So long to Voom....for now!!

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
Ive been trying out Voom for about 2 weeks now, and overall they seem to be a pretty good satellite provider for being the new kid on the block, and obviously offering the most HD channels...I wont say the BEST HD channels but they do have the most.

That being said though I was able to get a Dish 811 receiver at a good price so I will be switching back over to Dish. Dish was good enough to give me a free month so I could do a side by side comparison.

I do know currently Dish doesn't have near the HD channels Voom does although they do have PPV ones already and of course I do miss not having the channels Tech Tv and the Sci Fi.

I don't particuarly like Vooms menu guide system , but being use to Dish version may be the main reason, and maybe it grows on you the more you use it

I give Voom credit for offering thier lease service so at least you are tied into a long term contract, and honestly I may even consider trying them again withing 6 months or so when they have really expanded and certainly when they put thier new dvr receiver on the market!

Thanks and big kudos to Voom!!

Stalker said:
and obviously offering the most HD channels...I wont say the BEST HD channels but they do have the most.

I've seen this type of comment before, and except for HDNET, no other Sat provider offers anything 'better'. V* has it all for the most part and the best monthly fee for the 'entire package'.

That being said, it's obviously not for you and if E* is your ticket to happiness then so be it. V* isn't for everybody.

Maybe we'll see you back here sometime.

I don't particuarly like Vooms menu guide system , but being use to Dish version may be the main reason, and maybe it grows on you the more you use it
Most here would agree that relying on a menu as the primary UI was a mistake on VOOM's part. You won't be the first subscriber to leave VOOM, at least in part because of that. That said, did you ever configure your favorites? If you configure your favorites, and use the favorites button on the remote, it will function more like a Dish or DirecTV receiver.

VOOM has a major software update coming mid-May, and it could improve the usability of the set-top box. We'll see.

Keep in mind Dish isn't expected to add much (if any HDTV) soon. The content on their single $5.99 HD-PPV channel is very limited. I also hope you're aware that you'll lose programming information on your DTV/HDTV locals, as the 811 doesn't provide that. Of course, they do offer TechTV and SciFi, two SD channels notably absent from VOOM's lineup.

hhmmm ... go to a provider with less HD, more PPV channels and a better guide.
Sorry. Have fun watching SD though. Personally I would say three Hail Marys and 2 our fathers to change a channel with all this HD.

Am I the only one who likes the VOOM programming guide? I can't stand the guide on my dish 6000.

"That being said though I was able to get a Dish 811 receiver at a good price so I will be switching back over to Dish. Dish was good enough to give me a free month so I could do a side by side comparison."- wow that is too bad for you. you just fell into the Dish promo trap. now you are locked in for a year with the worst Satellite company in the US. If its anything other than basic receivers you want Dish is not for you. the 811 is among the most problematic receivers ever made. just visit the Dish forum and see for yourself. I hear people compaining everyday about how they hate that receiver. no wonder they give it away for free, or will give you a free one month test. they know that DirecTV is beating them, so they will give discounts for new subs like yourself.

mini1 said:
"That being said though I was able to get a Dish 811 receiver at a good price so I will be switching back over to Dish. Dish was good enough to give me a free month so I could do a side by side comparison."- wow that is too bad for you. you just fell into the Dish promo trap. now you are locked in for a year with the worst Satellite company in the US. If its anything other than basic receivers you want Dish is not for you. the 811 is among the most problematic receivers ever made. just visit the Dish forum and see for yourself. I hear people compaining everyday about how they hate that receiver. no wonder they give it away for free, or will give you a free one month test. they know that DirecTV is beating them, so they will give discounts for new subs like yourself.

I read alot of the post on the 811 issues, and most all were the darkness issue with the S_VHS connection but I use a DVI connection, and keep in mind I have been a Dish customer for many years.

The way I see it both have thier pros and cons, and I have seen some post in this forum with issues with the voom receiver also.

Voom does advertise 21plus HD channels and that is the most but it doesnt make it the BEST because out of that 21 plus I found myself only watching 5 or 6 of them mainly the premiums..after all HD art gallery certainly isnt my forte! :)

I also realize dish doesnt have alot of HD programming YET but we will see and I may yet be back Vooming again soon..especially when that pvr system is released!! :D

Stalker,
I am trying to understand your reasoning so correct me if I don't. So, you are switching to E* because you want TechTV and SciFi (both in SD) and because in 2 weeks you haven't gotten used to the guide. If that's the case why did you bother to try Voom?

