So tomorrow I'm getting a VIP 922 and a VIP 211...but I have a question.

NDirishKC

Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Kansas City
Hi, new to the forums here

I just upgraded my TV2 to a HDTV. So apparently I need an extra receiver just to view HD on that TV. Dish is coming tomorrow to hook up a Solo VIP 211 to my TV2. They're also switching out my VIP 722 and giving me a VIP 922. My question is this: Will my TV2 be able to access the DVR content on the VIP 922 receiver? If they can set it up that way will it cost any extra?

No it will not share content between TV's.

Remember when you get a 922 that it takes 24 to 48 hours before it starts fully working correctly... so be prepaired to ride through some bumps the first day or so. :D

Hmmm...okay well if instead of getting the 211 could I get the VIP 612? Would that cost extra? Or would it still be just the extra $7.00 a month for the extra reciever?

The 612 will have a DVR fee. The 211 is not a DVR so does not have that fee. Of course you get the benefits of DVR service with the 612, plus you can add an external hard drive for free. (not the drive itself, but no cost to initiate the service and no service charges) You can then transfer shows from one receiver to the other or just plug in the hard drive to either receiver and watch without transferring.
That can not be done with the 211, because it is not compatible with the DVR's. You can add an external hard drive to the 211, but it will only work with the 211, and it will cost a one time $40 fee.

The 612 costs $10/mo as an extra receiver, but will not incur an additional $6/account DVR fee because the 922 is already there socking it to ya. In fact, I think it's a $10 DVR fee for the 922 is it not? Nevertheless, you can sneakernet your files between a 922 and a 612, which you cannot with a 211 instead.

The 612 costs $10/mo as an extra receiver, but will not incur an additional $6/account DVR fee because the 922 is already there socking it to ya. In fact, I think it's a $10 DVR fee for the 922 is it not? Nevertheless, you can sneakernet your files between a 922 and a 612, which you cannot with a 211 instead.

You are correct. The 612 (as an additional to the 922) would cost $10 a month. The 922 also does have a $10 DVR instead of $6 on other DVR receivers, and you can transfer content between a 612 and 922 (with an EHD)

You can leave the TV2 out of the 922 hooked up watch any 922 DVR'd material that way (but it will be in SD). It's not perfect, but at least gives access to the content.

You are aware the 922 is an extra $4/month over the 722? Unless you get excited about the pretty interface or need multiple EHDs, I don't think its worth the extra monthly $$.

Hi, new to the forums here

I just upgraded my TV2 to a HDTV. So apparently I need an extra receiver just to view HD on that TV. Dish is coming tomorrow to hook up a Solo VIP 211 to my TV2. They're also switching out my VIP 722 and giving me a VIP 922. My question is this: Will my TV2 be able to access the DVR content on the VIP 922 receiver? If they can set it up that way will it cost any extra?
My question is why they are swapping out your 722 with a 922?

No it will not share content between TV's.

Remember when you get a 922 that it takes 24 to 48 hours before it starts fully working correctly... so be prepaired to ride through some bumps the first day or so. :D

This man is not kidding. My first 3 days were pure grief.

You can actually move content around, you just need an external usb drive to put
the content on.

You can leave the TV2 out of the 922 hooked up watch any 922 DVR'd material that way (but it will be in SD). It's not perfect, but at least gives access to the content.

Yes leave your Home Distribution hooked up to the antenna in and connect the 211 via hdmi. Use the format button (*) to change the TV2 output to letterbox, then use the new TV's remote to expand the picture to as close to full screen as you can. Still SD, but you will be using full screen.
When you want to watch the 211, just change the input to hdmi. I'd also spend the $40 to activate an ehd on the 211. That will give you dvr like functionality on the 211. There is no charge to activate an ehd on the 922. You cannot interchage the ehd's.

Yeah, you can use the existing tv2 hookup on your new tv. The 211 will need a dedicated line from the dish to the receiver, then you can run hdmi from the rcvr to the new tv. This isn't a big deal if the line is simple to run, but a little more involved if, like my house, everything is wall fished and quick-ported.

I actually have a 922 and a 222, and have the 922 tv2 mirrored and set up to run on 222 tv1, and a separate tv in the basement where the wife exercises. Took me a little extra work to set up, but in the end it was no big deal.

Because they told me they could upgrade it for free...the only cost will be the extra $4/month or whatever it is...so why not? :D

$4.00 x 12 = $48.00 a year to do what a 722k + sling adapter does now for FREE. $48.00 x 4 years and you will have paid an extra $ 192.00 and still get nothing extra for your money.

I'm keeping the 722k with sling adapter.

Not worth the hassle to break the wife and family in on the new interface.

MikeD-C05 said:
$4.00 x 12 = $48.00 a year to do what a 722k + sling adapter does now for FREE. $48.00 x 4 years and you will have paid an extra $ 192.00 and still get nothing extra for your money.

The interface is the big selling point. The BBMP demo from the 922 looked great. The current 722/722K interface is awful. Is that difference in user experience worth $4/month? Some would say yes, others would say no. I personally think Dish should reduce that fee to $6 like every other DVD box. If they did, I'd jump on a 922 and re-up for another two years. As it is, I'll stay out of contract and keep my options open.

The interface is the big selling point. The BBMP demo from the 922 looked great. The current 722/722K interface is awful. Is that difference in user experience worth $4/month? Some would say yes, others would say no. I personally think Dish should reduce that fee to $6 like every other DVD box. If they did, I'd jump on a 922 and re-up for another two years. As it is, I'll stay out of contract and keep my options open.

I agree they should lower the fee to $6.00 like the current dvr fees. But I am betting the new XIP series of whole house dvr , will be based on the 922 interface , which means I'm sure that DISH will charge $10.00 for that dvr too. Funny that the $4.00 monthly fee would mean so much to me and others, but it does matter. I won't pay for the integration fee with the Google Revue unit for the same reason. It is symptomatic of DISH and their never ending "just because we can charge it" FEES. I refuse to give into it any longer. I had the 922 for about 8 months and that was $32.00 too much in my personal estimate. That and all the bugs I endured with the 922 at the time, made my decision for me. Goodbye 922 and Hello again the 722k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts