So, I tried....

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Here's my letter to CEO@echostar.com

The crux is, I still really want TurboHD service. Are there any dealers out there that can actually help me?

Thanks,

Scott

--------------------------
To whom it may concern:

I am just writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with my attempt at obtaining new Dish Network service. On Friday, August 15, I placed an order online for new TurboHD service. I was told, online, that I would receive a confirmation email. The install appointment was set for Monday, August 18. Sunday night rolled around, and I decided that since I had not received my confirmation email, I would call. I called the 1-800-333-DISH, and spoke with a few people with extremely think accents, who had no idea who I was, or why I was calling. Finally, I was transferred back to the "Sales" department, who was more than happy to spend 30 minutes of my time signing me up for new Dish Network service.

I went through the whole process, scheduled an appointment for now Tuesday, August 19, 8a-12p. I received my confirmation email, which was entirely incorrect. The sales associate had signed me up for the wrong programming package, had not included DVR service, and indicated 12p-5p install time, which I could not accommodate. Back to the phone I go, 1-800-333-DISH. Programming is fixed, DVR service is fixed, and now my appointment, which had been promised 8a-12p on August 20, has been rescheduled for August 21, 8a-12p.

Both online, and on the phone, I was VERY clear that this was a nonpentrating 2nd floor balcony mount, and would require a tripod. I was told both online (through live chat) and over the phone with the sales associate. Today, August 20, the installer arrives in jeans and a ripped Harley Davidson T-Shirt, to install my satellite dish. A tiny bit of professionalism could not hurt in this instance. Of course, I can't blame the installer for the problems I had before, so I let it pass. He came in, walked right out to my balcony, and showed me the places where he could mount my dish. Except he did not have a tripod. He looked at me and said "Are you sure it needs to be mounted on a tripod?" as if to second guess me. He explained that he could not get a tripod mount today (these were on the 'southside of Indy' approximately 60 miles away). He apologized, and asked me if he could come back between 8-12 tomorrow morning, Thursday August 21. I told him that this appointment was fine, but I had an afternoon commitment, so it must be a morning appointment. Not a problem he said, and he left.

About 20 minutes later, I received a very rude phone call from a lady at 317-293-8097, which I can assume is the 'dispatch' service for this contractor. She informed me first that I had not obtained landlord permission, and needed to reschedule. I had the signed form. When I told her that, she informed me that I was not home, and needed to reschedule. I informed her very politely that I was home, that I had spoken with the installer, and that he had not brought the proper equipment. I told her that he offered to come back the following morning, between 8a-12p. She told me that was impossible, as they only had a 12-5 appointment tomorrow. I thanked her for her time, and told her to cancel the work order.

I then decided to call back to 1-800-333-DISH, and share my experience. The think accented CSR asked me for my account number, and then told me she could not help me because my account was canceled. I again thanked her for her time, and disconnected.

I'm not really sure what I expect to hear from your office, or what I expected to hear from the CSR I called. I am overall just extremely disappointed. My father had Dish Network, and jumped to DirecTV because of HD locals. I can't get HD locals, so I opted for Dish Network, because I like the equipment better. I was extremely disappointed that your website failed me in such a way, that your sales associate did not schedule the correct installation, that you let unprofessional installers and their contractors install your satellite dishes, and I was really surprised that your company did nothing to retain me as a new subscriber, coming off a quarter of losing 25,000 subscribers. I do not 'need' high definition DVR service, but I wanted it.

I work a full time retail job, and I am a full time student who starts next Monday. This week was the only time for the foreseeable future that I would have a chance to make an appointment with Dish Network.

If this is the experience you intend to provide to new customers, I cannot imagine what experience I would have as a loyal customer. Unfortunately for you, I will never have that opportunity.

My best suggestion is to go to an independent retailer in your area and avoid dish as much as possible. This may require a few $$ out of pocket, but you will get more reliable service.

If you are at all handy, you might want to talk to Claude at the Dishstore.net. I have never had anything but the most professional transactions with him, and I believe he has a national installer network at his disposal. Personally, I'd try to do it myself first, but that's the engineer talking. :)

My install was a nightmare; your experience may be even worse. I finally arranged an installation through a local dealer and it went off without a hitch. That was almost three years ago and I've never looked back.

I have two suggestions:

1. Find a reputable dealer in your area who will handle the account setup and installation. You'll be much happier.

2. Claude at www.dishstore.net has a great reputation on this board (although I have no personal experience with him). He is also a sponsor of this site so, if you go through him, you are supporting satelliteguys.us, which is a good thing for all of us.

claude at dishstore is the way to go...he arranged for a clean, professional instal, and made sure I got all the rebates/credits/ and billing info I needed to start with Dish..

If you get a reply from CEO, please post it. I'd be interested to hear how they respond to a situation like this.

but great minds ... :eureka

I'd always said that when I and my father-in-law would have the same ideas. Then another relative said the following to set us back in place.

Us: "Great minds think alike".
Her: "But all fools run on the same channel". :eek:

To keep on topic, I see lots of threads of individuals who are more than happy with Claude and Dishstore.net. I suspect you'd also be a satisfied customer. Hope this works out for you. Be sure to let us know if you end up being a happy E* HD DVR user.

Thanks guys (even those that made fun of my typos)...

I will get in touch with Claude, or I'm sure he'll post on here.

I wasn't really concerned with cost, and I was prepared with the somewhat uncustomary tip, since I know tripod mounts cost more than 4 lag bolts...

I will definitely post a reply if I get one. Thanks guys. Do you know of a better way to contact Claude if he doesn't post on here?

That sucks. I work in retail to and I know how hard it is sometimes to plan things out.

I live just north of Indy. When the guy came out for my install on Monday, he showed up in a newer dish network van. He had on black cargo pants a dish network shirt and hat on. And he even called and had my work order fixed ( they messed up having both of my recivers taken out and just the 722 put in) He was in and out in about 1 1/2 hours max.
I can remember when I first got dishnetwork the guy that showed up was not the best dressed but he was great. Went out of the way to get everything right the first time.

I guess it boils down to the right place at the right time.

Frankly, it's not possible to buy nice clothes with the pay we get. No idea how he had a new van; most likely a DNS tech in a company van.

That gives me hope still, silentgarth...

And frankly, you can look damn nice buying your clothes at Goodwill, so I don't want to hear that!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)