So what do you think of Sirius?

Thanks. A couple of notes tho - according to your references, it looks like SACD is 100kHz MAX, not MIN. And DD running at 448kb/s yields 20kHz - must be per channel.

Anyway, I don't see why I need 100KHz per channel - my dog doesn't listen to music. :D

The 5XX, 721, 921 receivers have Dolby Digital in them, among other receivers, why couldn't they decode the Dolby Digital?

Download Channel Guide from Sirius web site...

Foxbat said:
Questioin for someone who already has Sirius: Do the channel #s on Dish match the Sirius channel, less the 6000?

Yes they are the same... if you go to the Sirius web site and download the
channel guide the last two digits match up..

http://www.siriusradio.com/pdf/streamguide.pdf

I printed out a copy so I would not have to keep jumping to the guide...

Attachments

• streamguide.pdf
    777.1 KB · Views: 393
Sweet Momma

It has been a long time since I have actually been impressed with E*. I have been a long time customer and have been satisfied with the service. Love the PVR and I am hoping that HDTV will quickly improve. But adding Sirius is HUGE. :D . I have always listened to the music on E* and admit is was ok better than listening to commercials and or changing disks. But Sirius is an excellant quality Improvement. So when are they gonna charge us more (HA HA)
HDTV IMPROVEMENTS WITH LOWER PRICES SHOULD BE NEXT>
P.S. I have XM in the Car! SWEET! :shocked
Mark

Sirius is excellent!

I love the sound and the selection. I am hooked on the 80's Hairbands channel and like the idea of uncensoring the music. :music Great move by Dish! :yes

SimpleSimon said:
Thanks. A couple of notes tho - according to your references, it looks like SACD is 100kHz MAX, not MIN. And DD running at 448kb/s yields 20kHz - must be per channel.

Anyway, I don't see why I need 100KHz per channel - my dog doesn't listen to music. :D

I stand (sit?) corrected. :) It is 100kHz max, not min. My dog doesn't listen to music either. ;)

So, back to the original question, could Dish send us a 5.1 audio channel? I certainly don't see why not. HDTV with DD 5.1 has got to take up WAY more bandwidth than a single DD 5.1 audio channel with no (or minimal) video.

long_time_DNC said:
I stand (sit?) corrected. :) It is 100kHz max, not min. My dog doesn't listen to music either. ;)

So, back to the original question, could Dish send us a 5.1 audio channel? I certainly don't see why not. HDTV with DD 5.1 has got to take up WAY more bandwidth than a single DD 5.1 audio channel with no (or minimal) video.
Well, we should be glad there's at least ONE dog out there that listens to music: The Sirius dog. :D

Does anyone know if Sirius even has any 5.1 streams? The closest indication on the Sirius website is that their home receivers have digital outputs (which is usually needed for 5.1, but doesn't guarantee it). With E*'s pitiful record on audio channels, I doubt they'd produce their own 5.1 stream if Sirius doesn't have one for them; and if Sirius doesn't have one for their regular customers, they won't make one for E*.

First of all, I love the Sirius. To bad that they do not offer discount to car receiver for Dish customer. I had in my car for several month now. I also wish Dish would carry those comedy channels too......

About DD5.1 issue, I don't think it is fair to blame on Dish. Sirius does not transmit any DD 5.1 stream anyway, nor they have the plan or capacity. Especially, they are using the variable compression to allocate they streams as well. If you listen Sirius in the car (or home unit), you can tell the talk show channel is compressed far more than music channels, the voice distortion are very much noticeable. For DD 5.1, they will need a lot more bandwidth to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts