Is VOOM really worth the money?

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Being a Directv and past Dish Network customer, I would like to know the following:

1) Is VOOM really worth $49.90 a month? :shocked
2) Would any VOOM customers trade in their VOOM for Directv or Dish Network?
3) I don't currently have an HDTV television, but plan to within the next few months. Would I still be able to view VOOM programming on my analog TV?

Thank You,
Dave :)

1)Yes I pay over $100 a month for voOm and it is worth it for me.
2)No I would not trade my voOm for any other service.
3)Yes, voOm looks great on my 2 analog sets.

1) Yes PQ even on SD channels (don't listen to voomers that are spoiled brats)
2) Yes/No I have HD cable and if they do not get a DVR soon my marriage is in jeopardy
3) Yes I am watching a analog in the bedroom right now and it is better than cable

You do realize that asking a person who has voom about whether you should get voom is pointless right?

1) Worth every penny!
2) Been with D* and E* in the past. VOOM blows them away!
3) Looks great on SD TV!

1) Yup! D* and E* are the same when you add in the HD pack, but with Voom you get a lot more HD!
2) NO WAY!
3) Voom looks good on my 20" TV via RF (Channel 3) input.

Only thing that could hold you back is that Voom doesn't have Regional Sports Networks (except some in FL).

-John

BFG said:
You do realize that asking a person who has voom about whether you should get voom is pointless right?

Wrong!

All of Voomers had some service before the Voom and they can make comparison. I had TWC, then Dish Network for two years, and I know what I am talking about when I say that Voom rules HD.
You on other side cannot compare Voom with HD-less, -lite whatever you have because you never had Voom :D

Voom looks expensive on the surface but price out D*/E*or even your local Cable service with the HD pack and it's a wash. Then concider thatyou get a whole heck of a lot more HD on Voom vs the alternatives.

I had the base Voom service for two weeks before I stepped up to VaVaVoom (now spending over $100/mo for TV!) and it's totally worth it.

Add in the killer value of the $1 install promotion they've got going right now and you really can't go wrong with Voom. Voom owuld be perfect if they had a DVR :).

Shawn

compared to voom
dish & direct is like tv in black & white back in the 1950
GET VOOM GET VOOM todays TV
we had dish before
bob

Considering the fact that my cable company charges $75+ for delivery of 5 HD possibilities (most of which are only whatever the local networks pass through in HD), yes, I'd have to say it's REALLY worth it to me! And the PQ on all counts beats my cable company.

I've never had Dish or Direct, but have seen them at friends' homes, and I think the PQ on VoOm surpasses them.

As far as viewing on an SD set, my experience is that it will surpass what you're used to (others may disagree). But I have a HDTV in the family room and an SD in the bedroom. The PQ on both is superior to what I had previously. I also have friends who don't own HDTVs yet who have switched and been very pleased with their PQ and particularly with the wide variety of programs available.

Good luck in your decision making! Vicki :)

1) Yes...definately worth it...(have the va voom package)
2) Damn...IF there was nothing else...(I hope I don't get nailed for this .....), I guess I would go back to ...*gulp*..D*....
3) I have an analog TV in the bedroom and it looks great(soon to be an hdtv!!!).

..oh yeah, I forgot....when I was with d*...I had the sports pack, HD pack and just HBO and it was about $15 LESS than what I pay with the complete va voom package after taxes and all....

Here's what kind of company you're dealing with- Note that I have all 4 here-

VOOM-
Today, I upgraded my package to VaVa VOOM. I expected to pay a total of $128 per mo for everything under the new pricing plan. Surprise! The CSR rep told me I was in error on the cost. It is the $105. How come? She said that in appreciation for being a loyal VOOM customer since early last year and upgrading today, I would continue to get the original prices that were in effect when I started. All prices include the tax for Florida. She also said I will be contacted as soon as the DVR is available. Expect that to happen very soon, like before June 1.

By contrast- I wanted to know when D* would be adding starz and Cinemax HDTV- Sorry we won't comment on that! Oh BTW your rates are going up.

E* It get's worse. Your rates are going up. And since you paid $1000 for the 921 which we sell for $489 we're going to charge yo for new features of local guide info of $5.99 per month and your rates just went up for AEP too. PS- NBR for the 921- we changed our minds and are not going to do that. No more HDTV eiother as "it isn't compelling." and we want to keep your rates down and we can;t do that is we offer too much HDTV.

Comcast- I'm a special case. They refused to upgrade me to digital cable since my account status is executive VIP status on analog for now. I know it has to do with my business I do with Comcast but you'd think they would simply set me up with a consumer account. No way. I need to contact their VIP services rep who is never in and never answers her e-mail or voice mail. ????? I made them happy and just forgot about them.

VOOM is quickly becomming my main DBS provider here. It was Dish but as soon as the DVR is here, E* will be cut off. I like my HDTIVO so D* has that in the bag for now. If VOOM does go under, D* will be second for my money.

Voom

Spend the 1 dollar for the Install you can't go wrong Voom is awesome compared to Cable and the other DBS providers, Voom has the most HD channels may we all be Vooming on April 1, 2005. :D

I like my recently installed VOOM (jeez... installed for $1.00 !!) It makes my multi thousand dollar "investment" in a Pioneer Plasma worth while.
I also have Dish for a while longer, just for the DVR. When VOOM's DVR is available... no more Dish. I just won't need Dish for anything.
Besides having a beautiful picture, I really like the VOOM originals. I watch them a lot more then I thought I would. Also, VOOM just has a great look. Lots of color in menu,and ads, etc... very fresh and new looking. When I stitch back to Dish (only to watch something I've recorded) it looks old and grey, and very yesterday...
Take a leap. It's only the cost of a pack of gum.

Voom is GREAT for me and for all of us who posted. But there is no way we can tell you that Voom is "worth the money" to you. Take a look at the channel offerings. Make sure the current lineup is what you would enjoy. If so, then go for the $1 install and try it out.

The DVR, PPV, and all kinds of great stuff will be coming. But don't decide based on what will be here later. Make your decision on what's here right now. If Voom is not good enough for you yet, hold off until Voom does offer what you want. New channels and features are coming out every week!

Get the VaVa Voom package...with the recent addition of the SD channels....Voom is an attractive buy. I left Dish and the only issues for me are 1) crude guide 2) no dvr and 3)no Superstations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts