So how do I install these things?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

livin

Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Im a new subcontractor in Montana for Directv with absolutley 0 expierience in Satellite installations. I have a lot of experience in broadband installs, which people tell me are harder to install. I found a manuel for normal installs and it looks like any monkey can do it. However, my first assigned install is for 3 recievers and im not entirely sure how to do a 3 reciever install. Can anyone tell me a detailed site to go to for installation instructions? If there are any other installers out there can you tell me how to do a 3 reciever install? Also does anyone have any tips for installing? What are some common problems that you run into? Any information on installing would be greatly appreciated!

tip #1 Get training.
tip #2 Sub-contract for a company that would require you to know what you are doing before going out on installs solo.
tip #3 Don't assume you can do something just because you can do something harder. Just because a surgeon can transplant a heart doesn't mean he can install a satellite system.

livin said:
Im a new subcontractor in Montana for Directv with absolutley 0 expierience in Satellite installations. I have a lot of experience in broadband installs, which people tell me are harder to install. I found a manuel for normal installs and it looks like any monkey can do it. However, my first assigned install is for 3 recievers and im not entirely sure how to do a 3 reciever install. Can anyone tell me a detailed site to go to for installation instructions? If there are any other installers out there can you tell me how to do a 3 reciever install? Also does anyone have any tips for installing? What are some common problems that you run into? Any information on installing would be greatly appreciated!

Ahhh ,its easy.
Any monkey can do it.

Don't listen to deezoneezo, why waste all that time and money on training?? If I was you I would just run down to the local zoo and get a monkey, let the monkey do the install and you get paid. And on top of that, I would make sure the monkey is certified as my understanding is that DirecTV requires an SBCA certification. One other tip... try to get three monkeys they'll do more work for you and hopefully the can type to tell you how to install a three reciever system. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Is it difficult to install them?

As I said before I don't really know what im doing. I can return the equipment I bought any time within 30 days. I did get a manuel online on how to do it and it doesn't seem too difficult. As far as the equipment goes I have aquired a large list of equipment that i got from the people who hired me. It includes a number of things like satellite finders, rg-6 coax, diplexers, drills, drill bits, ladders, compass, 2 way and 4 way splitters, single and dual lnb's, and many more things, half of which i dont even know what are. I am trying to locate contractors in the area even as we speak so i can ride along on a few for more hands on experience. The problem with that is no one has gotten back a hold of me about it and my first two installs are this upcoming Wednesday. Again any tips or online sites i can visit to learn how to do this correctly would be greatly appreciated. Sarcasm and discouragment is not. Can someone at least tell me how to hook up 3 recievers with one dish?

By using either the built in multi-switch on a PhaseIII or with an external one with a standard dish.

I am really starting to agree with the others, you are either here pulling our legs, or you have ZERO clue as you say, and if you don't have any knowledge of these basics, like hooking up a simple 3 room setup, then you are in way over your head and need to send the stuff back until you get some basics under your belt, because this really is easy enough to learn how to do from the manuals included, but I wouldn't show up at a job that blind if you know what I mean.

This is what direc gets for the money the hsp's are paying.

I hope they are happy with the end results, by the time this guy figures out he can't make any money at the rates they pay he'll quit and the cycle will start all over.

Sorry if no one has helped here but we have been forced to seek work in other fields by these poverty level rates .The bitch is I really liked doing this work I've been in it since the primestar days when all systems were installed correctly because the techs had to be trained then install with an experianced installer before they were allowed to go one their own.

