So did you order a new iPhone?

Well, I finally got my new iPhone 5s activated and the number ported over from AT&T to VirginMobileUSA. I don't know what will be nicer, having unlimited texts or unlimited data.

I was always a bit of a grouch when I received texts from people since I wasn't about to pay AT&T $20/mo for unlimited texts on my old account. I figured I'd have to text an awful lot at $.20 a text to reach $20, but that didn't mean I was happy about it.

Now, I see AT&T is doing away with the individual plans in favor for the shared plans. I would have been grandfathered, but I can't see why AT&T doesn't go after the Walmart/Ting/VirginMobile/Boost/Cricket crowd with a competitive offering. I was paying over $45/mo for 250 minutes, 200 MB of Data, and no texts. With VirginMobileUSA, I'm paying $30/mo for 300 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited* data. (*unlimited within reasonable boundaries. I can't set up a hot spot and serve torrents. ;))

Well, I finally got my new iPhone 5s activated and the number ported over from AT&T to VirginMobileUSA. I don't know what will be nicer, having unlimited texts or unlimited data.

I was always a bit of a grouch when I received texts from people since I wasn't about to pay AT&T $20/mo for unlimited texts on my old account. I figured I'd have to text an awful lot at $.20 a text to reach $20, but that didn't mean I was happy about it.

Now, I see AT&T is doing away with the individual plans in favor for the shared plans. I would have been grandfathered, but I can't see why AT&T doesn't go after the Walmart/Ting/VirginMobile/Boost/Cricket crowd with a competitive offering. I was paying over $45/mo for 250 minutes, 200 MB of Data, and no texts. With VirginMobileUSA, I'm paying $30/mo for 300 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited* data. (*unlimited within reasonable boundaries. I can't set up a hot spot and serve torrents. ;))

So I guess I can randomly text you now. :)

Now I know what my coworker was talking about with his Sprint S-II at work. My 5s was down to 25% by the time I got home because my workplace is not Sprint 3G or LTE, but shows as "1x", whatever that is. My guess is the cellular radios are working overtime to find a 3G or LTE signal. But, it is a new device under iOS 7 and it may take a week or so before it "learns" my routine.

I was impressed listening to iTunes Radio on the drive in to work. Excellent streaming quality! Checking when I got to work twenty five minutes later, I had used up over 35 MB of data. Amazing how good it sounded for a little over 1 megabyte per minute.

My 32 GB iPhone was limiting me to what I could keep on my phone. I set iTunes to include videos and iPhotos from the last year (up from the last 3 months and no videos) and I still have 20+ GB free. I thought about bringing my whole iPhoto library over, but I don't think I should try my luck by cramming 120 GB of photos into my phone, you know?

Now I know what my coworker was talking about with his Sprint S-II at work. My 5s was down to 25% by the time I got home because my workplace is not Sprint 3G or LTE, but shows as "1x", whatever that is. My guess is the cellular radios are working overtime to find a 3G or LTE signal. But, it is a new device under iOS 7 and it may take a week or so before it "learns" my routine.

I was impressed listening to iTunes Radio on the drive in to work. Excellent streaming quality! Checking when I got to work twenty five minutes later, I had used up over 35 MB of data. Amazing how good it sounded for a little over 1 megabyte per minute.

My 32 GB iPhone was limiting me to what I could keep on my phone. I set iTunes to include videos and iPhotos from the last year (up from the last 3 months and no videos) and I still have 20+ GB free. I thought about bringing my whole iPhoto library over, but I don't think I should try my luck by cramming 120 GB of photos into my phone, you know?

When I was on vacation on the gulf coast this summer, there was virtually no LTE except on the beach itself. And often the 3G would drop to 1X - old flip phone data speeds. And the batteries in ALL three of our iPhones (5, 4s, 4s) suffered terribly. It was very frustrating.

I am quite happy, almost 2 weeks in, with my 5s. Good battery life. The fingerprint id has become second nature, and the camera works very well.

The lifeforce case I picked covers the thumb, but when setting up it wouldn't read my thumb so I set a pass code (first phone I've done that with) ... I thought I could enter my contacts manually, but haven't figured it out yet and am ready for bed so...

I had an interesting observation today. Even though the VirginMobileUSA website shows my immediate area as Strong to Excellent LTE coverage, my iPhone 5s would only indicate 3G. As I mentioned earlier, at work it drops to 1x, even though the LTE map shows it to be in a "Strong" region.

I shot the VirginMobileUSA Support Team an e-mail asking why I'm not seeing LTE coverage and they had me reset the cellular network settings on my phone. I did that by calling a "hash-hash" number they provided and it appears to have worked. However, the LTE tower seems to be further away than the nearest 3G tower, so I get one dot LTE or three dots 3G at home.

I'll need to see what happens tomorrow.

The lifeforce case I picked covers the thumb, but when setting up it wouldn't read my thumb so I set a pass code (first phone I've done that with) ... I thought I could enter my contacts manually, but haven't figured it out yet and am ready for bed so...

Well that sucks, but I can see why you'd want a heavy duty case.

My kid opted for an Otterbox Commuter for his 5, and that doesn't include the same screen protector he has used. We bought a Zagg Invisible Shield for $8 from Amazon, and while we had a few tough moments installing it (almost ruined the darn thing) we got it on. For me, I am fine without a screen protector, but for him, no way!!! :)

I upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s mainly because the 16gb couldn't hold all of my music. So every few days I'd have to sync and pick what music I wanted to play at the gym. So I upgraded to a 32gb. Still have over 8gb free. I gave my wife the 5. (Besides I can't let my wife have the newer phone then me )

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hey I have 1 contact in... my Brother texted me while I was at work, now I know how to enter new, just need to try BUMP to get all from my droid...

Are you droid contacts sync with Google Contacts? If so, iOS can sync with your Google Contacts. When I was using my iPhone, all my contacts, calender, and mails are from Google. When I switched to the Galaxy Note II, I didn't have to change anything..

Are you droid contacts sync with Google Contacts? If so, iOS can sync with your Google Contacts. When I was using my iPhone, all my contacts, calender, and mails are from Google. When I switched to the Galaxy Note II, I didn't have to change anything..

And for anything you need to enter manually, just go to your laptop, go to www.icloud.com and log-in with your Apple ID, and you can add/edit contacts with a real keyboard.

Then using the iCloud web tool would be easier. :)
Having the time to do that is the thing, I won't when I get home tonight and will be loading up in the morning and camping/hunting for the next week... I'll end up adding the most important contacts by hand as I'll take my droid to use for an alarm at night when I have time up there...

The battery saga continues. I now think my problem is our office building. Shortly after the merger, the building was re-skinned with foam-filled steel panels and thanks to the Faraday effect, totally isolated everyone using a mobile phone from their carrier. To counteract this, we installed a number of cellular repeaters. The problem is the frequencies are geared toward AT&T and Verizon, not Sprint or T-Mobile.

Today as I was traveling to work, I went from LTE to 3G and back to LTE. As soon as I got to work and walked into the building, wham! 1x… As an experiment today, I tried turning off the cellular data to see if that helped. Nope! I think the phone is trying to stay connected to the Sprint voice network through the walls and is burning through the battery regardless of the data setting.

As soon as I walked out the door, I looked and saw LTE. It's available, I just need to figure out how to get it through the walls.

Last edited:
The battery saga continues. I now think my problem is our office building. Shortly after the merger, the building was re-skinned with foam-filled steel panels and thanks to the Faraday effect, totally isolated everyone using a mobile phone from their carrier. To counteract this, we installed a number of cellular repeaters. The problem is the frequencies are geared toward AT&T and Verizon, not Sprint or T-Mobile.

Today as I was traveling to work, I went from LTE to 3G and back to LTE. As soon as I got to work and walked into the building, wham! 1x… As an experiment today, I tried turning off the cellular data to see if that helped. Nope! I think the phone is trying to stay connected to the Sprint voice network through the walls and is burning through the battery regardless of the data setting.

As soon as I walked out the door, I looked and saw LTE. It's available, I just need to figure out how to get it through the walls.

Wow, that is frustrating.

I upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s mainly because the 16gb couldn't hold all of my music. So every few days I'd have to sync and pick what music I wanted to play at the gym. So I upgraded to a 32gb. Still have over 8gb free. I gave my wife the 5. (Besides I can't let my wife have the newer phone then me dde09) Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You should use iTunes Match.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/