So was the "TV Entertainment" thing worth it?

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
IMO, that was one of the stupidest "features" E* has ever rushed out the door. It provided nothing except bugs on the 622. Anyone know what Dish's long-term goal is with that feature? So far, it's just been under 5 minute summaries of shows (and only 3 or 4 of them).

I liked having the pilot to Friday Night Lights on there before the show actually went on. Made me realize I didn't want to watch it.

I got a chuckle of having "Off Air" recorded on there.

I think pilots early can be good, more of that would be nice, but how often honestly will there be pilots to put in there. And honestly, with it not being in HD, I would rather just wait for the actual air date, rather than watch it in SD with stereo sound.

So what would I like to see in there? I did watch the Lost season 1 and 2 recap they had before the season started, and I actually enjoyed that. But honestly I really think I will rarely ever go in there again.

I liked having the pilot to Friday Night Lights on there before the show actually went on. Made me realize I didn't want to watch it.

I got a chuckle of having "Off Air" recorded on there.

That is what I thought too. I didn't even get through 10 minutes of the show before I realized that it was lame.

It's exactly what they had before, downloading recordings to the hard drive. They just make them show up in a different place for a couple of reasons:

(1) easier to find if you want, or easier to ignore if you don't care.
(2) less chance of people complaing about them taking up our precious record time since they don't show up with the normal DVR events.

No. Not worth it. Putting SD crap on a HD receiver; I am just glad it is only in the reserved part of the DVR, and not in the user-controlled 30/200 hours.

I didn't want to watch FNL in SD; I wanted to watch it in HD. Other than that pilot, I haven't seen anything worthwhile on it.

They really should stop playing with SD, if they want to add a feature at least make it HD, then SD boxes can downgrade it if they want, but at least then theres a chance we would watch it.

It's the same reason I never have and never will watch any of their PPV. I watch HD first, HD PPV as a possible second, SD channels I have, then I move on to my DVD collection. I will never pay for an SD PPV and I hope they're listening to that.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. Why the hell would I pay for SD PPV? Or watch a pilot in SD I can watch a week later in HD with surround sound?

They need to figure that out pretty quick.

Yeah, but I don't think Dish cares what YOU will or won't do. As far as they are concerned, knowledgable people with substantial HD setups are heavily in the minority among their subscribers(which I'm sure is actually true). TV Entertainment, and SD PPV are for "Joe and Mrs. Sixpack". You know, simple folk who don't know the difference. YOU are one of their most VALUED cu$tomer$ though.....:D

Anyone else get the message on their receiver this morning that "corrupted content is on your hard drive and everything must be deleted", or words to that effect? The only option is the orange Delete Now button on-screen.

[curse, pressed select]

Drive spins up fast for 15-20 seconds, spins down, box reboots, comes back up and is fine. I hesitantly press the DVR button twice and release a sigh of relief - all my recordings are still there. :clap

Made me wonder if any of the TV Entertainment stuff in their reserved area was corrupted though...

If E* doesn't care about whether HD subs want this feature, then take it off of the 622 and give us the 100GB back. They could easily implement it only on SD DVRs.

It has been totally worthless so far to me. I haven't watched anything from it.

Space is wasted anyway

Bleah...wasting more space...

Since we don't have access to that area of the HDD then it isn't wasting any space for us. BTW the is it Real? Vampires is amusing about real life ID10T cert ppl. That think they have to drink blood to live. It also gives a little history of Vamps and is made by National Geographic.