So good so far

hazmat626

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Lake Jackson, Texas
My 2/H 2/J install was 3/24. As of now I haven't experienced any problems at all, and am extremely happy with the system. I signed up for the upgrade on the first day, and was really excited. Then I started reading all of the horror stories and thought do I really want to do this. Well I decided to go for it, and like I said... no problems yet. What really tops it off is my Wife really likes it. And that's a big deal!

Just wondering, why would you go with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys instead of 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys? What's the benefit? Isn't is more expensive and way more complicated of an install?

Just wondering, why would you go with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys instead of 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys? What's the benefit? Isn't is more expensive and way more complicated of an install?

It is more expensive upfront (monthly fees are the same) but the install is not more complicated. Having 2 Hoppers gives the system 6 tuners instead of 3.

I thought the Hopper could record 2 tuners, plus the 4 network channels, making 6 simultaneous recordings possible. Is that right? If you have 2 Hoppers, can you view the second Hoppers recordings on every TV? The only trick being that you have to keep track of which Hopper you create timers on? Thanks.

I thought the Hopper could record 2 tuners, plus the 4 network channels, making 6 simultaneous recordings possible. Is that right? If you have 2 Hoppers, can you view the second Hoppers recordings on every TV? The only trick being that you have to keep track of which Hopper you create timers on? Thanks.

That is only during hours when PrimeTime Anytime is active. Currently 2 Hoppers act as 2 separate 3 tuner networks, but full integration of 2 Hoppers is expected to be announced soon, which will make the system act as one huge DVR with 6 tuners.

I went with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and am sooo happy I did. I love my setup. Three tuners would have worked ok but having 6 makes it so much better. I'm recording more shows just because I know I won't have any conflicts with timers.

Thanks for the info. One more question, and I know it's probably in the wrong place. I'm not sure if anyone has gotten their first Dish bill yet since this is all so new, but how much more are the monthly bills? It looks like If you want 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys you have to pay $7 for each Joey, plus the $4 whole home dvr fee. That's an extra $25/month compared to what I'm paying now. I have a 722 and a 222K with four tvs.

Thanks for the info. One more question, and I know it's probably in the wrong place. I'm not sure if anyone has gotten their first Dish bill yet since this is all so new, but how much more are the monthly bills? It looks like If you want 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys you have to pay $7 for each Joey, plus the $4 whole home dvr fee. That's an extra $25/month compared to what I'm paying now. I have a 722 and a 222K with four tvs.

Wouldn't it be $11 more? The 222K is $14 per month.

You are probably right. Right now my bill is $59.99 for Top 200, $14 for HD Duo Receiver (VIP 722), $6 DVR Service, $6 Protection Plan, $0 HD Free for Life (not sure why that's even on the bill).

As isaacmorseMI stated it would only be $11 more per month. You'd be better of with 2 Hoppers and 2 joey's than the single Hopper and 3 joey's. Other than the extra $99 fee for the 2nd Hopper the monthly fees are the same and you gain 3 more tuners and twice the recording space. Plus redundancy in case 1 of your Hoppers dies.

That sounds great. I'm a little worried about my current cabling setup. I have two tv's that are connected to my two receivers with RG6 cabling, but my other two tv's are connected with RG59. I hope that crappy cable can support HD. There's just too much drywall in the way to change it out.

You guys are so helpful. Thank you. Do you think you could give me the gist of what I need for internet connectivity? Currently I have a wireless N USB adapter connected to my VIP722 (along with a Sling Adapter). My cable modem is nowhere near my tvs. Is there a new type of HomePlug adapter for the Hoppers, or will wifi work?

You mean each receiver needs its own network connection? What for? Don't they talk to each other over the coax?

when the hopper integration comes, all may work with one network connection. Currently DLNA needs the Joey to have WiFi or Ethernet, or the HIC.

I had 3 of the WiFi USB sticks, so I used them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)