So Hawaii gets screwed again

Dune

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Kailua Kona, HI
Throughout all the talk of the new HD channels, I was hoping some of them would be available to us orphan Dishnetwork subscribers in Hawaii.

As usual I was disappointed. I'm sure I will get home and find I've been "Turbo charged" but it is of no use if I can't receive and new channels. We can't even get SciFi or USA without changing our packages and adding about $15 a month.

As soon as Directv gets the new D-11 operational, I understand I can use 1 large dish instead of 2 and receive ALL of their HD programming. If that ends up being the case then Dishnetwork will be losing a high end long time subscriber and I'm sure others will follow.

I hate to lose my 622, but what's a guy to do.

Sorry for the rant but enough is enough .

Dune

Not trying to make light of the situation. But if Directv HAS a bird covering Hawaii with all the HD channels, it might not be a bad move. I saw the HR20 (I think that's its name) at CES, and it is not a bad DVR.

We are probably going netflix and dropping down from aep soon. We will probably jump ship altogether when our lnb's or sw64 go out if there is no improvement. We are already starting to get fall colors in Alaska, its almost tv watching season.

What happened to all of those rumors about big news for Hawaii this year? As a newcomer to the islands, I would really like to know when (if ever) anything is going to improve here so I make my purchase decision.

Heres the deal:

I'll trade you my home in Ohio with all of my HD channels for your house on the island. Deal? :)

I'll trade my 622 for a house in Kona. :hungry:

Anyway, I think Echostar 11 is supposed to provide better Hawaii coverage. Give it another month to see this there is improvement when they make the switch.

Heres the deal:

I'll trade you my home in Ohio with all of my HD channels for your house on the island. Deal? :)

Well you could have my house here (or one just like it) if you're willing to work 3 jobs to pay the mortgage for it like me. By the time I get home at night, there's not much of an island to enjoy...just my TV.

Now weekends are another story.... :D

Throughout all the talk of the new HD channels, I was hoping some of them would be available to us orphan Dishnetwork subscribers in Hawaii.

As usual I was disappointed. I'm sure I will get home and find I've been "Turbo charged" but it is of no use if I can't receive and new channels. We can't even get SciFi or USA without changing our packages and adding about $15 a month.

As soon as Directv gets the new D-11 operational, I understand I can use 1 large dish instead of 2 and receive ALL of their HD programming. If that ends up being the case then Dishnetwork will be losing a high end long time subscriber and I'm sure others will follow.

I hate to lose my 622, but what's a guy to do.

Sorry for the rant but enough is enough .

Dune

Actualy in the AK/HI/PR HDPak for 9.99 you can get the HD Channles offered off Sat 110 these include SCI FI and USA. MPEG 4 is required. If you have the legacy pack call in for an upgrade and after a transfer to ERT they will mail you the MPEG 4 receiver FREE. Then remove the legacy pack add the HDPAK for AK/HI/PR and your in business.

Actualy in the AK/HI/PR HDPak for 9.99 you can get the HD Channles offered off Sat 110 these include SCI FI and USA. MPEG 4 is required. If you have the legacy pack call in for an upgrade and after a transfer to ERT they will mail you the MPEG 4 receiver FREE. Then remove the legacy pack add the HDPAK for AK/HI/PR and your in business.

You can get the other channels on 110, but they will not activate scifi or usa for ak/hi. These channels show up in red in our guide and no amount of calling or emailing ceo@ will change that. They will also not mail you a receiver for free. You must purchase all your equipment from a local retailer or from someone like Claude. There are no leases in ak/hi.

Perhaps we should change the title of this thread to Hawai'i and Alaska get screwed again. I'm with Dune on this. We've been paying our bill for almost two years now (nearly $100.00/month), and we are still second-class citizens. While everyone in the Lower 48 is getting all of the new HD, those of us in HI/AK are still paying $9.99 for eight channels. By the way, everyone in the Lower 48 should thank those of us getting the AK/HI HD pack, because we're subsidizing everyone else's HD. We're paying $1.25 per channel, while everyone else is getting their HD channels for about 10-15 cents per. And, like Chena says, no amount of calling will change the fact that Charlie is screwing us. When our two-year commitment is up, it's going to be time to look at repointing the dishes...

WAAAHHHHHHH!!! your in paradise man!! just kidding. but think about it. who would be worse off for this, you are a guy in......?? topeka......no disrespect to topeka.

I really cant feel sorry for people in Alaska and Hawaii. Sorry.

Well I will not say that but delivering anything to Alaska and Hawaii takes extra resources and effort for a much smaller customer base, of course the cost will be higher and selections will be less. At one time they did not even have any service reaching there. Also the dishes to receive the signals are bigger and also cost more. I suppose the providers can make special ultra powerful satellite for just you guys so you can use an 18" dish for convenience too.

Some international channels cost $15 for just one channel so some folks can watch their native news and shows. What are you going to do?

Also the dishes to receive the signals are bigger and also cost more.

We pay for all equipment and installation, so yes we are well aware the larger dishes cost more. But, what costs are there for dish to activate scifi and usa for us? We receive the channels, the screen says call to subscribe, but it is impossible to subscribe because they will not activate them even though we subscribe to the simulcast sd. We are still waiting on the older channels.

In Puerto Rico doesn't work that way,there's no DHA plans and certainly any of the current HD packs applies in the Island(for the moment). HI and AK have a special package that we can't sell here.The only way HD costumers can get any Vip's receivers (MPEG4) is only paying FULL PRICE of the unit.
Oh BTW even though USA and SIFI are on sat 110 our costumers aren't allowed to have them,Don't ask me why because even Dish engineers don't know either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)