So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Do we know if and when OTA is supported, will it ADD a tuner, or use one of the three, a la Directv (of their 5)?

If I understand you correctly, Directv's OTA tuner uses one of their tuner spaces, presumably due to the number of video streams/processing ability. If the Hopper's OTA has a similar limitation, that would be a pretty severe limitation given that we are only dealing with three tuners. I would not be happy with this type of OTA functionality. I always assumed it would be like the 722K where the OTA add-on just adds tuners to total recording capability and doesn't supplant existing tuners.

Who is NOT getting planning on upgrading because of the fact that OTA is missing at launch?

I will not upgrade because of the lack of OTA

Will you upgrade to one once OTA support is available?

Maybe (see below)

What if the OTA support only supported one OTA tuner?

This will irk me

Would that prevent you from upgrading?

Maybe (This may cause me to stay with my current 722k)

pparry said:
I'm definitely going to wait until it actually comes out as Dish's time frames are not always met.

So am I. Along with seamless integration. Not sure I'll update even then, but I think it's a good product.

KAB said:
Do we know if and when OTA is supported, will it ADD a tuner, or use one of the three, a la Directv (of their 5)?

I believe it's been posted that it will ADD a tuner, and not deactivate/replace one of the sat tuners.

ptmccart said:
...... (This may cause me to stay with my current 722k)

If you only have the one receiver, you might be ahead to stand pat, unless you Really want the added tuner etc.

Lack of OTA is not what is holding me up. We rarely record OTA anymore now that DISH has our big 4 in HD now. Current setup is 722 serving HD on Family Room HDTV + SD on Kitchen HDTV; 612 serving HD on MBR HDTV. Use OTA on the kitchen if watching live because SD on HD is crap-e. Also have 2 HDTV's in my son's 2 bedrooms that now are served only by OTA (and XBOXs). Integration between hoppers is not really a holdup either, but it would be nice. Trying to decide whether to go 1 H, 2 J and make my current setup all HD with whole home DVR and PTAT (which would be great for us) and increase my fees from $16 to $24, or bite the bullet and get 2 H, 3 J setup and serve all TV's with HD and go from $16 to $38. Probably reluctantly do the latter after its out for a few months. OTA will be a nice addon when it's available.

BTW it's informative to read everyone's opinions on the OTA matter presented very civilly I think and thanks for sharing.

Lacking OTA support won't impact my decision to Get the hopper. With just my wife and I, we only need one hopper and one Joey. With PTAT it will record 4 shows at a time and we will still be able to record 2 shows from other channels during prime time hours. The hopper blows our 722k out of the water in every aspect. The menu Ui is better, more space, more features, it will only increase our bill 3 or 4 bucks. Now I know OTA would give me 2 more tuners but would I be able to record just local hd channels or would I be able to record any HD channel?

The hopper blows our 722k out of the water in every aspect. The menu Ui is better, more space, more features, it will only increase our bill 3 or 4 bucks.
How so? Do you have another receiver besides the 722k?

No just the 722k is what I've got but I've watched plenty of videos on it and for us it's a big upgrade. I know some of the network names but the channel logos will make finding channels much easier.

Then your bill should increase by $11, right? $6 DVR now to $17 for 1H/1J.

dare2be said:
Then your bill should increase by $11, right? $6 DVR now to $17 for 1H/1J.

It's 6 bucks for the DVr now and 7 bucks for the hd solo box. So getting a hopper and Joey won't increase my bill by much. I'll see a 4.00 increase that's it. Just the whole home DVr fee of 4 bucks. So yes it'll go to 17 bucks but it's not a 11.00 increase. So for me to get the new DVr makes sense. My dad has AT&T now and will be going to dish soon. We will probably get hopper on the same day. They are paying about a hundred bucks just for the tv portion and 70 bucks for the Internet and phone. If it was a 50 dollar increase then I wouldn't do it. However if you have a household with 2 hoppers and 3 joeys then the 3 joeys will run you 21.00+ 4.00 whole home DVr fee + 6.00 DVr cost so it would cost 31.00 bucks just in fees. If someone is paying 17 bucks for additional DVr costs now then they will for sure save $$. We will just have to wait and see what the official pricing is .

However if you have a household with 2 hoppers and 3 joeys then the 3 joeys will run you 21.00+ 4.00 whole home DVr fee + 6.00 DVr cost so it would cost 31.00 bucks just in fees. If someone is paying 17 bucks for additional DVr costs now then they will for sure save $$. We will just have to wait and see what the official pricing is .

Don't forget the $7 for the second hopper. Total fees would be $38.

That doesn't make any sense.

You said before you only have a 722k. Where does the $7 HD solo box fee come from? If you are considering adding a 211, then yes the difference between a 722k/211 combo and a Hopper/Joey combo is $4. But H/J is still $11 more than the lone 722k you have today.

In the words of Dana Carvey as President George H.W. Bush: "Not gonna do it! Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture!"
Nope! I GOTTA have OTA!
There are certain customers who have "moved" to the nearest campground, therefore OTA is the only way they can receive certain channels. Are ya with me? ;-)

Neutron said:
We're waiting until OTA support is there. Our locals are not in HD and there's no timeframe at all on if/when DISH will provide my locals in HD. While PTAT sounds like a good idea for me, we just can't take advantage of it.

Same here

Waiting for the OTA tuner (hopefully two of them) and then I'll evaluate the difference in cost. Right now only have one 722K with tv2 and ota feeding the other two tvs. Sure would be nice to have sat HD at the other two tvs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)