So is it HD-lite or not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a 32" 720p Sony LCD tv.

I have not had much chance to check out the new Directv HD channels yet.

I am wondering, since my tv's native resolution is much less than 1920 by 1080i, should I still notice a picture quality improvement between full resolution and HD-lite (which is actually a higher resolution than my tv's)?

It seems to me I should see an improvement but I am not sure.

On a 32 inch 16:9 screen it would be hard to tell the difference between 1280x720i versus 1920x1080i

On a 32 inch 16:9 screen it would be hard to tell the difference between 1280x720i versus 1920x1080i
Yeah I am considering 32" for my bedroom. 720p would be a great cheaper solution. I dont even think you could distinguish 1080p at that size.

Yeah I am considering 32" for my bedroom. 720p would be a great cheaper solution. I dont even think you could distinguish 1080p at that size.

You are correct, V, it's the distance that would allow it to look the same a 720p (vs 1080p). If you sit 10 ft away from a 1080p panel, you normally cannot tell the difference.

Jimbo

Ok, I finally got home and have been surfing around the dial. Nothing short of "WOW!!!"
What a night and day difference from the existing D* HD channels.

All this time, I was only minimully impressed with my 42" Sammy plasma after switching from my 50" rear projection Sony HDTV. But there was a long interlude after switching TV's before I got HD again. Had Voom with the Sony and was very impressed with the PQ. Up until today, I was only a satisfied with D*'d HD offering.

After today though, I am completely satisified. Couldn't ask for more!
Except to keep it the way it is! :up

You are correct, V, it's the distance that would allow it to look the same a 720p (vs 1080p). If you sit 10 ft away from a 1080p panel, you normally cannot tell the difference.

Jimbo
Do you see the scam the manufacturers are pulling now by making these smaller sized sets at 1080p? As if consumers havent been lied enough too already. :rolleyes:

? as directv adds more channels will the PQ stay the same as it is today. Will some channels stay MPEG4 while other HD channels go back to MPEG2. I have a 61" RCA DLP Projection and I never have seen the outstanding PQ quaility

? as directv adds more channels will the PQ stay the same as it is today. Will some channels stay MPEG4 while other HD channels go back to MPEG2. I have a 61" RCA DLP Projection and I never have seen the outstanding PQ quaility

PQ will stay the same as long as they dont run out of capacity and start cramming more than 4 on a TP. We'll have to hope they wont.

I think everthing is headed towards MPEG4

I'm not big on this whole HD Vs HD-Lite thing.. but I just put on the YES Network in HD and maybe I'm just hallucinating, but it seems to look better than it did before..

Ok, I have all the channels and they look great.

Question...I have the HR20 do I want native turned on or off? I saw a thread a while back but can't find it now. Is having native on bad for the receiver in any way with changing channels often? I don't want to "kill" my receiver before it's time. I see the defualt is set to off.

Well you don't have to blindly accept what people say. Go to your friends house with D* or Best Buy and see it in person.
Or as Consumer Reports detailed this month. The differences in HDTV Tv's.
Panasonic 58" Plasma HDTV (1080p) here and PQ has been excellent with a Dish 622 and Bose 5.1 surround. It's the package. Dish alignment, reception, cables, receivers and external Winegard. The entire system needs to work together for optimum PQ and sound.

Ok, I have all the channels and they look great.

Question...I have the HR20 do I want native turned on or off? I saw a thread a while back but can't find it now. Is having native on bad for the receiver in any way with changing channels often? I don't want to "kill" my receiver before it's time. I see the defualt is set to off.

I personally like native on, just because its passes the stations native rezz to your tv and lets it do the work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts