So... Is StarBand going to upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Now that Hughesnet and Wildblue are in the 10+ Mbps range, is there any news of StarBand upgrading their services?

They don't have any new satellites going up to my knowledge so my guess is they don't have any upgrade plans. I bet they fold or sell out while they have a customer base left.

They don't have any new satellites going up to my knowledge so my guess is they don't have any upgrade plans. I bet they fold or sell out while they have a customer base left.

To be honest,when I saw this thread I was very surprised starband was still in business.Thought they folded yrs ago.

Well, Starband is owned by Gilat, who already has Ka-assets elsewhere in the world. I'm thinking they're likely satisfied with that share. But regarding their North American Ku-assets, I'd say it depends upon what kind of a Ku-band presence HughesNet leaves behind. All their Ku-transponders are leased, and I'm sure they'd like to drop that expense. If that happens, Starband will be there to fill the "Ku-gap". That is, satellite internet serviced needed by those potential customers who don't have line-of-sight with a HughesNet/Exede Ka-satellite.

//greg//

Last edited:
I'd say it depends upon what kind of a Ku-band presence HughesNet leaves behind. All their Ku-transponders are leased, and I'm sure they'd like to drop that expense. If that happens, Starband will be there to fill the "Ku-gap". That is, satellite internet serviced needed by those potential customers who don't have line-of-sight with a HughesNet/Exede Ka-satellite.

//greg//

Talk about a niche within a niche...

Well, Starband is owned by Gilat, who already has Ka-assets elsewhere in the world. I'm thinking they're likely satisfied with that share. But regarding their North American Ku-assets, I'd say it depends upon what kind of a Ku-band presence HughesNet leaves behind. All their Ku-transponders are leased, and I'm sure they'd like to drop that expense. If that happens, Starband will be there to fill the "Ku-gap". That is, satellite internet serviced needed by those potential customers who don't have line-of-sight with a HughesNet/Exede Ka-satellite.

//greg//

Hughes is continuing to hold on to the KU band right now. Almost 90% of their Enterprise market is on it. They also want to be able to still support the mobile deployment internet applications as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)