycott the Mets for at least this year and maybe longer (no TV watching, no radio listening, no coming to the ballpark). I don’t blame Dish Network, I blame you. I barely had any interest in the Mets this year as they are obviously rebuilding and are at least 3 years away from threatening the Phillies again. If I can’t watch the team, I quickly lose interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I highly suggest you find middle ground quickly, before I give up on this season completely. I’ve got a ton of recorded show’s built up on my DVR which will hold me over until you figure out that the last thing you need to do in a down economy is to gouge the fans that keep paying attention to a team that keeps breaking their hearts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bob Murdoch[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brielle[/FONT][FONT=&quot], NJ[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 12:01 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: DISH Network has Raised Rates and Dropped SNY

trans.gif
trans.gif

Please review our privacy policy: http://web.sny.tv/about/privacy.jsp.

You received this message because you registered to receive commercial e-mail messages from sny.tv.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial e-mail messages from sny.tv, please unsubscribe.

Postal Address: sny.tv, c/o MLB: Advanced Media, L.P., 75 Ninth Avenue, 5th Floor, New York, 10011.

© 2011 MLB: Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved. All marks used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2010 Universal Studios. All rights reserved.

If I were a betting man I would not bet that Dish will come to any agreement with SNY. SNY will go the way of MSG on Dish. Anyone who lives in the NY area, and is any kind of sports fan, should seriously consider alternative providers.

If I were a betting man I would not bet that Dish will come to any agreement with SNY. SNY will go the way of MSG on Dish. Anyone who lives in the NY area, and is any kind of sports fan, should seriously consider alternative providers.

It really doesn't make sense for Dish to put much effort into SNY at this point. The sports fan in New York is either 1) long gone or 2) not the least bit interested in DishNetwork Who is going to be interested in ONLY SNY and be willing to accept no MSG & YES? Not too many just Mets fans I imagine?

I have also been shopping D* and cable, and the prices are pretty close to Dish, and they do have the local sports teams in HD. It kind of makes me wonder why Dish is so expensive when the others are priced equally and have the local RSN's. I just wish I hadn't upgraded one of my receivers about 8 months back. I unfortunately signed the dreaded 2 year contract. I know my local cable company runs promo's sometimes where they pay the ETF of a Sat company if you switch, so I will be looking out for that, and switch ASAP.

Because Dish has national pricing. They really should consider giving the NY area a lower rate because at this point if you sign up with E* in that market you are getting much less at the same or higher price than alternatives.

Well, I find it frustrating that my cable will give me (fulltime) SNY-HD, YES-HD, and NESN-HD, and Dish is now giving me no RSNs. Over the past 10 years or so, the cable companies have caught up to Dish with their HD services, and when you also add on the In Demand (or On Demand) features that cable can do, and the fact that I already have to have the cable for my internet, it almost seems crazy to stay with Dish. I guess I'll get used to the crappy cable DVR.

Even though the Mets really suck and are owned by morons, it appears that this will be the final straw that gets me to go back to cable. I'm kinda bummed.

I agree. MSG carries Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Sabres which is alot more professional sports programming than SNY has......and MSG and DISH aren't even talking.

It still boggles my mind that DISH will throw away such a large market as NYC, all of New York, New Jersey and CT to its competition.

Just saw the deal for Cricket. DISH is also big on Soccer and Rugby. Maybe if we can convince Charlie how many non Americans in the NY area and elswhere like Baseball he'll let us have SNY back and maybe add MLB.

This appears to be obvious now, but to anyone still holding out hope that SNY will return, I advise you to move on. There is no benefit for dish to pay any sized fee they would need to pay for the rights because there is no way they can make back enough money to make it a good business decision.

With losing the MSG's there were other side effects based on out of market fans missing the NYC local teams within the Season Pass packages. With SNY that problem doesn't exist for Dish because out of market fans didn't have the option of MLB EI in the first place. This domino fell back when the MSGs were turned off.

Dish still has money to be made in NYC but it's from International customers, some of Dish's oldest subscribers are Italians w/ RAI, Arabs, and the strong South Asian programming.

I agree. MSG carries Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Sabres which is alot more professional sports programming than SNY has......and MSG and DISH aren't even talking.

It still boggles my mind that DISH will throw away such a large market as NYC, all of New York, New Jersey and CT to its competition.

Its all about money and the bottom line. Dish would like you to think that they care about subs, but in reality they are like most other corporations and only care about profits. They have learned they can make more money with less subs, and less overhead (the rsns). If they really cared they would find a way to make a deal, and put the sports nets on their own tier or or sell them individually at near cost pricing to fight churn.

I just went and did a 2 year deal with Charter. It really pained me to do it, but I now have YES, SNY and NESN, plus they have Howard TV On Demand, so I guess it's going to be goodbye to dish. I wonder if they'll do anything when I call to cancel.

I have to admit, the extra money I've been paying for the priviledge of using my "owned" DVRs over the last year had really gotten me annoyed, so the SNY deal is just the straw that pushed me over.

I will miss the DVRs, though. The cable DVR is a POS compared to the 922 and 722.

In my opinion part of the reason DN has given up on the NY Marketnis that there are 3 or 4 very expensive RSNs they would have to provide to satisfy all of their subs, sifnificantly reducing their margin per NY sub. In most areas of the country they only need to provide 1 or 2 RSNs at the most. Thus, by not offering any RSNs in NY while charging us the same money as everyone else for service increases their margins significantly and offer me less value for the same dollars (I know.....duh.). I tried this argument with a DN Customer retention CSR and she wasnt buying it.

One potential solution (one that would be immediately rejected by the RSNs) would be to allow NY subs to choose their preferred RSN in this market they were all available. I know...im in a delusional al-a-carte kind of mood...........OR.....get the leagues/teams to drop their antiquated blackout rules and let us subscribe to NHLCI or other similar packages without restrictions.

Having no cable or broadband Internet available or LOS to DirecTV sats....one with no other options for getting Sabres games on TV can only dream.

Dish doesn't have much to lose in the market. DirecTV does because of YES, Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket. That's why DirecTV and SNY are still talking.

Dish doesn't have much to lose in the market. DirecTV does because of YES, Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket. That's why DirecTV and SNY are still talking.

I guess that is why SNY is only running commercials telling people to drop DISH because they won't come to an agreement, instead of running commercials saying drop DISH and Direct. I wonder if that will change or if they even have a deadline for Direct to pay up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)