So how is FIOS TV & DVR?

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
I have fios phone, and internet.

because of phone troubles and liking E I didnt get FIOS TV.

But with E gouging on fees, I am looking at options./

I am in pittsburgh.

any thoughts on this conversion?

It is really a personal preference but I made the switch from E to FIOS. The HD is excellent and the SD is pretty good as well. The DVR will take some getting used to unless you go with Tivo. My family likes the premium channels so that woks to our advantage as alot of them are in HD.

In the past year I've had Cable, E, and FIOS. FIOS is by far the best option in my area. Best picture quality and the multi-room dvr is by far the best (besides the TIVO i had about 5 years ago)

How much are Tivo DVRs? And how are the Fios DVRs?

I can only speak for the FIOS DVR....20 hours of HD recording capacity. You can use Multi Room to watch HD in another room if you have an HD box on the other end. I would prefer that you could use Multi Room from DVR to DVR so you could increase the capacity a little bit. The interface is ok but I did prefer the Dish ViP 722 interface a little bit better.

New Dvrs are going to be coming out within a couple of weeks. That is what has been reported anyway. The new Dvrs will have double the capacity, which will up the hard drive from 160 gig to 320 gig. That will really make a huge difference because right now 20 hrs of HD capacity is just too little. One thing about Fios though is that they really do work constanly on improving what customers are complaining about. They send out survey after survey to ask what needs improvement. Is everything perfect? No. But they have great quality HD and their Multi-Room DVr is a huge plus. They have worked on the guide to make it better and they have been working on streaming through the dvr so that you could stream Youtube and other internet tv to your tv. You could also update your Twitter account and Facebook. You could stream music and video through the DVR, not to mention the cool Widgets. So far Fios has been the best service I have ever had.

This is from another fourm, someone did a comparision on the price of fios hd dvr with tivo and moxi, I added in home dvr as well which is $20 per mo. You will break about even after about 3years if you go with either tivo or moxi.

VZ HD DVR VZ HM DVR TiVo HD DVR Moxi DVR
15.99 per mo. $20/mo Hardware 249 Hardware 499
Annual sub 129
3 year sub 299
Lifetime 399
Cablecard 3.99 per mo. Cablecard 3.99 per mo.

1-year 191.88 180 (3mo free)425.88 546.88
2-years 383.76 420 602.76 594.76
3-years 575.64 660 691.64 642.64
4-years 767.52 900 839.52 690.52
5-years 959.40 1140 887.40 738.40

Edit: Sorry, formatting appears to be lost when i post. I attached it in a word doc if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• DVR price comp.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Internal or external?
I did internal upgrades. why screw around with an additional power source? And another box to use energy and generate heat and noise. Upgrade the internal and then use the network to extract the programming with free tivo desktop software.:D

This is from another fourm, someone did a comparision on the price of fios hd dvr with tivo and moxi, I added in home dvr as well which is $20 per mo. You will break about even after about 3years if you go with either tivo or moxi.

VZ HD DVR VZ HM DVR TiVo HD DVR Moxi DVR
15.99 per mo. $20/mo Hardware 249 Hardware 499
Annual sub 129
3 year sub 299
Lifetime 399
Cablecard 3.99 per mo. Cablecard 3.99 per mo.

1-year 191.88 180 (3mo free)425.88 546.88
2-years 383.76 420 602.76 594.76
3-years 575.64 660 691.64 642.64
4-years 767.52 900 839.52 690.52
5-years 959.40 1140 887.40 738.40

Edit: Sorry, formatting appears to be lost when i post. I attached it in a word doc if anyone is interested.
You are comparing 2 apples (moxi and DVR) to an orange (tivo). Tivo is the only one of the three that you can extract the programming for your own use, storage, backup and etc. I love moxi and its HD guide but until it can do that its a no go for me. Its a total waste since every channel on FIOS is unencrypted and you have the opportunity to truely own all programming that you pay for with the tivo

Tough call between the TivoHD and MoxiHD. I love the TivoHD, but I am seriously considering getting a MoxiHD because of the updated interface, hardware...and I really don't have time to use the Tivo Desktop software (cool, but TV watching time is a luxury these days) or watch TV on-the-road. Anyway, my annual Tivo subscription expires on the 21st so I had better decide soon. To be honest, although I can watch streaming Netflix movies on a PS3 I'll probably stick with Tivo another year for one reason...it has OTA: a MoxiHD is useless without a cable subscription whereas the TivoHD can be used to record free broadcast HD.

Regardless, TivoHD or Moxi and FiOS TV = Good; FiOS HD DVR = Bad (well, at least slightly better than the crappy Cable DVR)

I am still confused, need to find some stores with this stuff on display that can be played with.

A old friend is still livid with TIVO he has some tech troubles that are software related:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)