Will DISH ever switch system to all HD?

SlyFerret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
I'm just curious, will DISH ever switch their system over to sending every channel in HD and just letting the receiver convert to SD?

Simulcasting SD and HD is a terrible waste of bandwidth. I would think that getting rid of all of the SD signals would make room for more HD.

-SF

only after the replace all the hardware that cant do it
by then some it will be out of data also

They are already starting that with Eastern Arc with the locals. If the local is in HD then no SD counterpart.

I think the one issue is this.....You dont have to take HD as part of your package. In Eastern Arc markets if a customer doesnt want HD (remember "free" HD is optional) they still get HD receivers and they just dont have access to the HD channels. I guess they could use one feed and then the customers picture may look weird if they are watching it on a old SDTV.

I know as example ESPN only sends one feed now (the HD feed) so ESPN SD may have the ESPN logo down the sides (like the HD feed does with no HD)...

We are starting to see them migrate to 8PSK This will open up a lot of space for more HD...

There are still WAY more people with SD setups then HD.

From the chart posted earlier this month, there are many receivers that are not HD. 625, 522, 512, 322, 311. My locals in HD (Rochester, NY) are on 61.5 and SD on 110. So if I was still had an SD receiver, I would not need the earc.

Where old SD boxes go - Model 510

Attachments

• M510.JPG
    M510.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DE02.JPG
    DE02.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 208
if you have WA and SD only yes they ship SD receivers.....they are 8SPK but not MPEG4

Look at the promo they are doing for folks with 508's...they ship a 510

Just a slight correction: We ship a 512 in replace of the 50X/510 receivers

Overall, the message is right though. We're replacing QPSK receivers with 8PSK (but not MPEG-4)

Did a new connect today.. Customer got a 625 and a 311k.. So even new customers are still getting just SD receivers..

Two steps forward three steps back.

At the start of the year Dish would only let us install HD gear on west cost for new customers. to use SD gear was a pain in the rear to get it activated and almost imposible. Then they changed it to deposit customers could only get SD gear and buy HD gear. Now if a new customer gets hd pkg they get hd gear no hd for life no hd boxes. Customer gets a new HD tv in 3 days and wants to flip the switch to hd tuff luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts