So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Originally Posted by AKGolf
"Thanks for the info. Are there any drawbacks that you know of to having the Joey in the main room?"

Originally posted by Dangue
"No pip functionality."

Another "downside" to the Joey is no component video out and no optical digital audio out. If everything in your main room is set up for HDMI, it's not a problem.

"Thanks for the info. Are there any drawbacks that you know of to having the Joey in the main room?"

"No pip functionality."

Another "downside" to the Joey is no component video out and no optical digital audio out. If everything in your main room is set up for HDMI, it's not a problem.

Thanks for that. That would have been an issue a couple of years ago, but not today.

charlesrshell said:
Thanks. Does stream mean Internet things?

No, he means from the Hopper with the recording store on it to the various joeys/hoppers viewing the recording.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No, he means from the Hopper with the recording store on it to the various joeys/hoppers viewing the recording.

Well, you just confused me. Here is a typical situation that we watch a recording. My wife is sitting at Hopper number one (primary TV) and I am at a Joey (garage TV) that is attached to Hopper number 2 (kitchen TV). We both want to watch a recording from Hopper number one at the same time. Are you saying this can't be done?

Sure it can.

Thanks Scott. Just to clear this up for me, lets say wife is already watching a recorded show at Hopper #1 (primary TV). I can turn on a Joey (attached to Hopper #2) and view exactly what she is watching? I get to work the remote of course to skip the commercials and so forth from the Joey location while she sits back and watch.

Thanks Scott. Just to clear this up for me, lets say wife is already watching a recorded show at Hopper #1 (primary TV). I can turn on a Joey (attached to Hopper #2) and view exactly what she is watching? I get to work the remote of course to skip the commercials and so forth from the Joey location while she sits back and watch.

You both can watch the recording but you both would have to skip the commercials.

I know nothing about the technical side of hooking up a two Hopper one Joey system(or any system for that matter) and it looks like the installer at my house hasn't done one. He doesn't think the Joey will be able to see the second Hopper. Something about on the multi-switch there is a port for a host and client and the Hopper is connected to the host, the Joey to the client.

charlesrshell said:

You can both watch, but it will be separate streams/instances of the recording. So no you won't be watching exactly what she is watching not will you be able to run the DVR for her, they are independently viewed and controlled.

You both can watch the recording but you both would have to skip the commercials.

So I guess the answer is no, we are not watching the same exact viewing of the show. If I skip the recordings she shouldn't have to if it was the same viewing. Is there any way of doing what I am asking with the Hopper/Joey? Presently with a 722k at TV where my wife watches TV and I am in the garage at a TV with no STB or device I tune in to a modulated channel from the 722 and view exactly what she is watching and I control the remote. Are you saying the Hopper / Joey can't do that? Also, if I have two Hoppers and four Joeys that is only six TVs. What about the other six TVs in my home distribution system. How do they get any TV service? Thanks for your help.

charlesrshell said:
So I guess the answer is no, we are not watching the same exact viewing of the show. If I skip the recordings she shouldn't have to if it was the same viewing. Is there any way of doing what I am asking with the Hopper/Joey? Presently with a 722k at TV where my wife watches TV and I am in the garage at a TV with no STB or device I tune in to a modulated channel from the 722 and view exactly what she is watching and I control the remote. Are you saying the Hopper / Joey can't do that? Also, if I have two Hoppers and four Joeys that is only six TVs. What about the other six TVs in my home distribution system. How do they get any TV service? Thanks for your help.

The hopper and Joey cannot currently do this with recordings. They can share the live use of a tuner. It is not clear if what you are looking for will ever be made possible. Some others have requested it, but I don't recall anyone indicating that Dish was actively looking into adding this.

The hopper and joeys don't have a home distribution output. Your best beyond mirror output would be with HDMI or component splitters and the cable runs needed to support that.

You may want to consider a third Hopper as that will give you the potential to add a bunch more Joeys in the future (if mirroring doesn't work).

What I did was I used an RF Modulator to back feed to 3 of my old SD TVs. When I watch it on the TV the modulator is connected to EVERY one sees me skipping the comercials as we all see the same thing.
The RF Modualtor cost me $20, it then gave me the old TV2 out like on the 722s.
PROS- I save $84 a year in Joey lease fees times 3
CONS- its not in HD and I had to by extra remotes at $20 new

The hopper and Joey cannot currently do this with recordings. They can share the live use of a tuner. It is not clear if what you are looking for will ever be made possible. Some others have requested it, but I don't recall anyone indicating that Dish was actively looking into adding this.

The hopper and joeys don't have a home distribution output. Your best beyond mirror output would be with HDMI or component splitters and the cable runs needed to support that.

You may want to consider a third Hopper as that will give you the potential to add a bunch more Joeys in the future (if mirroring doesn't work).

OK, thanks. I have started to learn more about Direct TVs HR34 Muli-room DVR. It probably is the same way.

What I did was I used an RF Modulator to back feed to 3 of my old SD TVs. When I watch it on the TV the modulator is connected to EVERY one sees me skipping the comercials as we all see the same thing.
The RF Modualtor cost me $20, it then gave me the old TV2 out like on the 722s.
PROS- I save $84 a year in Joey lease fees times 3
CONS- its not in HD and I had to by extra remotes at $20 new

Thanks ScottChez. Good input.

"No pip functionality."

Thats incorrect as I am using the optical audio output on one of my Joeys.

Thanksgiving is soon so I am guessing the status is now"real soon" for release.
Seems like everything is all ready--store, the manual, even talked to a CSR who knew what it was and that it's not out yet which means there getting training.

Thanksgiving is soon so I am guessing the status is now"real soon" for release.
Seems like everything is all ready--store, the manual, even talked to a CSR who knew what it was and that it's not out yet which means there getting training.
What does Thanksgiving have to do with anything ? Also, having the item in the store and a manual written really doesn't mean that much. Those are certainly things that can be done well ahead of time and sat on. Now, if the typical CSR knows about it, yes, that's a more promising sign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts