So folks....Vista does not SUCK. Mickysoft, Hollywood & DRM

Many folks who have purchased a Vista OS machine are "upgrading":):) to XP.

I've had Vista for about a month and I like it. I know I got it as many of the bugs were already worked out, but so far, it's been compatible with everything I had on XP.

Keep in mind the majority of computer users DO NOT really understand the inner workings of most of the software they use, including the OS. They just want to do what they do and have it work.

Also keep in mind that the aggregate of these users are the CUSTOMERS that really pay the bills at MS - not the geeks that do happen to know how to change an XP or Vista tire. :)

Very true but yet again anything new you have to learn how to use it rather its Vista or the new Blu-Ray player you buy so forth. So this is nothing new it's a change just like with anything and folks will get the hang of it.. :)

Very true but yet again anything new you have to learn how to use it rather its Vista or the new Blu-Ray player you buy so forth. So this is nothing new it's a change just like with anything and folks will get the hang of it.. :)

I'm an "average" computer user. I'm clueless about operating systems and I compare it to my home air conditioning. I know how to turn it on/off and up/down but no idea how it really works.

I have found some features on Vista that I like. Again, I got it a month ago rather when it first came out and that makes a big difference.

I'm on my first machine with Vista 64 bit OS. Takes a little nit of getting used to but so far, I like it. It is working fine except for a few hang ups where everything just froze and I needed to power down and back up. I knew I was in trouble when the keyboard nor mouse would respond. That happened twice here but I will admit my system is running two keyboards and two mice.

Anyway, it is blazingly fast and works very well as a video editing platform running Vegas and Adobe CS3 Production suite. Q9300 with 8Gb Ram and raid hard drives dual BluRay burners.

Although possibly not your intent, your post sure makes it look like the "dumber" statement you're responding to is mine.....
Sorry. Wasn't my intention. My post had to do with the blogger...
You may be of the opinion that MS is above exploiting it's users when it flashes a DRM compliance carrot at Hollywood and you may be right. Personally I'm skeptical but that's only an opinion. I simply posted it so people could read it and form their own "dumb" opinion.
The main point is: if you want to use Vista as XP - you can! This is what MS says and the smartest MS haters can't prove them wrong.
DRM and whatnot is an option available in Vista. And nobody cares about it.

It is easy to imagine that something down the road will be playable only under Vista (DRM).
But what is playable today without it, always will be. No ifs or buts.

Diogen.

type

What happens when you type "cmd" in the search bar of the Start Button?

Problem solved and so simple it almost ranks up there with trying to find the glasses your wearing :D:up

Honestly I had no idea that it would come up that way, I never bought any of the vista for dummies books so it makes me wonder how many other people have struggled with this same issue.

That is true and I agree to a point but "user friendly" is a big factor today. Computers really hit mainstream America by storm these last few years and are now pretty much a necessity. Reliability, ease of use and minimal aggravation are going to be more influential than ever..........IMHO:)

Sorry. Wasn't my intention. My post had to do with the blogger...
my apology then.:)
diogen said:
<snip>.....DRM and whatnot is an option available in Vista. And nobody cares about it.
Oh, so users can opt out of the DRM restrictions with Vista? That's cool, I wasn't aware of that. I wonder how many users will tell MS it's ok.:)

Nobody cares because it hasn't really slapped them in the face yet. It's only just recently shown up in a limited form but people will start experiencing it more and more but by then it's too late because it's already built into the hardware and the big $$ of Hollywood will finally get the control they've wanted since the first VCR was sold.

diogen said:
It is easy to imagine that something down the road will be playable only under Vista (DRM).
But what is playable today without it, always will be. No ifs or buts.

Diogen.

And you know the rap as well as I - the industry has already built forced obsolescence into hardware via their media. Hey 8-Tracks may still play today but the only available media is what you might find at a yard sale.:D

Oh, so users can opt out of the DRM restrictions with Vista?
No they can't.
If certain audio/video file uses it - no way around but obey.
With very few exceptions any audio/video file today can be ripped to the PC without DRM (legal or not). That will - forever! - leave this files DRM free, Vista or not.
It's only just recently shown up in a limited form but people will start experiencing it more and more but by then it's too late because it's already built into the hardware and the big $$ of Hollywood will finally get the control they've wanted since the first VCR was sold.
So, don't buy DRM-ed media. What's Vista got to do with it?
And you know the rap as well as I - the industry has already built forced obsolescence into hardware via their media. Hey 8-Tracks may still play today but the only available media is what you might find at a yard sale.:D
I think by the time today's hidef media is killed I'll have enough on my servers to take care of 90% of my needs going forward.
You are not saying the studios would just abandon DRM if Microsoft wouldn't use it, do you?

BTW, congrats to your milestone of 3000 posts!

Diogen.

What I want to know is how can I reboot a machine and come up to a dos prompt so I can do a total wipe of the HDD and write 0's to it.

Have we heard the END of Microsoft and the beginning of the Mac Era?

I dont think so.. I think Microsoft is fine and will have new and better things in the future. Also Mac I think is still doing well and they can do more to fit into the PC side of things to get more into that market.

We just got my son a new laptop and it had Vista preinstalled, so it is my first exposure to it.....

I don't like the "ribbon". Change for changes sake doesn't do it for me when I can't find what I'm looking for.....

Other than that, things were fairly smooth as I unloaded the crapware that Gateway had put on it, added some antivirus software, and tweaked a couple of things....

Setup went smooth, as it found my router easily enough and installed the settings for our wireless network printer without a hitch.

Not as bad as I was expecting though....

We just got my son a new laptop and it had Vista preinstalled, so it is my first exposure to it.....

I don't like the "ribbon". Change for changes sake doesn't do it for me when I can't find what I'm looking for.....

The ribbon is a feature of Office 2007 not Vista.... two separate products

Personally I have to say after using Vista for about 15 months I would not go back to XP. My wife has a laptop running XP and I much prefer Vista's interface now I have been working with it for a while. I have three machines running Vista and have had little to no problems with them including x64 version

Yeah things seem to be more stable now than when it first came out but it's this way when XP first came out as well..

No they can't.
If certain audio/video file uses it - no way around but obey.
With very few exceptions any audio/video file today can be ripped to the PC without DRM (legal or not). That will - forever! - leave this files DRM free, Vista or not.
I realize that and except for home use copies, that's basically pirating, which IS something producers should be allowed to restrict. I don't believe DRM is so much about pirating as it is a way to eventually gain enough control on their media that they'll be able to receive residues when you pass by it on the shelf.:)
diogen said:
So, don't buy DRM-ed media. What's Vista got to do with it?
It's not just Vista (or MS for that matter) but this article happened to be about it and they're one more big media provider that's caving in to the whole DRM agenda.

I realize it's nowhere near as significant now as it's going to be but it's not hard to see the pieces falling in place. I predict that in a couple of years we'll have the best quality media ever dreamed of available BUT (baring illegal copying) we're going to pay something to somebody each and every time we want to look at it. Commercial stuff probably not but the days of archiving HDDs full of recent HD movies is going to end if Hollywood gets it's way.

diogen said:
I think by the time today's hidef media is killed I'll have enough on my servers to take care of 90% of my needs going forward.
Ah but there's always the new stuff. I bet there are not too many that had shelves of VHS movies that were content with them. Most have probably already replaced them with DVD copies, just like they'll want to now replace them with HD copies or maybe even have a giant server in their basement with hundreds of 1080 24p copies.:)

diogen said:
You are not saying the studios would just abandon DRM if Microsoft wouldn't use it, do you?
Probably not but if MS said no and major cable companies and satellite providers said no, the studios would sure have something to think about.

diogen said:
BTW, congrats to your milestone of 3000 posts!
Thanks.

I agree, studios want to make all media pay-per-view/listen. And eventually I think they will get there. And as long as it is reasonably priced - I don't mind.
$1 for a hidef movie of BD quality would be fine with me. Gotten over the internet. I put no sentimental (or any other) value on the physical disc with its cover art, etc.

RE: Audio/Video ripping.
I did mean ripping discs you own (although I'm guilty of crossing the line from time to time). I don't care how the MPAA/RIAA and other Ass. of America call it.
I play my media DRM-free from hard drives. And pray the US doesn't "aquire" Canada...:)

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)