Livin....How did you get started in the broadband field??? I would try that approach to learn the DBS installs.

livin said:
As I said before I don't really know what im doing. I can return the equipment I bought any time within 30 days. I did get a manuel online on how to do it and it doesn't seem too difficult. As far as the equipment goes I have aquired a large list of equipment that i got from the people who hired me. It includes a number of things like satellite finders, rg-6 coax, diplexers, drills, drill bits, ladders, compass, 2 way and 4 way splitters, single and dual lnb's, and many more things, half of which i dont even know what are. I am trying to locate contractors in the area even as we speak so i can ride along on a few for more hands on experience. The problem with that is no one has gotten back a hold of me about it and my first two installs are this upcoming Wednesday. Again any tips or online sites i can visit to learn how to do this correctly would be greatly appreciated. Sarcasm and discouragment is not. Can someone at least tell me how to hook up 3 recievers with one dish?

your equipment that you are hooking up are they regualar receiver or are they tivo's or Hd ?

tyork

dishjockey said:
This is what direc gets for the money the hsp's are paying.

I hope they are happy with the end results, by the time this guy figures out he can't make any money at the rates they pay he'll quit and the cycle will start all over.

Sorry if no one has helped here but we have been forced to seek work in other fields by these poverty level rates .The bitch is I really liked doing this work I've been in it since the primestar days when all systems were installed correctly because the techs had to be trained then install with an experianced installer before they were allowed to go one their own.

I don't know what the HSP pay rate is in your area but I can assure not all HSP's are the same. The one I work for pays $60 for a single outlet install and $25 for each additional outlet. Service calls (soon to be done by dedicated salaried service techs, in company trucks) pay $25. Upgrades $40 first outlet, $25 each additional. Mover's connects pay the same as a base install. It's not bad and it's easy to make $1000+ a week. We have the expense of our vehicles and basic hand tools. Veteran techs, like myself had to buy our meters, specialty tools and extension ladders when first hired, but they were payroll deducted, now the newer techs are issued this equipment (but they are also paid slightly less, -$5 or -$10 per install) for the first six months. The company I work for does not make us pay for small parts or wire, all that is provided. Our company provides medical insurance at no cost for the employee (not the best coverage in the world, better can be had other places, but it's free and in the long run, what they pay versus what you'd have to pay for better coverage, things equal out).

I average about $25-30 per hour as an HSP tech, not bad in my book. I had to do a week of ride-a-longs before being put out on my own. I had done a few installs (for self, friends and family) in recent years, prior to taking the installer's job, so I wasn't what you'd call a newbie, more like a rookie. I would not reccomend that anyone just rush out and attempt a professional installation without any proper training. I am SBCA certified, all of our techs are as well. We put our techs through at least one week of classroom training prior to their doing some ride-a-longs before turning them loose on a customer's house. Any company that just hires some kid off the street, dumps a load of old tools & test equipment in the back of his beat up truck and sends him on his merry way needs to be run out of business.

livin said:

Put down the tools and back away from the Directv equipment! You need to seek out proper training before attempting to do professional installations. Atleast try installing a system at your own home first (put it up and take it down two or three times to get the hang of it, anything helps) before going out and tackling it at a customer's home. Would you want some "first timer" coming to work on your house? No, you wouldn't, so get some training. Asking question here is fine, but don't rush out and try doing and install based on the info gotten here. The equipment comes with basic installation instructions, but the customer's home on the day of the install is not the proper place or time to first pull them out and read them.

You can got to this website for some info on training (has links and 800# for info on classes, dates, times & locations). http://www.sbcatest.com/level12proginfo.htm

Good luck and don't try installing until you get some proper training. In the long run training will get you more work & money. Rushing into an install only gets you in trouble.

I appreciate the advise.

