So I signed up for Charter internet on phone, tech kept pushing TV service. (I like DirecTV period.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
My landlord provides the internet, but with all the sharing it slows it down, so today I signed up for Charter internet on the phone, but the guy kept pushing TV, internet, and phone bundle. I currently don't have a landline (though eventually plan to get an Ooma), and I HATE cable TV. I like my DirecTV and prefer satellite TV over cable TV, period. Someday I plan to have two providers. But that will be when I have a house, and it most certainly WILL NOT be any cable company, but a combination of DirecTV and Dish Network.

A combination of two providers? I must ask why?
Sometimes it's about preference and sometimes it's actually about price for the channel selection you get, i personally have fios Internet and dish for TV with their at200 package because having the 2 I pay about $20 less than having fios for TV and Internet service with their lowest package. I keep the fios Internet and switch between dish and directv because they are cheaper even when out of contract for TV service. but even at that as the op said he likes directv better which I can agree the user experience tends to be much better on satellite

Got it. I thought he meant having Dish and Direct at the same time. Going back and forth between them makes more sense to save money. I also have Optimum for internet and Direct for T.V. I could save money for a while just going all cable, but I have AT&T, and love their data free directv app.

Reactions: Joe891

Because I GUARANTEE you that Charter most likely has several HD channels that DirecTV does NOT carry. While I can't speak of the picture quality on his particular system, Charter's beefed-up HD lineup seems to have pretty much every HD channel currently available...wish we could get it here.
I have 3 providers here myself, on top of (2) OTA antennas (for 2 different markets) for my (2) Tivos...nice to have diversity. :)

I've been impressed with Cox. Getting advanced basic for $20 more than I was already paying for Internet was a no brainer. Took me over 15years to leave Dish, but the TiVo and Minis work great and saving $70 a month adds up plus no more additional equipment fees as all my TiVo have lifetime and have paid for themselves already. My only problem now is TiVo switching to Rovi guide data with their merger, has put me back to some of the same crappy subchannel guide problems I had with dish.

Edit. I do get tired of them trying to push phone and alarm monitoring service on me.

Reactions: Troch77
Because I GUARANTEE you that Charter most likely has several HD channels that DirecTV does NOT carry. While I can't speak of the picture quality on his particular system, Charter's beefed-up HD lineup seems to have pretty much every HD channel currently available...wish we could get it here.

I've been impressed with Cox. Getting advanced basic for $20 more than I was already paying for Internet was a no brainer. Took me over 15years to leave Dish, but the TiVo and Minis work great and saving $70 a month adds up plus no more additional equipment fees as all my TiVo have lifetime and have paid for themselves already. My only problem now is TiVo switching to Rovi guide data with their merger, has put me back to some of the same crappy subchannel guide problems I had with dish.

Edit. I do get tired of them trying to push phone and alarm monitoring service on me.

Agreed. I don't know when edisonprime last tried cable but Charter is pretty great in my area. The picture quality is noticeably better than my old Dish Hopper system and they offer a lot more HD. Every single channel I watch is available in HD. I also get HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, and NFL Redzone and my double play with internet is still less than I was paying for Dish alone.

I have had this double play for about 2.5 years now and my Roamio with lifetime and Mini have easily paid for themselves too. Do whatever makes you happy but it seems weird to "HATE" a media delivery method to me. Cable and satellite really aren't much different anymore, especially if you use Tivos or your local provider has nice, modern DVRs. The most noticeable difference for me is that I am able to get more channels for less money because cable bundling is able to provide deals that satellite cant.

With Comcast, I told them I wasn't switching to their TV. I told them up front that there is nothing they can do to make me switch to the X1 with all the fees. But I couldn't help but notice that they have packages with the broadcast TV package and HBO and Internet for the same price. They have HBO and HBO2 in HD. None of the others and many are missing. I told them that Directv has every single HBO channel in HD except HBO Family west. If they want me to bundle, I don't want the value to go down. I begged and begged and begged for an hour via chat and finally I got them to switch out HBO for their Sports Pack. Nothing in those 2 sparse packages is in HD that I don't have already in HD on Directv except HSN and a local cable news channel NECN so I just have a basic cable receiver. I used to pay them $87 for slow 25/5 and broadcast. Now I pay them $109 (for 2 years) for 50/5, broadcast, and the sports pack. I also have Military History, Pac 12, NECN SD, and a few of the Canadian channels that can be a little rough OTA sometimes. Cable doesn't carry all the OTA subchannels here, but I have an AM21 for that. There are 16 total channels on Comcast now that I don't have on Directv.

To the OP's point, I HATE HATE HATE how much slower Comcast is from like 4pm to 10pm. I can usually get 42/43 later at night and if I am home during the day. But during those hours it drops into the low 30s and even upper 20s. I never had this problem with my Internet in NC (AT&T). I watched the entire season of The Man in the High Castle 4K streaming and it only paused to buffer twice, both during episode 1 and both around 9pm on that day.

