So how is Sky Angel Doing?

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I really like Sky Angel. I had a lifetime subscription, and I waited about a year before subscribing to the IPTV service. Channels are between 30 to 60 seconds behind Dish Network, and occassionally I still get bufferring from my DSL connection, but it's not bad.

What I am wondering though is how many channels can Sky Angel add and at what point will they add additional channels for an additional cost. Is there a limit to how many channels the current infrastructure/equipment can handle?

Also, I'd be interested in know how Sky Angel is doing on the ROI.

Well, I can't answer any of your questions but my guess would be they are doing well since they have been adding channels, adding more VOD content, and just started the WebTV option.

I'm a recent subscriber (Faith only package) and have found the service to be solid. I do wish they had the 48 hour playback on the radio channels.

I think they need to offer more Family channels but I can't think of any that would be acceptable? Maybe the History Channel. What do you think?

I just found an article that Sky Angel could be losing channels if Discovery Communications have their way. I started another thread on the subject.

sky angel doesn't work with ATT Uverse and sky angel will not terminate the 18 month contract. I'm paying for something I'm not using!

You've got to think of bandwidth differently on an IPTV platform vs. satellite.

If Dish Network adds more channels, they need more satellite bandwidth to distribute that across the entire footprint of their signal. Satellite bandwidth is extremely expensive.

All Sky Angel needs is enough bandwidth for every subscriber, plus whatever it takes to get the channels into their distribution infrastructure. Internet bandwidth is extremely cheap if you are close enough to the backbone.

You as a subscriber are going to use the same bandwidth to pull a single stream to your box, regardless of how many channels they have available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)