So what happens when the Deathstar takes over Time Warner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I see that the great Satan aka The DeathStar is buying Time Warner which will give them things like HBO and a whole slough of other channels, channels that are of course carried on Dish, now.

Are they going to play some evil negotiation games to make Dish (and us) pay up some highway robbery rates to keep getting channels we've had for years?

And what will they do to control content? What it ATT execs don't like content on say, Viceland (part of the HBO family) ?? Or they don't like Bill Maher and decide to pull the plug on him for his liberal speech?

What will happen to people that subscribe to HBO NOW streaming service? Will I have to start making payments to Satan instead of HBO? (I won't. EVER.)

I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. And I refuse to give one red cent to AT&T. I would rather do without than give them the time of day much less any of my money. Over the years they've done me some extreme unkindnesses, ripping me off by tens of thousands of dollars over the years (yes, they really did) and I will not do business with them ever, ever again.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think that they are taking control of a lot of channels that I watch and pay for and that I could end up supporting them even if it's by third party. I can well imagine there being a big spat between them and Dish and them pulling all Time Warner content from Dish, that would be a disaster and cause huge harm to Dish. And if I have to make payments to AT&T for my HBO NOW, well I just won't. I'll cancel that too. If they pull Time Warner from Dish or they cause the Dish monthly bill to jump by a substantial amount, I'll cancel my Dish sub.

I guess I should be happy that Charter just bought Time Warner cable and internet as I get my internet (only) from them. Once they mailed me a letter telling me to make payments to Spectrum/Charter my internet speed bumped up by 50% without any fee and once I exchange my old modem for a new one my internet speed will go up by a massive amount. If AT&T had acquired Road Runner I would just go off the internet forever.

I hope that everyone rejects this purchase and contacts their congress critter, the FCC (?) and or the FTC and lets them know what a BAD DEAL this could turn out to be.

Something else on a related note, this also scares me in regards to this massive push to take over the airwaves from the OTA television industry. AT&T has been going on about how good it is to watch TV on your phone, anywhere, anytime. As they continue to acquire the "spectrum" from the OTA industry and acquire broadcast systems (DirectTV) and content producers and distributors (Time Warner) they seem to be in a rush to monopolize ALL the television world. In a few years OTA will be all but dead as they sell off the frequencies and then you will only be able to get your news and entertainment through a few tightly controllled systems.

I remember there used to be a thing about corporations not being able to own all the media. I guess that's dead and gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership THIS SCARES ME.

And this is what's at risk, CNN, the CW (a joint venture with CBS), HBO, Cinemax, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, HLN, NBA TV, TBS, TNT, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Bros., Castle Rock, DC Comics, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and New Line Cinema. To name just a few. There are a lot of other channels not listed here but still under the Time Warner umbrella.

Stuff that I subscribe to that's likely to be affected by this, Dish (AT250) and my streaming subscriptions, Hulu, Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access and two others I can't remember right off. Each one of those streaming services and Dish provide SOME shows and movies that are produced by or licensed by Time Warner and could very likely be affected by this media oligopoly that's building up..

I guess in the end it will be good for me when I cancel a multitude of subscriptions, I'll be saving almost $200 a month if I cancel it all. I'll just go to watching all the old reject B junk on my assorted FREE Roku channels.

So, is there a chance they will squash this sale? There has to be people in government looking at this thinking "Hmmm, this can't be a good thing for the consumers."

(this has been another caffeine fueled angry rant)

Reactions: reddice and Tony S
Trump said if elected, he will do everything he can to squash it. I agree with Trump, but ultimately I'm not exactly sure how much control a pres would have. Hopefully we can replace Wheeler soon.

Trump said if elected, he will do everything he can to squash it. I agree with Trump, but ultimately I'm not exactly sure how much control a pres would have. Hopefully we can replace Wheeler soon.
First its ridicules that any president has any say on things like this!