The list of what i gained, but all in SD. None of these channels are available in HD on the Comcast system, except NECN, so HD receiver not necessary.
ch 15 Public Access
ch 16 Public Access
ch 17 Public Access
ch 19 CBMT 6-1 CBC Montreal
ch 21 CTV 12-1 CFCF Montreal
ch 22 SRC 2-1 CBFT Montreal
ch 92 Public Access
ch 142 ion WPXG 21-2 Concord NH (qubo/life are available but in higher packages)
ch 181 NECN
ch 171 FCS Atlantic
ch 172 FCS Central
ch 173 FCS Pacific (although we have the live games on Directv)
ch 295 Daystar WYDN 48-1 Worcester MA
ch 341 V-Me Kids
ch 493 Military History
ch 497 Pac 12

I don't want to hear anyone whine about the current Directv interface. The cable interface hasn't changed since literally the 1990s. And with Comcast's higher quality SD, and the proper settings on the TV, scaled to 4K, it is actually not bad. I love Directv for the most part and Comcast here has very limited HD. It only costs me $20 more to have Directv than bundling with Comcast. And I feel I get $20 value doing it this way.

Last edited:
I don't want to hear anyone whine about the current Directv interface. The cable interface hasn't changed since literally the 1990s.

Untrue, you must not have seen the X1 in action, the interface is very much up to date with current technology.

Untrue, you must not have seen the X1 in action, the interface is very much up to date with current technology.

The X1 sucks. My parents have it. It looks pretty, but it is not customer friendly. There's little HD (here) and the unit is not as fast as my HR44. And when you change channels, it flashes up with the channel name. So annoying if you're switching between 2 things. When you try to input a simple channel change, it thinks it's Google and suggests 500 things when all I want to do is try to find a game in the disorganized mess that is the Comcast lineup.

Last edited:
I want both at one time (at some point when my income and housing situation is better) for a few reasons. There are channels on both that the other doesn't provide that I want. And also if there is a dispute on one provider, I can watch it on the other. Another would be one of the two providers could have the channel in HD, while the other doesn't. And finally by having both providers I'd have a lot of DVR tuners.

Agreed. I don't know when edisonprime last tried cable but Charter is pretty great in my area. The picture quality is noticeably better than my old Dish Hopper system and they offer a lot more HD. Every single channel I watch is available in HD. I also get HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, and NFL Redzone and my double play with internet is still less than I was paying for Dish alone.

I have had this double play for about 2.5 years now and my Roamio with lifetime and Mini have easily paid for themselves too. Do whatever makes you happy but it seems weird to "HATE" a media delivery method to me. Cable and satellite really aren't much different anymore, especially if you use Tivos or your local provider has nice, modern DVRs. The most noticeable difference for me is that I am able to get more channels for less money because cable bundling is able to provide deals that satellite cant.
Well, I really am not a fan of cable, period. If there was another option that wasn't just the even worse DSL in my area I'd go with it. I especially hate cable TV. Going back to the subject of internet I wish there was gig fiber-optic internet in my area (Rochester, MN), but this is the best I can do. Anyways, they're going to be here tonight at 8pm.

Well, I really am not a fan of cable, period. If there was another option that wasn't just the even worse DSL in my area I'd go with it. I especially hate cable TV. Going back to the subject of internet I wish there was gig fiber-optic internet in my area (Rochester, MN), but this is the best I can do. Anyways, they're going to be here tonight at 8pm.

Charter's Internet is not comparable to DSL. You are talking about 60Mbps cable versus around 6Mbps or lower DSL in most areas. Those slow DSL speeds aren't even classified as broadband by the government anymore (25Mbps or faster).

Obviously gigabit Internet would be better but I really doubt you are going to have anything against Charter broadband besides your hatred of the kind of wires they use to distribute it.

Charter's Internet is not comparable to DSL. You are talking about 60Mbps cable versus around 6Mbps or lower DSL in most areas. Those slow DSL speeds aren't even classified as broadband by the government anymore (25Mbps or faster).

Obviously gigabit Internet would be better but I really doubt you are going to have anything against Charter broadband besides your hatred of the kind of wires they use to distribute it.
I think you misread my post. I said that DSL was "even worse". But I'm not a fan of the cable system either. I have basically three choices, dial-up (which everybody knows is awful), DSL (which is terrible but not as bad as dial-up), and cable internet (which I'm not a very big fan but it's better than the rest), so I chose cable internet. But if gig fiber-optic internet was available I'd go with that.

I think you misread my post. I said that DSL was "even worse". But I'm not a fan of the cable system either.

I didn't misread it. My point was that Charter Internet is a massive improvement from your other option and I think you will like it despite it coming from a cable company.

My landlord provides the internet, but with all the sharing it slows it down, so today I signed up for Charter internet on the phone, but the guy kept pushing TV, internet, and phone bundle. I currently don't have a landline (though eventually plan to get an Ooma), and I HATE cable TV. I like my DirecTV and prefer satellite TV over cable TV, period. Someday I plan to have two providers. But that will be when I have a house, and it most certainly WILL NOT be any cable company, but a combination of DirecTV and Dish Network.

I have Directv and Charter phone and internet. They hit me up all the time for TV. I am very kind and they ask what channels I watch. I give them the usual channels. Then hit them with Sunday Ticket. This bring the discussion to a halt.

Reactions: Annie61 and ejb1980
I want both at one time (at some point when my income and housing situation is better) for a few reasons. There are channels on both that the other doesn't provide that I want. And also if there is a dispute on one provider, I can watch it on the other. Another would be one of the two providers could have the channel in HD, while the other doesn't. And finally by having both providers I'd have a lot of DVR tuners.

Having 2 providers would get really expensive. Wouldn't a streaming service make more sense? Hulu, sling, or D*now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)