So was the "TV Entertainment" thing worth it?

It is wasting space that they could give to us. Space that is physically within the receiver.

I would LOVE to have another 12-15 hours of HD recording space. That would be far more useful to me than the tripe E* is sticking into this space.

Try to look at the bright side of this - if they were force feeding us this crap in HD, it would take up TONS of space.

How many hours of SD stuff are they putting on there anyway? I bet if that space were freed up we'd only gain an hour or two of HD recording space anyway.

I agree, if they did away with it and gave us the storage space, we'd maybe gain an hour or so of HD recording space. However, being down to about 9 hours of HD recording time and desperately wanting outboard USB storage capability, I'd gladly take an extra hour of HD recording time! :)

What would be cool is a Calibration/Testing video for HD 5.1 setups in this screen. We can do this with DVD players but can't with the STB's.

Max Wright, every word you wrote regarding the preview on Dish of the Friday Night Lights pilot I completely echo.:) I should add that I recorded the PINKS drag racing for my uncle whose 522 does not yet have VOD, and he loved the PINKS finale episode. I also watched the NatGeo show on vampires. I think the TV VOD's are OK, and it has potential. I expect Dish to do more with it.

Last edited:
I haven't checked the TV Ent. thing in awhile, but I hope the Vampire thing is still there. I spent several years studying the traditional Vampire Lore, and the Modern Vampire in society as well. I'd love to see National Geo's take on the whole thing.

There was an episode of the Dog Whisperer, which is the same one I am DVR'ing tonight in HD, something about a pink dog :) What's the point (in downloading the SD version early, not in the pink dog)?

No, you would not gain only one hour of HD recording time.

Right now you have access to 200GB of recording space on your 622. Dish has reserved 100GB for their programs.

If they allowed you the option to turn off this feature and convert the space to your recordable space, then you would realize a 50% gain in HD/SD recording times.

Dish Mod

I think we were just talking about the space they're using for the fairly useless TV Entertainment feature.

I'd love to have the whole hard drive as mine...

Has any mad scientist tried putting a larger drive in the 622 yet? :)

For that kind of info go to dishmod@yahoogroups.com this is the kind of stuff that they talk about all the time. They don't do anything hacking wise just mod the systems they have to fix problems. They are always talking about putting in bigger drives etc all the time.

The TV Entertainment "feature" is so useful that...

I'd trade the TV Entertainment "feature" for a mere 1MB of extra disk space.

On second thought, make make that 1KB of extra disk space and a fix for the annoying "Pause Bug" :eek:

Talon Dancer

By "Pause Bug" are you talking about the white bar that sits on the screen blocking your view of the paused scene? That annoys the crap out of me and wasn't there when I had Tivo.

By "Pause Bug" are you talking about the white bar that sits on the screen blocking your view of the paused scene? ...
No. By "Pause Bug" I mean the direct jump to "live TV" when you press play after pausing. Note this bug was introduced with the software that enabled the TV Entertainment "feature"on the ViP622. FWIW the Pause Bug effects roughly 1/2 of subs responding to a previous poll in this forum.

Talon Dancer

Okay I got to watch the National Geographic Vampire thing, which was pretty cool. However I'm starting to get annoyed with the TV Entertainment thing. To me On-Demand means that there should be a good variety of items to choose from, and they are actually there for awhile. All of the things we've received so far on our 625 are gone in a few days, before we can watch them (and there is no way to transfer them over to "my" area of the HDD).

I absolutely hate Comcast (they are nothing short of Satan's earthbound minions), but I will give them credit on their On-Demand service. The selection is amazing and stuff stays on there for a long time!

By "Pause Bug" are you talking about the white bar that sits on the screen blocking your view of the paused scene? That annoys the crap out of me and wasn't there when I had Tivo.
After pausing, hit the skip-forward button, it will go away.

After pause, hit the 30 second skip ahead button, then cancel twice and you won't get anything on the screen but the image.

No, you would not gain only one hour of HD recording time.

Right now you have access to 200GB of recording space on your 622. Dish has reserved 100GB for their programs.

If they allowed you the option to turn off this feature and convert the space to your recordable space, then you would realize a 50% gain in HD/SD recording times.

That's HUGE reserve !