So what are the main stations Voom is missing in their programming?

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004

I see Scifi isnt part of voom. What else, as far as sd channels (compared to D* programming)?

randym431 said:

I see Scifi isnt part of voom. What else, as far as sd channels (compared to D* programming)?
I'm hoping you aren't about to make a choice for or against VOOM based on its SD channel lineup. That would be like choosing the best restaurant on how well they prepare a grilled cheese.

QVC, The Home Shopping network, and the Psychic Network. :) I've been most disturbed about not having the Psychic network as I haven't been able to call them and have them predict when the DVR is coming out... :eek:

In all seriousness, there are many of our wives that complain about not having HGTV but the important thing is to get MORE Hi Def programming not SD

subdude212 said:
I'm hoping you aren't about to make a choice for or against VOOM based on its SD channel lineup. That would be like choosing the best restaurant on how well they prepare a grilled cheese.

For some of us, Voom is the "only restaurant in town" due to the location of the satellite. So it's not a bad question to ask.

Also, there's a tendency by a lot of people on this forum to obssess on the resolution of the picture and not the content of the programming. Isn't this like choosing to read only books bound in leather and printed on parchment?

Jeff

JEFFinINDY said:
For some of us, Voom is the "only restaurant in town" due to the location of the satellite. So it's not a bad question to ask.

Also, there's a tendency by a lot of people on this forum to obssess on the resolution of the picture and not the content of the programming. Isn't this like choosing to read only books bound in leather and printed on parchment?

Jeff
The majority, not all by any means, of the folks that sign up for Voom do so solely for the HD content.

wasch_24 said:
The majority, not all by any means, of the folks that sign up for Voom do so solely for the HD content.

I so agree with you. If y ou can't see the difference between HD and SD, then I guess you should select D* or E* as your satellite provider. I want more HD and with more resolution than is currently VOOM can handle. On SD, Foodnetwork, SciFi and whatever TECH TV is now would do it for me. Don't really watch much SD except CNN, MSNBC and FOXNEWS.

I think everyone wants more HD, but with something on to keep your attention. That is why I went for Voom.........HD HD HD
but found out I watched more SD due to the lame programming on the HD channels.

I'd rather hang around and hope that a rumor like sci-fi and USA content heading to BravoHD in HD more worthwhile than bugging Voom to add SD channels.

For me, HD is like Color was in the late 50's early sixties. You would watch anything as long as it was in color. In fact, the more that people watch HD over SD, the higher the ratings and more HD channels will be on.

Dont get me wrong, I'm 100% voom. I also have D* (since 1997) and want very badly to drop D*, so I was checking to see what sd channels voom is missing. I will be dropping D* after that wonderful D* contract expires (on Sept 3rd), but since "I" could be happy as a lark with only vooms hd programming, others in the house need things like Scifi (for stargate) and insists I dont cut their sd programs. So I will be getting what they call "family cable", to supply things like Scifi until voom gets it. If you call voom, they just say they're working on it (getting Scifi). I think its more an issue with adding a new channel and using up their satellite space. I'd imagine when that new 2nd sat goes up, voom will then be able to add Scifi and most all others. Even though voom does a great job in hd programming, they cant ignore sd programming if they want to keep in the race with D* and D*'s future hd plans (dish too). All I know is, if voom had Scifi, it would save me some additional $$$ and stress. Personally, I could care less about stargate or Scifi.

randy we are all waiting for end of this year early next year to see what happens first, new dish with the ability for more SD (ugh)/HD channels, or WM9 which could yield better PQ with more space for more channels.

Fox News

I wouldn't mind Fox News going HD. Laurie Dhue & Juliette Huddy In High Deff WOW! :shocked

randym431 said:
Dont get me wrong, I'm 100% voom. I also have D* (since 1997) and want very badly to drop D*, so I was checking to see what sd channels voom is missing. I will be dropping D* after that wonderful D* contract expires (on Sept 3rd), but since "I" could be happy as a lark with only vooms hd programming, others in the house need things like Scifi (for stargate) and insists I dont cut their sd programs. So I will be getting what they call "family cable", to supply things like Scifi until voom gets it. If you call voom, they just say they're working on it (getting Scifi). I think its more an issue with adding a new channel and using up their satellite space. I'd imagine when that new 2nd sat goes up, voom will then be able to add Scifi and most all others. Even though voom does a great job in hd programming, they cant ignore sd programming if they want to keep in the race with D* and D*'s future hd plans (dish too). All I know is, if voom had Scifi, it would save me some additional $$$ and stress. Personally, I could care less about stargate or Scifi.
This is exactly why I have Directv along side VOOM. I would like to cancel either one or the other to save some money but I think Directv and VOOM both are going to have a home in my house also. Directv has the STD ch's that make my wife and kids happy...and I very rarely watch any STD ch's on VOOM...its all HD on VOOM for me. Also, Directv is adding my locals in HD...mainely NBC which I can not pull in OTA.

I don't agree with watching any "yellow dog" that is in HD. SD still has enjoyable programming. I would rather watch a good show in SD than a bad one in HD. It would be nice to have one service that could provide us with the choice of what we want to watch in both worlds. There are a lot of people on this forum that believe that there should only be one channel (the one they want to watch) and the rest are robbing "their" bandwidth. Sounds a little selfish to me. And before you tell me to run back to my SD, come look at my beautiful 48x85 HD picture (looks good in both HD and SD, but of course better in HD).

I hope the missing channels are added in a progressive manner and that everyone is satisfied with the programming. Block the ones you don't like. I'm looking for the Starz group to add the westerns channel (B&W for those of you who don't know means black and white). Quality entertainment like Maltese Falcon and Citizen Kane were made using this process.

I am paying dish 29.00 just because voom is missing scifi!!
I dont care if its SD, ED, or HD just get scifi :) please

They are missing Sci-Fi, HGTV, Lifetime and The Food Network as notables. They are missing others that I don't notice so much since I don't watch them.

I would rather see Voom come out with another exclusive channel, like change Moov to Home Repair in HD, and WE/AMC/IFC may have HD versions sometime you never know. Sci-Fi content may be headed to BravoHD I know they air more content than just FarScape/Stargate that is in SD... at this point I have HD to watch, if they added SD SciFi as MUCH as I love SciFI, I know myself, I'd watch it 1 day and go "Ho hum, freaking ugly ass SD" and not watch it.

Now if BravoHD starts airing Stargate ATlantis in HD, I'll crap my pants and watch it religiously. I guarantee that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)