So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

The need for manual timers almost goes hand-in-hand with OTA reception. For non-OTA use, how common is it to need a manual timer ? I know people will come up with scenarios but I'll bet they're not that common....

I've been lucky that, to date, most (if not all) of the subchannels in Charlotte have guide data. For me the only time I've ever used manual timers were for NASCAR rain-outs when a race gets postponed to a Monday while I'm at work. The guides are usually slow updating to reflect that sort of a change, and on a few occasions, never did update to show the rescheduled race.

BTW, the other site is reporting some untrue crap about the Hopper and OTA Tuner.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=3119330&postcount=94

This is 100% not true and is a complete load of crap.

Here's the link to chaney's post itself: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3119305#post3119305 Speaking of whom, don't we have chaney around here too?

OTA for the Hopper is coming and may be here closer then you think.

Didn't you get to play with the Sling Receiver too? That never made it to market for reasons that IMHO don't apply to my home network. I really wish I had one. Unless Dish intended to charge me $7/mo for it! I'm suspicious that's the real reason it was quashed; no obvious way for Dish to capitalize on it (1), and it would have cannibalized Hopper sales.

1) I suppose they could have tried to charge me $300 for one, as Logitech attempted with the Revue. Speaking of which, there's another overpriced product that should have been able to receive the Sling stream, but won't for a Sling Adapter. :(

Last edited:
No I am talking about Mr. Smith, who doesn't have the foggiest clue on what he's talking about. He has never seen or touched an OTA module yet he pretends to be an expert on them (and everything else.

I found it funny when before the Hopper came out he was making all these claims of what it could and could not do and was wrong most everything he was saying. I knew what he was saying wrong because I had a hopper long before it was released. I really wanted to call him out on it but I couldn't say I had a Hopper until they were released.

I find it funny that the other staff there are telling he's full of crap too.

Trust me the OTA module is real and it is coming.

Do you think DISH would post the manual and put the module in the store if it were not close?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep I posted a response there pretty much proving how ridiculous those claims were...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I really don't think it isfair to eqate Mr. Smith's posts with the official word of any site he posts on. It is pretty clear tht they are not exactly thrilled with what the content or the tone of his posts.

No I am talking about Mr. Smith, who doesn't have the foggiest clue on what he's talking about. He has never seen or touched an OTA module yet he pretends to be an expert on them (and everything else.

I found it funny when before the Hopper came out he was making all these claims of what it could and could not do and was wrong most everything he was saying. I knew what he was saying wrong because I had a hopper long before it was released. I really wanted to call him out on it but I couldn't say I had a Hopper until they were released.

I find it funny that the other staff there are telling he's full of crap too.

Trust me the OTA module is real and it is coming.

Do you think DISH would post the manual and put the module in the store if it were not close?

Oh crap. I didn't even think about the date. (This month FLEW by for me so much going on!)

So I take that back... My gut now says by the end of November. :D

(Sorry folks!)

Well I certainly hope you are right because I lost another whole night of programming I just found because of the Hopper's complete inability to recover from any signal loss due to weather. Nothing but blank screen the whole night of programming from Thursday PTAT.

A lot of people unfortunately believe what he says.

I went to bed early last night and you wouldn't believe the number of "is this true?" And "what's your take on this?" Emails and pms.

I don't go over there more then once a week or so and didn't know anything about his silly post until I checked my pms and email.

That's why I had to

cobraman said:
Well I certainly hope you are right because I lost another whole night of programming.

Been there and done that unfortunately. :( I do hope they fix that so it can recover when signal is restored.

Why are you ragging on P Smith about a post from chaney that he merely quoted? OK, he took chaney seriously. But still. IMHO you all should rag on chaney instead.

Read above Krell.

He reposted it like it was gospel. As I said a lot of people think he knows his stuff when in reality he just acts like he knows his stuff.

The big warning from me is what was said about the OTA tuner is not true as I don't want of upset people thinking DISH pulled a fast one and scrapped the OTA tuner. Again not the case.

P Smith, Smith P, whatever.

Highly regarded? :haha
Yes, unless I'm confusing him with someone else (or it could be the crack I'm on). He did uplink reports and also posted s/w update information on s/w that Dish was pushing via the satellite stream. Is it someone else I'm thinking of ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)