So what happned to Dish beingt he HD leader?

Based ont he mail they send me every month wanting me back, I doubt it, their mail offering i get says FREE equipment with FREE upgrades to HD DVR. As others have said the thing that really keeps me at dish right now is their DVRs. I tried a DirecTV HD DVR 2 or 3 years ago and the OTA sucked, could not get most of my channels. Also with Dish I can record 2 SAT and 1 OTA at same time 9which I do enought to have it matter), DirecTV is 2 records only.
that is true, but those can both be OTA if you want them to be. And OTA tuners are worlds better on any box today than they were 3 years ago.
Both are good DVR's in my opinion

One of the most significant people often cite is the TV2 function. I have two 622s, supporting a total of 7 TVs, and only have to pay one box fee. E* does charge DVR fee for each DVR though. The reason I can do so is because we rarely watch more than three TVs at any given time.

The other one is the external archiving capability. I believe only E* DVRs now have 30-sec commercial skip.

The 622s are as good as we can expect them to be, features are added constantly, that said, lack of HDs will easily get us to look at D*. I simply don't beleive there is that much on the hardware that can justify staying with a provider with less HDs.
OK, thanks for the answer. Although D* HR20 does have external storage with eSATA drives. And it does have a built in 30 sec skip too.

The feed 2 TVs from one box could be cool, although I would imagine wiring that could be a pain.

Anyways... everyone enjoy your DVRs!

OK, thanks for the answer. Although D* HR20 does have external storage with eSATA drives. And it does have a built in 30 sec skip too.

The feed 2 TVs from one box could be cool, although I would imagine wiring that could be a pain.

Anyways... everyone enjoy your DVRs!

Isn't the HR20's "skip" really just a fast forward? It's not the same as the instant skip on the E* DVRs. I also find the ability to record three shows at once an important feature.

From what I've heard it's a hyper FF. One of the D* people termed it "Ludicrous Speed" :D

NightRyder

The actual term is 30 second slip. It is super FF. 30 seconds go by in about 2.5 seonds. I thought I would miss the instant 30 second skip from my old Tivo, but the slip actually works better to judge exactly how much you have overshot a show etc. Great for sports too. You can also stack them (hit the skip button 7 times and the DVR counts them up for you).

Dish's DVR can record 3 things at once which is great but one thing to keep in mind is if you live in a market in which E* doesn't provide HD LiL, then the fact that is only has one OTA tuner becomes a big disadvantage. You won't be able to record two HD network broadcasts at once or watch one and record another at the same time. Thursdays is a perfect example because I want to record both The Office and CSI at the same time. With E*'s DVR one would be recorded in SD.

This issue kept me from switching to E* about a year ago when D* started dropping TNT-HD on Sundays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)