So I'm Just Screwed? Ready to Dump DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpoesq1

Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
The only point on my lot where I can put my Direct TV dish is 350 feet from the house (hilly lot - tried everything, no luck). Dish is receiving crystal clear HD signal, but I can't get any HD at the house (too far away). Non-HD channels work fine, but all HD channels show error message - something like "771 searching for signal ...." I've had three different techs out to look at it - nothing. Totally SUCKS, but it sounds like I'm just f'ed.

Have Your Tried a SWM Setup

I would suggest that your try a SWM8 or SWM S ODU. Another Option would be to install a higher grade Coax.

Not a Dumb Question

Bateau - I did install the B Band coverters, but not a dumb question - I am entirely capable of screwing this stuff up.

JD and Zy:

1. So are you suggesting going from RG6 wire to RG11? Is the idea that the 11 preserves the signal over greater distance?

2. As for the SWM - can you explain to me exactly what that is and what I would do to buy and install it? Could you please use really small words to explain what an "SWM 8" or SWM S ODU" is? I am a total neophyte and find that most of the time the terminology here is above my understanding.

Thanks. I hope there is some way I can return the favor some day!

John

The new Single Wire Switch (SWM) technology allows the use of a single wire from the dish, model SWMLine, to SWM capable receivers. Using RG11, which has a lower loss, would help over long distances.

How did you manage to get an install at 350' feet? Do you have four lines running to the dish?

Further clarification on the distance of the dish: Can you not get it on your house or do not want it there? Can you get a standard picture closer?

Answers for Spaceghost

The install at 350 feet was done with the bigger sound and TV installation. They originally had it 50 feet from the house which delivered regular channels perfectly, but no HD. The move away was based on me wanting to have HD. I have a massive (for me) investment in TVs and HD boxes and I refuse to believe that HD isn't possible. Installer told me that the 350 foot away opint was the only point with access to the HD satellite(s).

Is it the fact that at 50ft you can only see the 101 bird (primary satellite)? Have you physically looked at that spot (with a compass) to see if a little trimming would open up 99 & 103? Installers have a mandatory window that they mostly follow (free space on every side of the signal area) that a private installer (or yourself if you're handy) don't need to follow. Can you go higher & install the dish on top of your roof or even higher on the top of your chimney? I don't install dishes for a living but do go out to help friends with so called impossible installs & have really never failed to find a location; even if it means the area needs to be pruned back each year.

I don't know how much money you want to throw at it, but you could try RG-11 (expensive disappointment if it won't work) or try Hardline. Hardline is pricey but it would probably work preserving the signals. Some type of compatible bi-directional amp may work too.

If you could originally get the standard picture 50 feet away, you can probably get the HD. The HD satellites are only 2º from the satellite feed for standard picture. Unless you were really cutting it close with the standard picture, you will be ok with a closer install.

350' for HD in absurd. It should have never been put in w/out a SWM AND RG11.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)