I just see how it can be stopped?.....Look at the monster they helped create with the Comcast deal?
The FCC allowed it, now you just point to that deal as the precedent sent!

Doesn't the president appoint the head of the FCC? Can't he remand funds by only allowing them to spend X% of the amount allocated by Congress?

Reactions: fbara and dishcomm
The Comcast deal wasn't that bad, as we found out with the latest NBCU renewal. Forced arbitration. Worked out for all.

Doesn't the president appoint the head of the FCC? Can't he remand funds by only allowing them to spend X% of the amount allocated by Congress?

Yes, I believe that the President can recommend a head for the FCC with the approval of the Senate. I am not sure when the terms come up for renewal, I.E. if they are concurrent with Presidential terms.
I hope that the FCC and DOJ quash it, but I doubt it.
As far as AT&T yanking anything from Dish, Charter, Comcast, etc... and the Time Warner cable content being "AT&T exclusive," that will not happen, they will have to likely abide by the same or even more strict rules to allow competitors to have fair access to the content. Now, they'll probably make any data caps exempt on HBOGo, etc.. on their wireless network.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I just see how it can be stopped?.....Look at the monster they helped create with the Comcast deal?
ummm Comcast was stopped

I guess I should be happy that Charter just bought Time Warner cable and internet as I get my internet (only) from them. Once they mailed me a letter telling me to make payments to Spectrum/Charter my internet speed bumped up by 50% without any fee and once I exchange my old modem for a new one my internet speed will go up by a massive amount. If AT&T had acquired Road Runner I would just go off the internet forever.

What is it that most people cannot grasp and comprehend about this subject?

Time Warner Cable is/was not apart of Time Warner Inc. The two split up 7 years ago. Had Charter not purchased Time Warner Cable, TWC would have not been part of the AT&T deal. So AT&T would not have acquired Road Runner, which if you haven't noticed Time Warner hasn't been marketing their broadband service as Road Runner in 7 years, as they would have had to pay licencing fees to Time Warner Inc to continue use the name.

I see that the great Satan aka The DeathStar is buying Time Warner which will give them things like HBO and a whole slough of other channels, channels that are of course carried on Dish, now.

Are they going to play some evil negotiation games to make Dish (and us) pay up some highway robbery rates to keep getting channels we've had for years?

And what will they do to control content? What it ATT execs don't like content on say, Viceland (part of the HBO family) ?? Or they don't like Bill Maher and decide to pull the plug on him for his liberal speech?

What will happen to people that subscribe to HBO NOW streaming service? Will I have to start making payments to Satan instead of HBO? (I won't. EVER.)

I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. And I refuse to give one red cent to AT&T. I would rather do without than give them the time of day much less any of my money. Over the years they've done me some extreme unkindnesses, ripping me off by tens of thousands of dollars over the years (yes, they really did) and I will not do business with them ever, ever again.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think that they are taking control of a lot of channels that I watch and pay for and that I could end up supporting them even if it's by third party. I can well imagine there being a big spat between them and Dish and them pulling all Time Warner content from Dish, that would be a disaster and cause huge harm to Dish. And if I have to make payments to AT&T for my HBO NOW, well I just won't. I'll cancel that too. If they pull Time Warner from Dish or they cause the Dish monthly bill to jump by a substantial amount, I'll cancel my Dish sub.

I hope that everyone rejects this purchase and contacts their congress critter, the FCC (?) and or the FTC and lets them know what a BAD DEAL this could turn out to be.

Something else on a related note, this also scares me in regards to this massive push to take over the airwaves from the OTA television industry. AT&T has been going on about how good it is to watch TV on your phone, anywhere, anytime. As they continue to acquire the "spectrum" from the OTA industry and acquire broadcast systems (DirectTV) and content producers and distributors (Time Warner) they seem to be in a rush to monopolize ALL the television world. In a few years OTA will be all but dead as they sell off the frequencies and then you will only be able to get your news and entertainment through a few tightly controllled systems.

I remember there used to be a thing about corporations not being able to own all the media. I guess that's dead and gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership THIS SCARES ME.

And this is what's at risk, CNN, the CW (a joint venture with CBS), HBO, Cinemax, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, HLN, NBA TV, TBS, TNT, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Bros., Castle Rock, DC Comics, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and New Line Cinema. To name just a few. There are a lot of other channels not listed here but still under the Time Warner umbrella.

Stuff that I subscribe to that's likely to be affected by this, Dish (AT250) and my streaming subscriptions, Hulu, Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access and two others I can't remember right off. Each one of those streaming services and Dish provide SOME shows and movies that are produced by or licensed by Time Warner and could very likely be affected by this media oligopoly that's building up..

I guess in the end it will be good for me when I cancel a multitude of subscriptions, I'll be saving almost $200 a month if I cancel it all. I'll just go to watching all the old reject B junk on my assorted FREE Roku channels.

So, is there a chance they will squash this sale? There has to be people in government looking at this thinking "Hmmm, this can't be a good thing for the consumers."

(this has been another caffeine fueled angry rant)

You sound a bit conspiracy theorist. When it comes to HBO, they are going to want to make profit. Pricing out fans who don't sub to Directv is stupid, and they know that. Also, regardless of anyone's political agenda, including Bill Maher, AT&T aren't known as the great conservatives that you imply them to be. I'll leave the rest of this statement for The Pit.

1. Viceland is not apart of the HBO family. Vice is a show on HBO, but that's it.

2. If they cancel Bill Mayer, LWT, and Jon Stewart they will lost all of their subs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know who Bill Mayer or LWT is, but I think Jon Stewart retired about a year ago.

The FTC is appointed by the President so I am sure Trump could put a stop to it.

I think it is an insane deal from the AT&T shareholder point of view. They are way overpaying for channels that people are dropping left and right. Sports ratings are way down. I guess the CEO of AT&T wants to have some "fun" before he retires with his $100 million golden parachute.

Reactions: andy_horton
The FTC is appointed by the President so I am sure Trump could put a stop to it.

I think it is an insane deal from the AT&T shareholder point of view. They are way overpaying for channels that people are dropping left and right. Sports ratings are way down. I guess the CEO of AT&T wants to have some "fun" before he retires with his $100 million golden parachute.

If Donald even mentioned it he would be making just another big mistake.....Presidents may have opinions, they cannot tell officials how to vote!

And it still comes down to the cockamamie Capitalism mantra!....Funny same people that like one big deal dont like another?

These corporations are killing us, Congress dont care....Just give them there money for the next election!Thats all that matters......Comcast did it, now AT&T will...

Maybe at&t will add HBO Now data usage to their subscribed usage so if you have at&t wireless you HBO Now doesn't count against data usage.

If Donald even mentioned it he would be making just another big mistake.....Presidents may have opinions, they cannot tell officials how to vote!

The whole premise of appointing - not electing - is the party in power appoints people to do what they want. What would be the point otherwise? Rarely - though not unprecedented - will a President or party leader make a statement this person or that person will be voting they way they want. But of course the Party consults with these people and a strategy is arrived at.

Reactions: ChadT41

And it still comes down to the cockamamie Capitalism mantra!....Funny same people that like one big deal dont like another?

These corporations are killing us, Congress dont care....Just give them there money for the next election!Thats all that matters......Comcast did it, now AT&T will...
Keep in mind, I am against the deal, but what negatives have come out of the Comcast/NBCU deal? Comcast is forced to play nicely as a condition of them making a lot more money.

In 2005 SBC Communications bought ATT. They owned Southwestern Bell. one of the baby Bells split off of the original ATT in 1983. So the current ATT is a totally differently managed company than before 2005. It is headquartered in Dallas, TX It has 277K employees who gave it a rating of one of the best companies to work for. It was ranked as the 7th best company for employee diversity. I believe the 25k Time Warner,Inc employees will find a much better employment environment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)