So, what are your plans for your HD-DVD collection?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
I've no qualms keeping my discs (30+) and continuing to enjoy them. In fact, I'll probably continue to buy more as HD-DVDs get price-slashed (as I did this week on DeepDiscount).

As a purple owner of both formats, I know that the qualitative differences are near negligible when it comes to simple movie PQ--so double-dipping just doesn't make sense, does it? That is, until these early releases get 'super-duper special editions' down the line...right ;)? Just like DVD.

In the end, I may use my HD-DVD add-on drive and Slysoft software to rip movies to hard disk and go the HTPC route (I already have close to 2TB of MPEG-2/4 media files recorded via R5000HD off Dish). Then I can just put those discs away (alongside my D-VHS and laserdisc :rolleyes:), until that future date when I pull out the ole coasters and fondly tell my son, "You're too young to remember the war, boy, but..."

But I'm curious what you all are planning on doing...

Last edited:
I have about 25 HD DVD titles now (including the freebees), and even with the cost of those and the A2 itself, I probably still have less invested than the price of a decent BD player alone. I haven't even seen 7 of those titles yet - I buy them quicker than I can watch them!

I will probably continue to buy HD DVD "bogos" and other deeply discounted titles. With 500+ out there it will be a long time before I become bored/saturated with the format.

I won't buy a BD player until the final format (2.0?) is available at a sub $200 price and BD titles are sub $20 routinely. And there is about -0- chance I will duplicate titles I already have in HD DVD...

I don't plan on doing anything different.....When Bluray gets cheaper and a final version is done I will make the switch and buy Bluray....Until then I will continue to Buy HD-DVD or SD-DVD and watch the upconvert if it is truly way way cheaper....

I will keep my current collection but will not be adding any more to it. All my new titles will be on Blu-Ray.

I will keep my current collection but will not be adding any more to it. All my new titles will be on Blu-Ray.

If and when new stock is available for under $10, I really need to consider adding. What if it goes into the $5 Wal-Mart bargain bin? At that point it is in rental territory and no big loss if you toss it in 2-3 years.

Yes, I am adding and buying. And probably get a 1080p spare player when the price is right.

Also, planning to rip and store for a HTPC setup eventually.

I plan on increasing my HD DVD library when the close outs bring prices way down, and I will wait until somebody can come out with a low cost good quality Blu Ray player that is affordable, which probably means a year or more. No Blu Ray player impresses me or interests me, and I do not want a PS3 in my entertainment center. I may wait to see if Toshiba will ever enter the Blu Ray market. I know they have the ability to make great HD player (XA2 for example). I have more than enough HD to watch without paying top dollar to see if Blu Ray will succeed in the mass market. And if it can, then by then the prices will be better and the players will be better. Maybe even the movies will come down in price by then. Hopefully at that time they will have all of the features my "obsolete" HD DVD player already has.

I'll buy some HD-DVD fire sale titles that I don't have and wait for the second generation Denon which hopefully will do DVD-A and SACD (at whatever cost) and Profile 2.0, then be set for a while. Until that player arrives, I'll stick with the machines I have. My HD-DVDs will sit along side my LaserDiscs! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)