So is it HD-lite or not?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
A Direct TV hype again, TWC has No HD, it's all being upconverted until sometime in 2008. It's just an SD channell be upconverted.

Same thing with CNN, except they have a few new HD cameras on their top rated shows shot out of one studio !!!

While WTC's live studio content is upconverted they will have some of their primetime shows in HD starting in October. Then he goes and says CNN is the same (aka all upconverted) but then says the have HD cameras on their top rated shows out of one studio, doesn't sound like all upconveted to me.

I don't understand people like sprintcarcrazy that appear to expect all HD channels to be HD 24x7x365 as soon as they start, that just isn't going to be happening for most channels. Go back to when networks first started to go color, it was only a few shows a week until they could build up their content, give HD time, it will get there eventually.

And if upconverted SD is so bad, why the big push to have upconverting DVD players and folks saying how much better it looks?

While WTC's live studio content is upconverted they will have some of their primetime shows in HD starting in October. Then he goes and says CNN is the same (aka all upconverted) but then says the have HD cameras on their top rated shows out of one studio, doesn't sound like all upconveted to me.

I don't understand people like sprintcarcrazy that appear to expect all HD channels to be HD 24x7x365 as soon as they start, that just isn't going to be happening for most channels. Go back to when networks first started to go color, it was only a few shows a week until they could build up their content, give HD time, it will get there eventually.

And if upconverted SD is so bad, why the big push to have upconverting DVD players and folks saying how much better it looks?

He's a Dish sub just enjoying himself bashing D*, kinda feel sorry for him if that's all he has to do to have fun.

Some of the Discovery HD shows have been the best HD I've seen so far on my home theater.

Directv mpeg4 rocks !:)

Matt

Ok, so lets say DIsh grabs 150 of there SD channels and starts pushing accross in upconverted HD, that makes Dish have 150 HD !!!! Wrong !! Same point with direct.

What is an HD Channel, one that broadcasts most if not all material in HD, that means converted from film or shot with HD cameras, that's what HD is all about, the great resolution and color !

Dish has a few channels that hardly qualify as HD, TNT, A & E, have very limited HD content. Probably some others...

Direct or Dish, it's not right to claim fame to being the HD leader by adding upcoverted SD

Uh, no, TWC doesn't have an HD channel, the are picking up the normal channel that we all watch and upconverting it to HD. Can't you read ?????? So dish picks up speed right now or Lifetime and upconverts it and send it accross, instant HD, WRONG !!!!

But D* is not doing any upconversion, they are taking a HD signal provided by the content provider and sending that same signal out.

You've said numerous times that TWC is NOT HD and won't be until next spring. Hate to say it but they are doing some HD, if you had the channel you'd see it. The ads that they're running for Epic Contitions and Weather Ventures ARE in HDl which will start airing next week, and a number of folks have said that the weather graphics for weather on the 10's are in HD.

Now if D* was taking a 480i signal and upconverting in on their own then I'd agree with you, but they are not.

BTW, to back up my claim that TWC is in HD here's a screen capture that shows it, check the bottom right corner where it says The Weather Channel HD.

Attachments

• DSC02307.JPG
    DSC02307.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 207
Hey everyone, thought this little clipping from another website might clear up some of the CNNHD when it is and isn't HD. This is taken from the September 1 press release from CNN. I got it from the What's Happening at CNN website.

"For CNN HD, programs produced in high definition will include American Morning, CNN’s new 8 p.m. program anchored by Campbell Brown, Lou Dobbs Tonight, Anderson Cooper 360º, Lou Dobbs Weekend, Your $$$$$ and Open House. High-definition programming also includes Planet in Peril, a sweeping four-hour documentary featuring Anderson Cooper, Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Animal Planet’s Jeff Corwin. Filmed in high definition across four continents and 13 countries, Planet in Peril will air over two nights on CNN/U.S. on Tuesday, Oct. 23, and Wednesday, Oct. 24, from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. (ET/PT).

CNN’s first documentary filmed entirely in high definition will be CNN: Special Investigations Unit documentary Fed Up: America ’s Killer Diet featuring Gupta, CNN’s chief medical correspondent. It will air on Saturday, Sept. 22, and Sunday, Sept. 23, at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. (ET). CNN’s next two presidential debates – a Nov. 15 Democratic debate co-sponsored with the Nevada Democratic Party in Las Vegas and a Nov. 28 Republican debate co-sponsored with YouTube in Florida – will both be shot and produced in a high-definition format for live broadcasts."

The rest is upconverted at this time.

Screen shot sure looks like HD, so maybe they got some of their broadcasting facilities up a little early, thats great ! What in 5 years, everything will be in HD, and that will be the standard, what will we have to talk about then ???

Dish TV has better smell than Direct on Food network ?

Holy SH$T

I would say NOT HD Lite!

I am going to do some side by side tests of Dish -vs- DirecTV HD later on.

I just went to the D* website and cut on StarzHD. Turned to the movie "Zoom". OMFG!!! D* has never had anything look this good that I can remember. Can this be true or have I just been "HDLite tortured" for so long??? Why cant they split the SHOHD and HBOHD signals on the ground and run them through mpeg4 encoders too? The Mpeg4 stuff is definately brighter and crisper. "the wild" on 518 looks freaking awesome, I can count hairs on the animals.

Last edited:
I just went to the D* website and cut on StarzHD. Turned to the movie "Zoom". OMFG!!! D* has never had anything look this good. Can this be true or have I just been HDLite tortured for so long??? Why cant they split the SHOHD and HBOHD signals on the ground and run them through mpeg4 encoders too? The Mpeg4 stuff is definately brighter and crisper.

Yeah, when Starz showing HD it almost looks like a Blu-ray. I flipped to the The Wild and you could see every little 3D animated hair on the animals.

I guess I've just been in the dark. I didn't know these were turned on in HD. My "favorites" has them in SD. So I just now went and added CNNHD and TWCHD to my favorites. Yea verily CNNHD has HD pillar bars so I can believe it's HD at least part of the time. But TWCHD is 4:3. Do they go 16:9 HD at times? Sheesh, I can't believe I've not been watching these in HD. How long have I been short changing myself?

For a lot of the channels in the "add channels" page the SD and HD have the same channel number. If I highlight the HD version will they show up in HD?

Edit:

OK, thru trial I've answered my own question on how to get these into my guide in HD. But I'm still curious as to when the turn on day was.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)