Anybody know why VOOM doesn't have HDNET?

As for canceling VOOM maybe it's not for everyone. But I'd rather see mediocre HDTV than mediocre SDTV!

TimBob5259 said:
Am I the only one who likes the VOOM programming guide? I can't stand the guide on my dish 6000.
You're not alone. Coming from the Comcast world, I should say that I prefer the VOOM interface ;)

Walter L. said:
The reason is simple: Mark Cuban doesn't like VOOM.
And with each new HD channel added to VOOM this becomes less and less relevant. ;)

I for one would like to see HDNET up on Voom, it would just complete the package that much more, and make me reconsider Voom again, esp. if they got INHD 1 & 2.

mini1 said:
I for one would like to see HDNET up on Voom, it would just complete the package that much more, and make me reconsider Voom again, esp. if they got INHD 1 & 2.

InHD 1 & 2 are higher on my list b/c they offer baseball, golf, etc. HDNET has some nice movies, but I already have more movie channels (Cinema 10, Epics, HBO, Show, Starz, Encore, etc.) than I need. Voom is still week in sports b/c of no RSNs.

Stalker said:
... out of that 21 plus I found myself only watching 5 or 6 of them mainly the premiums...
:confused: 21 plus, including premiums??? I count 36 HD channels + local HD channels. This is more like 40 plus ... And you want to trade this for a couple of SD channels with commercials? Wow!

Its the other way around James Dolan HATES Mark Cuban. He also will not share the MSGHD or FSNYHD feeds with Mark Cuban for broadcast on HDNet.
He also has a personal rivalry with him in the NBA. James Dolan - President of Cablevision - owns the Knicks
Mark Cuban owns the Mavaricks
If Cablevision wanted HDNet they could have it tommarrow if needed. It is just personal and spiteful. HDNet needs CV/VOOM more than VOOM needs CV.

Leaving Voom

It's a shame, because when VOOM adds tech tv and sci-fi you will probably want to switch back. Word also has it that it is not legale to refuse services like inhd1 and 2 to satellite broadcasters, althought they could make it cost prohibitive.

VOOM i couldt wait to moov away from it

Voom has failed bigtime here in new jersey area, major delays in getting stb's, installation issues. very bad signal strength <<< again maybe that was the installer also. but most of all and totally unforgivable was crappy customer service. i was ready to stick it out with voom, even with the slow changing, mediocre guide and lack of overall functionality of stb. but the bottom line was and get this a 3 WEEK WAIT FOR A TECH TO COME OUT AND FIX MY 3 STB'S THAT LOST SIGNAL TOTALLY. i canceled and now i have waited well over a month for a refund. In my opinion voom at least here in my area is lacking in all facets of being a good service. really is a shame though because when the box was working i thought the pic q was tremendous, just didnt work enough of the time. Well good luck to all of you at voom, well not really im hoping for the company to fail if only to feel vindicated LOL

stevesmall said:
Voom has failed bigtime here in new jersey area, major delays in getting stb's, installation issues. very bad signal strength <<< again maybe that was the installer also. but most of all and totally unforgivable was crappy customer service. i was ready to stick it out with voom, even with the slow changing, mediocre guide and lack of overall functionality of stb. but the bottom line was and get this a 3 WEEK WAIT FOR A TECH TO COME OUT AND FIX MY 3 STB'S THAT LOST SIGNAL TOTALLY. i canceled and now i have waited well over a month for a refund. In my opinion voom at least here in my area is lacking in all facets of being a good service. really is a shame though because when the box was working i thought the pic q was tremendous, just didnt work enough of the time. Well good luck to all of you at voom, well not really im hoping for the company to fail if only to feel vindicated LOL
You mention issues that were solved a long time ago (slow channel changing). And yes some of the contracted installers are incompetent but these are the same people that would install not only VOOM but also other DBS services in your area.

TimBob5259 said:

I Agree with TimBob5259, I hated the guide on dish, it was blue and boring, Voom has added a bit of spunk to the PG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)