So is E* just going to hold out until Mar. 31 to announce not carrying MLB EI?

dishbd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
So, I'm beginning to wonder if Charlie is just going to wait until the very last minute to announce that Dish won't be carrying MLB EI. And I can see why he would do this. Why tell people now so that they can go ahead and sign up for D* now? I'm guessing that there is a very low likely hood that E* will choose MLB's terms. Although I have to say that I was a bit surprised by Charlie's response about it during the chat this past Monday. He actually said that if E* was given the same deal that D* got, then they would do it. But it sounds like the hang up might be, and this is actually a legitimate point by E*, that they are not being offered the same deal that D* got, because D* is given partial ownership in the MLB channel.

Any other thoughts?

E* should be carrying MLB EI this season. Its next season that is up in the air. So why announce it beforee the start of this season?

E* should be carrying MLB EI this season. Its next season that is up in the air. So why announce it beforee the start of this season?
Err. It is this season which is up in the air. They have never been in a rush to annouce availablility of the Package each year. Why be in a rush this year. :)

BTW: There is activity concerning MASN, but not conclusive, yet.

Last year I had received my bill for EI back in February before I even received my tax returns. Believe me if Charlie has a deal with MLB we would be billed for it by now.

My guess as stated previously is that he is indeed waiting till 11.pm. on the 31st of March to tell us that Dish is not going to carry the channel.

I would expect Charlie to be a little more forth coming and give us advance notice but they dont want to loose the customers there going to loose any sooner than necessary.

I will simply run a line from the DirecTV receiver I have upstairs down to my Big TV when an EI game that I want to watch is on.

They need to match Direct's commitment and offer the MLB channel in 2009. That channel is going to be showing MLB games and should be baseball's equivalent to NFL Network which I consider a must-have.

They need to match Direct's commitment and offer the MLB channel in 2009. That channel is going to be showing MLB games and should be baseball's equivalent to NFL Network which I consider a must-have.
Actually they don't E* existed long before they carried the MLB package You are talking about 100,000 customers that actually subscribe

Direct walked into the deal and is getting benefits E* won't in the same situation. D*'s deal is a one-time agreement with MLB, and provided they play by MLB's rules, MLB has NO incentive to give E* the same opportunities. MLB's biggest concern was launching their soon all sports network setup in the future, and D*'s agreement states they'll cover that. The BS part of this entire thing is D* and MLB said they'll let E* have the same deal, but no mention of MLB and E* profit-sharing as Murdoch has arranged on this new network ownership has EVER been offered to E*.

Maybe D* has decided "fair" needed to be redefined. More power to Charlie, tell MLB where they can stick their Extra Innings.

Charlie gets to air out his thoughts on March 27th in front of a congressional committee if he believes he is not offered a fair chance of getting EI under the same terms as DIRECTV.

I hope one of the CSPAN's televise the hearing.

Given that Charlie will work any remaining angles right up to and probably past the deadline, I do not think there will be any early announcements about not carrying EI.

You might see something a plea to write letters to someone.

However as I just got a $10/mon fee increase, I will not be writing any letters for Charlie.

It looks like equity in the MLB Channel is an issue:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6425793.html

Cable, Dish Holding Up on 'Extra Innings'

By R. Thomas Umstead 3/19/2007

With two weeks left before opening day, EchoStar Communications's Dish Network and the cable industry remain unwilling to take a swing at the most recent pitch for distribution of the Major League Baseball “Extra Innings” package.

EchoStar last week seemed to back away from MLB's offer, which gives cable operators and Dish the ability to secure the out-of-market package by March 31, if the parties agree to match terms of DirecTV's seven-year, $700 million deal. That pact includes the subscription package, as well as basic-tier distribution for MLB›s upstart 24/7 channel in 2009.

But during an on-air “Charlie Chat” with subscribers last week, EchoStar executives complained that baseball's latest offer doesn't give Dish or operators the ability to match DirecTV's 20% equity stake in the new baseball channel. The value of the channel — only expected to carry 26 live baseball games — diminishes greatly without the equity component and could increase EchoStar fees to consumers by 400%, according to the company.

A spokeswoman for In Demand, which has been negotiating for the cable industry, said the company is still in discussions with MLB, but declined to elaborate on or characterize the talks.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee has set a March 27 hearing date to examine the deal's implications. Representatives from DirecTV, EchoStar and In Demand declined comment about the Capitol Hill session.

As baseball, Dish and cable try to hash out a deal, DirecTV has been quietly promoting its $159 Extra Innings package — along with a $39 “Superpass” interactive offering on its Web site. DirecTV subscribers can order the package online at or by phone.
A DirecTV spokesman said the company is aggressively promoting the package in customer-targeted bill stuffers and monthly magazines, but has yet to announce plans for a national ad campaign.

Executive vice president of entertainment Eric Shanks said that under normal circumstances, DirecTV would have begun marketing the package March 1.

But these aren't normal circumstances. Evidently, DirecTV's hands are tied for the most part until cable decides whether it's going to take MLB's final Extra Innings offer. If cable and Dish's strategy is to wait until March 31 before deciding to pass, DirecTV would hold the package exclusively, but it wouldn't be able to market that fact to consumers until the day the 2007 MLB season begins on April 1.

As always business is business. They probably dont know yet which is more advantageous and are doing major research, so no announcement.

I dont know why they would think it would be better to pass on it. People like more choices. But thats why the people figuring out such things make the big bucks. Either that or they consult a magic 8-ball and it keeps coming up "ask again later". :p

You assume that E* is GOING TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT of not carrying MLB EI.

That in itself is bad publicity - for all E* subs.

By just not carrying it and no public announcement, only the few subs that carried about it will ever know.

Why make a big announcement for something you are not going to carry?

You assume that E* is GOING TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT of not carrying MLB EI.

That in itself is bad publicity - for all E* subs.

By just not carrying it and no public announcement, only the few subs that carried about it will ever know.

Why make a big announcement for something you are not going to carry?

I sorta agree with you on that.

It courtesy to its subscribers who paid for the package the past few years. If Dish is not going to carry the package they could at least email or mail those affected a letter telling them they are no longer carrying it if they dont want to post something on the web site.

My guess is that it will go down to this hearing at the end of the month. In short if Dish does not carry it I will order it my directv receiver upstairs and run a cable down to the big TV when the games I want to watch are on.

It courtesy to its subscribers who paid for the package the past few years. If Dish is not going to carry the package they could at least email or mail those affected a letter telling them they are no longer carrying it if they dont want to post something on the web site.

My guess is that it will go down to this hearing at the end of the month. In short if Dish does not carry it I will order it my directv receiver upstairs and run a cable down to the big TV when the games I want to watch are on.

"E*" and "courtesy to its subscribers".

There are 2 terms you don't hear together.

Not being a DIsh apologist if I were running the company I also wouldn't announce until the last minute either. No matter if it's 10 or 1000 subs who switch because of the package it's all lost revenue and that's not good business.

It's really not a discourtesy to subscribers it's just business.