Im not trying to offend any of the pros out there. I was just trying to be funny. My apologies. The people who contacted me about the job pretty much just threw me into the field on a whim. They knew i had no expierience with directtv dishes and they also knew i am not SBCA certified. They still didn't think i would have much trouble with it. I suppose the recruiters make money by recruiting new people and would not much care how expierienced I am? If I cancel my installs on Wednesday they will only charge me more money, so I feel I must at least complete those two before taking classes. Right now my bosses are only giving me regular dishes to install, at least. I spent about 400 dollars on the equipment. Everything else I had to start with. My jobs pay 60 dollars for one dish and 15 for each additional reciever. So if I can complete the two on Wednesday without screwing anything up, ive at least made 150 of my 400 back. So based on my startup cost and my pay rate, would you say it will even be worth it to continue working for installpro? I got started with broadband by answering an ad in the paper. They provided all the tools and vehicle for me when I started, however I got VERY little training from them as well (they brought me on one install ). Not to mention they only paid $8/hour and the equipment provided was in very poor shape. Anyway thanks a lot for all your help. I will have to think on this a little more. I just hope my first two aren't a complete disaster!

One more thing for uboat...

Thanks a lot for sending me that site on SBCA training! Billings is only 2 hours from here and I can definetly afford to take those classes. My question to you is whether or not I can get SBCA certified by taking the classes and, if so, how many do I need to take?

livin said:
Thanks a lot for sending me that site on SBCA training! Billings is only 2 hours from here and I can definetly afford to take those classes. My question to you is whether or not I can get SBCA certified by taking the classes and, if so, how many do I need to take?

You just need the one class (did my class in one day, but have heard of others that are stretched out over a three day period). The one thing to do is go to that websites store and get a book that covers all the material you will go over in class (the more you can read up about it before the class the faster the class will go for you). The books are $49.00. You need the book that covers Residential Satellite Installation (certification level 1 & 2).

If you insist on doing those installs on Wednesday and trying to wing your way through it, just think how you would want it to look mounted to your house. Try and keep everything nice and neat. Give yourself a little extra wire (make small loops in the wire on each side of a connection so you have what is known as a drip or service loop). Do some research for your area so you know the compass direction and elevation the dish needs to be set at prior to going out to the customer's house. This way you can survey the site to know where best to mount the dish for good signal strength (for instance in my area the 101 sat, which is picked up by the round single LNB dish and carries D*'s primary programing is located at about 205 degrees on the compass with an elevations of about 46 degrees, I have a sighting tool called an inclinometer which I can use to see that point in the sky and tell if there will be any obstructions in the path of the signal).

Here are a few more sites which may yeild some helpful information. http://www.basicinstall.com/ tells you what most companies consider to be covered by a basic install.
http://www.rca.com/directv/zip_code_selection with this site you can enter the customer's zip code and it will tell you what compass direction and elevation you need to pre-set the dish for, based on dish type.
http://prosatellitesupply.com/DOWNLOADS.htm tons of useful & downloadable info, plus they sell supplies & tools to make the job easier.

Nevermind Uboat

Im all set up with a local company to do practice installs voluntarily next week, plus im lined up to get SBCA certified this Friday. I agree Global Net really does need to be run out of business. They even have their own "global net hate site!" Thanks a lot for all your help people. I appreciate it. Wish me luck!

Livin, at 60/15 I can only say good luck. Do yourself a very big favor, keep track of what everything costs. I mean, gas, tools supplies... everything. Then also keep a log of how many hours you work each day.... evry hour.. driving.. paperwork.. printing work orders ALL of it. Then after about two or three weeks figure out what you are REALLY making. At 60/15... I'm guessing you won't be very happy. Best of luck.

Surge Suppressors

My second install on Wednesday is in an apt complex and the info you sent me says you need a surge suppresor for such an install. Is it at all possible to ground a unit to an apt complex? If not, where can I get the proper surge suppresor and how much will it run me approximatley? I did a site survey and didn't see anything i could really ground to. What kind of things would a person normally ground to? Im assuming cold water pipes and gutters are ok. Is this correct?

Uhhhh What Size Lag Bolts Do I Need?

My origional equipment list specifies that I need 3" and 1.5" lag bolts, but it doesn't specify the width of what I need! At the moment I have 3/8 inch but im thinkin that is too big. This question only reinforces the fact that im really new in the field, but again id appreciate any help you can give.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)